“Depends on what you're looking for...”
Review of King Copper Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Copper Harbor
King Copper Motel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Copper Harbor
Minneapolis, MN
“Depends on what you're looking for...”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

So...if you're coming to this hotel (or Copper Harbor in general) looking for a fancy hotel, you'll be disappointed. However, if you're coming looking for a very clean room and comfortable bed, you're in the right place. This motel is straight out of the 50s and hasn't really changed since then. But the beds are new and the linens are nice. And the place was VERY clean. Actually, cleaner than I'd expected, even for a well kept old motel. And you can't beat the view! The staff was very friendly as well.

Room Tip: They have three buildings...get the one right on the harbor, preferably an end unit.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alstensby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Midland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I stayed only one night but it was very nice. Right on the water by the marina, deck with a chairs outside our window to watch the sunset. Quiet and comfortable. Walk to everywhere in town. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Room one gets you the deck and chairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Being int he business myself...cleanliness is a must and our room was spotless! No it is not a $500.00 a night hotel but that's not what we wanted. It was quaint, clean, and cozy. The bed was incredibility comfortable and very nice to sleep in. The view of the lake was beautiful. Mary was great and very accommodating. Thank you for a great weekend!

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake have the best view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela M
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We arrived mid week during the off season and were glad to find something open. We wanted basic lodging, and this was fine. I believe they have two buildings. We stayed at the one on the water. Great view, loved the seagulls coming and going. We were the only guests,and the room was some distance from the hot water heater, so we needed to waste quite a bit of water to get it hot, but then it was nice and hot. Clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Escanaba, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was a little turned off by our room especially for 80 dollars. It was nice to see copper harbor but we will definitely not go back. We had our 2 year old with us and we didn't even want to take his socks and shoes off which was a huge fight considering he dislikes both. The bathroom door wouldn't shut, we had to put chairs in front of the doors to keep our son from running outside, there were spider webs in the corners of the room and under the table along with a huge spider that ran under the bed when we tried killing it. By far the worst experience in a motel.

Room Tip: Stay at a bed and breakfast
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Josh J
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I realize this is a tiny town in the far north of the UP, and I wasn't expecting anything fancy in a motel, but I did expect better than this for $90 a night. I've stayed at better motels in bigger cities for less money. Within half an hour after getting into our room my husband asked if we should find somewhere else to stay, but we decided not to since we had already paid for our entire stay (which I found very odd. We travel a lot and never once have we paid for the room at check in).

On the positive side of things:
- The view was spectacular. It was the best thing about our room (we stayed in the building on the waterfront).
- The bathroom sink was nice. I believe it is the only part of the room that has been updated in the last 10-20 years.
- The room was very big.
- The staff was very friendly

On the negative side of things:
- The front door of the room was hard to close
- The lock on the sliding glass door didn't work (there was a stick to use to prevent the door from fully opening)
- The bathroom door was a "pocket door" that was near impossible to pull out of the wall. Good thing it was just my hubby & I and we don't have a problem leaving the bathroom door open around each other.
- There were 2 spots on the bathroom floor that had obvious mold growing underneath. One spot was in front of the shower and the other spot was around the toilet.
- The beds were very hard. My husband joked on our second night that the floor would probably be a more comfortable place to sleep.
- Aside from being an older model TV (which isn't that big of a deal to me), we had horrible TV reception. In a small town where there isn't much to do after dark other than go to the bar (which isn't really our thing) it would have been really nice to have good TV reception in our room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 2012MrsC
Michigan
Reviewed 13 September 2013

First and foremost you need to remember where you are at. You are in a small at the end of the road U.P. town. If you are looking for granite vanity tops and flat screen T.V.s you are in the wrong place.
I travel to Isle Royal just about every other year and always stay at King copper it is right next to the queen 4 and next to a bakery that you can grab a coffee and watch the sunrise before you get on the boat.
The place is old but clean, I grew up in the 70’s and this place looks just like the inside of my home back then, you will travel back into time when you open the door. The staff is friendly and their day rotates around cleaning and a Back in 10 min cardboard sign. The views from the rooms on the harbor are breathtaking, you will find birds and what comes along with them but find me a harbor that does not have that issue. The place gets booked up on summer weekends so call in advance.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Been to King Copper Motel? Share your experiences!