“Excellent party held here, service was brilliant”

the royal George Greenfield
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Greenfield
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We held a surprise party here for my brother and the entire experience was excellent. From contacting the manager Jason (at short notice) through to the evening itself, the whole thing was perfect for what we needed. Everyone had a great time, the staff were all friendly and very helpful and the food was great. Everything we hoped it would be, especially given that it was typically more short notice than would usually be given for this type of event.

They catered for children and the atmosphere in the bar and wider pub was also warm and friendly.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Visited early on a Friday evening in a party of 5, some of whom had heard good reports of the carvery on offer. Three had the carvery and two chose from the menu which is extensive but generally seemed to be mass catering/microwaveable food. No experienced chef cooking main meals to order here methinks, or if there is he/she needs retraining. The three who had the carvery enjoyed it and considered it good value for money. However, I chose from the menu and had the fish cakes starter. The tartare sauce was nice but the fish cakes, although large, were flavourless, and all bread/potato. At least I think that was what it was. Never really decided.The "gammon egg and chips" as a whole was dire, although the gammon was not salty. But, the chips resembled and tasted like dry cardboard strips being totally flavourless, and, after trying one or two I simply left them. I am sure I could have bounced the fried agg on the floor or used as a ball at Wimbledon it was so rubbery and overcooked. My wife asked me why I had got black olives on my plate until I confirmed that the small black shrivelled things she was referring to were actually mushrooms. Tastless and burnt beyond recognition. I chose not to risk a dessert. The other member of the party who also chose from the menu had steak and ale pie which he said should have been cooked for longer and slower, and told the waitress this when paying, but I doubt they will take any notice. And being a Friday night with a large party on an adjacent table made a quiet family evening very tiresome what with all their shouting and with kids running around uncontrolled. Like dining in a creche.
Haute cuisine the Royal George is not, and, all in all a place to avoid if you want a decent meal, although the service from the little girls was efficient.
Never again.

6  Thank AWTTC
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Found this gem whilst at the Yanks weekend. Dog friendly great food and a really friendly atmosphere. Open Mike night on Sunday was really really entertaining. I have read the one star reviews and can only say that they must have had a really bad day as our visit in the afternoon was very friendly chatting with the landlord with the best carvery we have ever had and the evening visit was a great night of entertainment on the open Mike night. Can't recommend this place enough.p

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Came to a Friday night for food and to watch the live music. The food was simply beautiful. I ordered the cod and mash in a garlic sauce and it was delicious. The band who started at 9 were great. Covers band with some brilliant song choices. An overall tremendous evening.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We only live around the corner and didn't realise how many events actually take place at The Royal George. FANTASTIC NIGHT OUT :)
Dave Johns and Tom Stade on stage at a bargain price, we cried all night laughing and then went downstairs after the gig had finished to find live music and an open night mic. Brilliant!! The young lad on guitar singing was amazing, what a superb musician. We will certainly be coming back. Top marks Royal George, the staff were super efficient at serving all the crowds at the bar. Big thumbs up and thanks again for a great night out