“21st birthday party ”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We held my sons 21st birthday party here last night. Absolutely fantastic night, the room looked stunning. Meat & potato pie and hot roast beef butties for supper went down a treat. Nice selection of Gins too.
Staff were all fantastic. Thank you all for making Danes night special.

Would highly recommend booking this venue.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

I highly recommend The royal George for any parties or even just going for a meal / drink. Jason and Emma worked very hard to make my wedding so special so a big thank you to them and the bar staff was amazing to thank you. The carvery is the best one we have had my husband loved it because he can have as many Yorkshire puddings he want :)

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Just been here and had a lovely carvery, starters and drinks all delivered in a timely manner, bit of a queue for the carvery but it is Sunday and it was certainly worth the wait, great value for money and the Gravy is a bit special will definitely be back

2  Thank L1ttlemisswee
Reviewed 31 August 2017

the service is terrible, we waited nearly an hour for a starter then the same again for the mains.

staff walk around not knowing what they are doing in a trance.

food average.

would not return.

4  Thank TerryJohn65
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We visited The Royal George on 25th August as we were visiting the area, it was my wife’s birthday, we had read good reviews about this place and it appealed to us as it is dog friendly. We ordered food at 8pm and were told that there was a 20 minute wait which we were fine with. 30 minutes later we received our starters and after another 15 minutes when we had not received our mains I checked with the waiting staff and I was asked if our starter plates had been cleared away. When I replied no, I was told that this was why we had not received our mains and he apologised advising that the mains would be 5-10 minutes. At 9.10pm (bear in mind that we were initially told there was a 20 minute wait) we received our mains. I had ordered beef on a sizzling plate / stone which arrived with so much sizzle that I could put my fingers / hand on the stone without any risk of getting burnt so quite how the steak was supposed to cook I have no idea. I went to see the staff again and was apologised to and told that the chef would do me a fresh one that would be 5 minutes. 15 minutes later (it was now 9.25pm after ordering at 8pm) a sizzling plate arrived with my steak but by this time I had gone beyond the point of being hungry. When I asked to settle the bill I asked to speak with the duty manager as I wasn’t happy about the service that we had received. I explained the situation to the assistant duty manager and advised that I wasn’t happy about waiting almost 1.5 hours for food. I was apologised to and told that she could knock 10% off the bill!! When I told her that I was not happy with this and asked her how she would feel if she had gone out for a meal and had to wait 1.5 hours for food – the response was ‘I am in this business so I would expect to wait that long and that the 20 minute wait that the bar staff advised did not include cooking time!. I pointed out that I am not in the catering / food business and am a paying customer, the bar staff should quote the correct waiting time I & do not expect this kind of service and asked to speak with her manager. At this point in time I was told that the steak would be free which I accepted. However, it did not take away the fact that we had gone there for my wife’s birthday who had ended up eating her meal whilst I looked on. This wouldn’t have been the first time that a sizzling steak had been ordered so quite why it was ever allowed to leave the kitchen I have no idea and the place was not that busy with people eating so I would dread to go there if it was really busy. Overall, a very poor experience & I would not go there again for food if in the local area.

3  Thank Martin_Zoe