“Our day was made very special by the hotel staff.”
Review of Scafell Hotel

Scafell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosthwaite
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We had our wedding and reception at the Scafell Hotel on May 20th 2011. Our wedding was held in the Sun Lounge which is a beautiful lounge and the reception in the bar area nearby. We wanted an informal, intimate and relaxed day and that is exactly what we got.
The staff there were very friendly and helpful and really helped to make our day very special, nothing was too much trouble.
We didn't want a sit down meal, we wanted our guests to be able to choose their own meal so therefore went with the bar menu that is available. All of the food was of a high standard and was prepared as people had asked without a long wait for it to arrive.
We had a fabulous day and have some lovely memories.
Thanks very much Scafell staff :-D

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Scafell Hotel

Reviewed 16 May 2011

Booked this hotel as seemed like a good location for walking - and it is! Our room was on the small side but well furnished and very clean. The bathrooms are again small but the shower was really powerful and much better that most which just dribble out water. The towels were large, warm and fluffy. The eveing meal in the restaurant was very good and if you think you would like to eat in the restaurant you should book D,B&B as this works out much cheaper. The waiting staff are very helpful and attentive. The cocktail bar was very comfortable and lovely to sit in before and after the meal.
The only negative points were the noise in the night coming from a boiler or pipes - which 'pinged' every five seconds for intervals through the night. The packed lunches pre booked were not ready for us and the sandwiches were very poor. Fortunately we checked our bill as we were charged for a phone call we had not made (this was then deducted from the bill). Despite this we would stay again as the staff are so friendly and the food good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigjude
Reviewed 6 May 2011

This was our sixth stay at the hotel and it continues to impress.

As keen walkers/climbers the location is ideal with loads of routes right on the doorstep. The hotel rooms have recently been refurbished and the exterior redecoration is presently underway. Having stayed in different rooms on each occasion, the sizes do vary and some could be considered somewhat small, however, all are well equipped and very clean.

The restaurant food is excellent and I would strongly recommend the dinner b & b option. The service from the water and waitresses was exemplary.

If fault could be found, it would revolve around some occasional noise. Our last room at the rear of the hotel seemed to be above a boiler room? which resulted in a fairly loud humming throughout the night and some of the fire doors seemed to possibly need adjusting as they seemed to echo around the room when opened and closed in the corridor.

Room Tip: Book a half board mini-break
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

We booked to stay at this hotel for my 35th Birthday with our two young children. The area itself is outstanding and so beautiful. The hotel was lovely and had gorgeous gardens which were very well maintaned. One of the main booking advantages for us was that it is dog friendly. The dog was allowed to stay in the room while we enjoyed the hotel facilities. On arrival we were given a very warm welcome by the reception staff and showed to our room. The rooms were bright and airy, and to my relief had a tile floor with a rug (in case we had a doggy accident. The beds were very comfy and the pillows were lovely and soft. The decor was very nice and light. The bathroom had both a bath and shower facility and was very nicely done. Our room overlooked a beautiful river which in March was very low so the kids played for hours down there with a net and throwing stones. There were a lot of hikers in the area, and although this isnt really my scene, the hotel had catered for those by providing a tour guide and guided walk, which i thought was a lovely touch for those who enjoy it.

The staff were all so friendly and made my children feel very welcome. The food....well the only word to describe it is OUTSTANDING! We have eaten in some top quality restaurants and I have to say that the food here in the restaurant was beyond compare.
For a more chilled atmosphere, they have a seperate bar, serving bar meals , which again were top quality.

To sum up......Book here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Myself and my wife decided to book a short break in the Lake District as a treat for our wedding anniversary.
We booked two different hotels and had an excellent stay in our first hotel, however the second night was at the Scafell Hotel.
I had not stayed at the Scafell Hotel before so I checked out their website.
On arrival at the Hotel I was very disappointed that the building was not quite as pictured in the photographs on the website.
The exterior looked grubby and run down, and although there was a sign apologising for the state of the place due to external redecoration I can only think that it must have been pretty bad before the redecoration started.
We were shown to our room which although clean and tidy was very small with what was described to me as a standard double bed, but seemed rather small.
On route to the room we passed along a corridor with a large bleach stain on the carpet, we were told "oh sorry about the bleach stain the cleaners were a bit careless"
We next checked out the bar area, this could not be accessed through the hotel and we had to walk around to it in the rain.
This area "The Riverside Bar" was a stone floored walkers bar full of wet hikers and their wet dogs.
Now I have nothing against wet walkers (I have been one) or wet dogs (I own three) but
I was not expecting my main area of relaxation within the hotel to be like this.
The small residents cocktail bar closed soon after our arrival.
We were so disappointed that neither of us wanted to stay so we asked to speak to the manager.
The manager listened to all our complaints but totally refused a refund, he would not even refund the prices of the evening meals which we had booked but were not due to eat until later.
His last - take it or leave it offer was a £30.00 reduction on the entire price including meals and a free bottle of wine or we could leave but still pay full price.
My offer was I would give him £50.00 for his inconvenience and leave.
He refused my offer so rather than waste all our money we had little choice but to stay.
We went out for the early evening rather than use the Riverside Bar and returned for our evening meal.
On a positive side the food was excellent, the service in the restaurant was very good and our waitress Laura was friendly and attentive, and the free bottle of wine was provided.
We found the room noisy and had a poor nights sleep.
We left the hotel deeply disappointed, and would never return.
I personally found the attitude of the manager to be pretty uncompromising and not "guest friendly" his main response to my criticism was that I had booked the hotel through Booking.Com and not through him.
Since he advertises and uses Booking.Com as part of his business I thought this was somewhat irrelevant.
To sum up I would not recommend this hotel to anybody I know.
If you are a hiker and simply require a convenient stop off which is on your route, where you can have a pint in the bar without worrying about your muddy boots and wet clothes it might be for you.
I would add that even after the reduction was applied this hotel was more expensive than our first hotel despite the first hotel being in my opinion immeasurably better.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank kaibolton
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Stayed for 3 nights while on a walking break in the Borrowdale valley area. Staff were very friendly and room was a good size with a fantastic powerful shower. Choice of dining formally in hotel or more casually in ajoining bar was very welcomed. Would definitely stay again - beautiful location.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Had a very nice night in the Scafell Hotel in March 2011. We booked the night before our stay using late rooms and got our room for an amazing £78 for two people b&b.

We were greeted by a very nice, professional and very cheerful lady who explained that she wasn’t usually the receptionist but in fact the cleaner that was standing in.

The feel to the dining rooms and public areas was the usual old fashioned lakeland style which is pretty much what we expected, but once we opened the door to our room (no 3) we were pleasantly surprised by the small but very modern bathroom and tastefully decorated bedroom which was very clean.

On this occasion we didn’t really fancy the formality of the hotel restaurant but opted for a bar meal in the hotels riverside bar. we found a crackling log fire, local lakeland personalities and good food for a modest price ... what a gem of a bar

A gorgeous breakfast was served by the previous nights very helpful barman from the riverside bar.
I had the usual english grill while my wife opted for the kippers with a poached egg. both were outstanding.

A highly recommended hotel in an absolute gorgeous part of the lake district

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosthwaite
Lodore Falls Hotel
The Derwentwater Hotel
The Derwentwater Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Scafell Hotel? Share your experiences!