“An outstanding hotel! Excellent and friendly service”
Review of Scafell Hotel

Scafell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosthwaite
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We recently returned to the Scafell for a short break, we knew we would be well looked after; but this time staff seemed to excel themselves. We were all in need of some pampering and we were cared for by everyone to an extremely high standard. This hotel is really friendly, yet retains its air of calm and professionalism- a true country house hotel that benefits from being privately owned. On arrival, we were offered a room with wet room facilities as I was recovering from knee surgery, our dog was pampered, as usual, even more so as she had recently lost her playmate, reception staff minded her at mealtimes and fed her tit-bits- Doggy Heaven!
We were made to feel so welcome, our room was clean, and warm- sadly this August central heating was sometimes required- but the heating was on when needed. All meals were brilliant, any special requests were accommodated and the service was both efficient and entertaining- thank you Laura! We could not have asked for a better holiday - even the sun shone some days! Looking forward to returning- yet again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my partner and baby. The lakes are a lovely place to visit but i must say this is the worst hotel i've ever stayed in. When we arrived the receptionist had to leave eating her dinner to check us in, we wish she hadn't she was so rude, we felt very on edge from this moment on!! We thought the first face you see would be the most polite.

We got to our room and there was no where for my baby to sleep, even though we had specified quite clearly in our booking that we were taking a baby....my partner reluctantly went to reception and asked for a cot.

As we had traveled for a couple of hours we decided to go and have something to eat in the pub, the food is fairly priced, but the food is not of the standard we expected, considering there didn't seem to be any other places to eat close by. My partner had a burger and his chips were cold, and not just warm but cold, as if they had been left out for hours. I ordered a salmon and cream cheese sandwich, and i found a hair in it!! Eeeeww, i can cope with cold chips but hairs in my food, we just got up and left.

We had booked on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast rate and therefore we felt because we had paid for dinner then we should take advantage of it....It took a while for me to persuade my partner but eventually we went down for dinner. The food in the restaurant was hot (thank god), however I felt the time we had to wait (40 minutes for a main course) was to long, I wondered if we were paying full price for dinner if the service might of been better. But over all dinner was ok.

Then the fun began, we went back to our room, put our baby to bed. After having a bath (nice bathroom) i got into bed to find (yet again) a hair in my bed. I know it was only 1, but still it's disgusting. I rang reception and I was told 'it's only 1 so to brush it off my bed!!' charming!

Eventually settled down to watch TV and the noise started, i think our room must have been above the pub that is attached to the hotel, it was very noisy and woke my baby up twice...We did consider complaining to reception, but after the abrupt response earlier in the evening we refrained.

Overall I would never ever stay at this hotel again, we paid £130 for the stay and we were expecting a good quality service for this. unfortunately we were sadly disappointed. I hope the Scafell improve their standards, as it's definitely not worth the price you pay!!!

Room Tip: If you do decide on this awful hotel then choose a room away from the bar!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank sarah d
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This is a nice hotel in a fantastic location, but it is the staff that make this place outstanding. Polite, helpful and attentive, they go to trouble to ensure that you have a comfortable stay - it is the sort of service that you don't often see in the UK. I stayed for one night in a single room as part of a solo walking weekend. The room was great and good value too. Freshly decorated and nicely furnished. I didn't eat the bar or restaurant, as they did room service. I had a burger and it was really good. Breakfast was also good and started at 8am which is good for walkers. I booked at the last minute and chose simply on price and location, so I didn't really have very highly expectations. However, I was definitely proven wrong and it will be my hotel of choice in this area in future.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2012

You get a very warm welcome from all the staff. The rooms are tastefully furnished and of a high standard. The food is superb as is the great selection of wines. We come back as frequently as we can as the hotel is situated perfectly in The beautiful Borrowdale Valley which is perfect for walks right from the door. We also on occasion bring our Cocker Spaniel Milo with us who is also made very welcome too.

Room Tip: All the rooms have been recently referbished to a high standard so any room you stay in is very comf...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Had a great stay... All the staff were friendly and very attentive... Had a meal in the restaurant, the food was yummy... Even our little dog izzy had a great stay and felt at home.. It was our second stay and sure we will be back many times!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Situated in England's most beautiful valley, The Scafell has. Charm, character, excellent food and great service. Many of the rooms have been recently renovated to a high standard and there is a cosy and traditional cocktail bar and restaurant. There is also a public riverside bar selling real ales and food. Though all is good about The Scafell, the breakfast is particularly outstanding with orders taken and cooked to order, no buffet breakfast here with Luke warm eggs and insipid bacon, it truely is an experience.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Just simply superb weekend with the staff and management doing everything to make the weekend most memorable. We love this hotel for its position in the heart of Borrowdale and its home from home for us. Very comfortable with excellent food and the best 'Chablis'. We keep coming back for more of the same so it must be good !!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Derek L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosthwaite
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
The Leathes Head Country House Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
#3 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Scafell Hotel? Share your experiences!