“Beautiful surroundings, wonderful hospitality and lovely food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scafell Hotel

Scafell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosthwaite
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful surroundings, wonderful hospitality and lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

Have just returned from our fourth stay at The Scafell. As ever we had a marvellous time - staff are cheery and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble, service was excellent and the food truly exceptional. We will definitely be returning again next year!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank mimimimi_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Exactly a year since our last visit 15 of us returned for more fellwalking on the Remembrance Sunday weekend. It was good before but is even better now. Miles, the owner, has clearly assembled an excellent team around (and encouraged them to stay - always a good sign)including the North Eastern section who are as entertaining as they are efficient. My room this time was very much superior to last year (albeit in the annexe again) and was styled in up to the minute boutique chic including a freestanding roll top bath. The service was top rate and as for 'value for money' our weekend package merited a six on a five point scale (sound a bit like the guitar volume control in 'This is Spinal Tap' but I know what I mean). Overall the food this time had gone down a tad in comparison (but was still good). Some guests felt there was insufficient hot water but I had plenty (maybe too much?). Whether you can negotiate the same deal we had or not I would urge you to visit the Scafell, a beautiful hotel in a beautiful part of the UK where you will be exceptionally well looked after.

Room Tip: My room this year (room 19) was a massive improvement on last year (room 14) albeit both are in the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank charles494
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We came here for a two-night break after being repeatedly disappointed by our regular Lakes hotel. Our first impression was tarnished somewhat by the chock-a-block car park leaving nowhere to stop at all until we found the overflow car park further on, although you may need your wellies to navigate the puddles. Check-in was quick and easy with the friendly and helpful receptionist. Our room (we stayed in the annex, room 25) was spacious with a good bed and up-market décor. We were lucky enough to have a full wi-fi signal in our room, although others didn’t.

We ate in the Riverside bar both nights. It is firmly in the “walkers’ bar” camp with hard floors and minimal decoration but once it fills up a bit (and it does, as it seems to be the only pub within a few miles and hugely popular) has a much better atmosphere. There are several real ales on tap and good pub grub on the menu. Although we enjoyed eating here we will be in the restaurant next year as it is difficult to have a relaxed meal in such a busy environment.

Breakfast was first-class with a wide range of cereals, juices etc and hot food cooked on demand. The poached eggs were perfectly done but I have to recommend the kippers – delicious!

My only minor gripe with the hotel was the lack of hot water on Saturday evening. Although a few of our party of nine managed hot showers some of us ended up with a luke-warm or even cold shower. I can imagine that, at a certain time in the evening, a large number of guests would be attempting to shower at exactly the same time. But for a hotel targeted towards cyclists and walkers they would have to expect people wanting to shower in the evening and plan their services accordingly. I have stayed in far worse hotels where there is plentiful hot water even at peak times and the Scafell Hotel could (and should) lose custom with small niggles like this.

Room Tip: River views available in the annex. Room 25 gets a wi-fi signal.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MorganPeat
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night break at the Scafell hotel. Lovely open fires in the hotel bar and the pub, clean rooms and comfy beds; excellent breakfast choice. Unfortunately what would be a 5 star review is let down by the plumbing - the shower, which was lukewarm to start, ran out of water after about 3 mins. When I called reception, I was advised to wait 15 mins til other guests had finished and then try to see if there was enough water getting through the system to wash off the shampoo and soap suds. Not the best for a walkers hotel. A shame, although it hasn't put us off booking to go next year - just watch that you don't try and shower at obvious times!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank MepLon
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

As my tally of Wainwirghts closes in on 200 this trip brought me to Borrowdale. I had read Trip Advisor in detail looking for a good hotel as I was here for 6 days and wanted to make sure I did not end up in a dump. I must admit I was a little wary of some many 5 star reviews but wow was I impressed.

The location is perfect for walking the fells in this area with dozens of routes available within a short drive or in fact straight from the hotel doorway. The room was great I had a twin room at the back and it was spotlessly clean and the bathroom was brilliant lashings of hot water nice deep bath exactly what one needs after walking the fells !!

Downstairs was great a nice little bar in the hotel, a nice snug with a roaring log fire and a restaurant that served brilliant food at a very reasonable prices. The breakfast was fresh cooked to order and was really nice. If you wanted a packed lunch they made you one up no problem.

For those not wanting the restaurant every night attached to the hotel is the Riverside Bar another superb facility the bar was spot on loads of different beers and great portions of pub food (although I might suggest having a dish that had rice or pasta as all had chips) the food in here was though really really nice and the beers were excellent.

Wireless which is a big thing to me was only available in the reception and downstairs lounge and not the bedrooms BUT this was made clear to me on my booking so was not an issue. (If I might suggest to the manager though for about £50.00 you can purchase a wireless booster you just plug into a wall socket which would make the signal a lot stronger in the lounge area) Wireless was good quality though when connected.

Now for the good bit the staff .... I have stayed in 100s of hotels over the years and it is rare that you find such friendly and accommodating staff NOTHING was too much trouble for them and they were genuinely interested in chatting about walking the fells within hours of checking in you felt like you had known them years !!! Any other hotel in the Lakes want to know how to treat customers you might want to book in this place and learn a lesson or two

Room Tip: Riverside Bar right next door serves great ales and pub food
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul-Stocksbridge
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Wonderful location. Good rooms. Clean and warm.
Restaurant staff were by far the worst I have ever come across - anywhere. Slow service, insulting and generally very rude. Completely ruined a rare Saturday break.
Could be so good but...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Andrew10871
AGNscafell, Owner at Scafell Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and mentioning our quailty rooms. Regarding our Team however I must rise to their defense, as you and other customers reading this can see from the previous reviews on Trip Advisor our Team are renowned for their friendliness and warm welcome. On the Saturday night in question where you say service was slow and the staff rude (neither of which was evident as I watched the room), i was actually dining in the restaurant myself with other hotel guests and sadly witnessed a customer (on a larger table) being rude and offensive to a member of our team, apparantley because of his sexuality which i left for the Management on duty to deal with. After enquiring with our Hotel Manager on Sunday morning if we had any issues with the table I witnessed being offensive on the Saturday night, he confirmed it was your groups table. Our Manager also passed onto me that on check when asked you stated that your stay had been good. As both the General Manager and I were in the Hotel all weekend it's a real shame you didn't discuss your feelings face to face as i'm sure 'clearing the air' would have resulted in a relaxing stay and no need to post negative comments about our wonderful team.
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

A one night stay here. Over the years, I think we have stayed at every hotel in the Borrowdale Valley and this is definitely one of the best. The staff are friendly and most of the rooms are very stylish now. Breakfast was excellent with some of the best kippers I have ever eaten!

We had booked a twin room,. because at the last minute that was all that was available. I phoned the day before we arrived to ask if we could possibly have the twin beds pushed together to make a 6 foot wide bed. No chance, I was told on the phone. The reaosn- the furniture is far too heavy to move in this room and the lay out does not allow for a single large bed. Ok, no probs, I said and accepted that this was the case. I assumed that the beds were in different parts of the room and that there was a wardrobe or chest of drawers in the way meaning that rearrangement would be very difficult.

When we arrived, we found that the room was in the annex at the back of the hotel, there was some view and the river sounds were nice. It was pleasantly decorated and the bathroom was very modern and stylish with a clawfoot bath. There was a drinks tray with plenty of supplies and more teabags were readily provided when we asked for them.

So to the bedroom itself - it was apparent that there was a very large headboard, the two beds were adjacent and there was a bedside table at one side, and a bedside table between the two beds. All it would take was moving the middle table to one side, pushing the beds together and some superking bedding to turn this very easily into a superking bedroom. I tried moving the bedside table - it was easy.

I was really disappointed that we appeared to have been told an un-truth on the phone.

I picked this up with the manager on the desk and he said that it was 'company policy' not to push 2 single beds together unless they had zip and link mattresses as people had complained... Well I suppose this is perhaps more truthful than the first excuse, but surely when someone phones and asks (in good time) for the 2 single beds to be pushed together, then (unless it was just too much trouble) then you might say - 'yes of course, but sorry they are not ziplink so there might be a slight gap between the mattresses?'

Management comment?

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoungerLizard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosthwaite
Lodore Falls Hotel
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to Scafell Hotel? Share your experiences!