“Pleasant Surprise!”

Edward Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel blind on Hotwire for a weekend in Detroit to visit family. When the name came through, my wife and I were a little concerned until looking at the pictures and realizing this was the old Dearborn Hyatt (Phew!). How bad could it be?

We arrived and were greeted promptly. Not much had changed in the lobby except there were not many people around for a Friday night. The reception staff was very good. Appreciated the welcome beverage tickets for each night we stayed.

Up to the room and found the typical Hyatt style beds and accommodations. TVs have been upgraded to LED which is nice and expected for a green, 4 star hotel. Rooms still need some updates, but ours was clean and well prepared. Bathroom was clean. No evidence of mold or mildew. Room was not dusty like some places and noticed an air filter covering the intake air return (not visible unless you are really looking). Did not wake up with the usual stuffiness when staying in Hotels lately.

Pool area was warm. Water temperature comfortable. Towels were promptly replaced and filled when calling the front desk. TVs in the workout area did not work. Sauna did not appear to warm up so used the hot tub.

Did not eat on site. Plenty of options in the area.

Overall, a good stay. 4 stars only because there is still work to do in the rooms and amenities.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Phatpkts
VicePresidentSales1, Owner at Edward Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hi Phatpkts

Thank you for choosing us via your Hotwire search! Your review is very much appreciated and offers many great suggestions and positive feedback to share with our team. I look forward to sharing your review with our team, I think they will find it very beneficial and uplifting.
Important to note, we have planned non-intrusive sustainable upgrades and enhancements for 2014. We hope you will come back and see our great eco-friendly changes and try our restaurant. Our new chef is fantastic and offers several great organic selections, steaks and pastas.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had a wonderful weekend away at the Adoba Hotel. The staff was very helpful and made our stay a great one. The restaurant staff were very friendly and made sure that we were satisfied. We found that the hotel and our room was very clean. It is located in a great area for shopping. We will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Our room was clean and nicely decorated. The large picture window offered a great view of the city a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sonya B

Hello Sonya B –
I wanted to send you a genuine thank you note for your wonderful review of the adoba hotel Dearborn. I have previously shared your positive feedback with the team in a recent staff meeting and they asked I send you a huge “Thank You”!

Have a wonderful new year! And we agree on your opinion of our scenic city views – they offer spectacular views of downtown Detroit and across to Canada. Great for taking photos!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

If you fancy a beer in the hotel bar after a hard day at work, do not come here. They do not have a licence to sell alcohol. Their website advertises a bar with nice pictures of cocktails but don't be fooled.
Some nights they have someone come in with a makeshift bar where you can get a token behind the front desk to get a free drink, but it's not ideal.
The hotel itself is very nice. Lovely reception area. But it's like being in the Shinning. The hotel is huge and you don't see anyone. They have a Starbucks in the lobby, I was there for a week, I saw it open once?
The restaurant must hold 500 people yet only 3 people were in there. This is a lonely hotel.
Rooms were fine for me and made up well every day.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Upon arrival the valet person was also the bellman. He had no help. He was the only one present to do both jobs. Upon requesting a menu from the front desk (later that day), and waiting for awhile; there was a knock at the door. Guess who it was... the same valet/bellman. They seriously need more staff.

The luxury and elegance of the lobby gave false pretense to what the actual room would look like. The room was very out dated...It was a shame really because the lobby is gorgeous. Also, several items in the room were broken. Although the front desk was quick to replace them, it was still not something one expects in a hotel of this caliber.

In terms of front desk staff, I can say they were fairly lackluster. Their pretentious air was very off putting. As someone who came to this hotel during a time of grief, I would have liked to be welcomed more warmly. Instead I was asked twice if I was there for a special occasion. The first when I checked-in and again by the valet/bellman/doorman/delivery man. I am not sure why they insisted on asking me that. When I replied to the desk staff member, "No, I'm here for a funeral." He didn't even know how to reply. He seemed so taken aback that he hurriedly gave me my room information and key. Not a whisper of empathy, sympathy, or condolences. There was absolutely nothing hospitable about it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel looks very nice from the outside as well as the inside. Very nice structure and design. The room were large with a nice view. The problems began when one is inside the room.

The coffee mugs provided inside the rooms were unclean. Still traces of coffee around them.
The actual coffee machine had a used filter and stains around it.
The bathtub was not clean and the actual shower curtain had fungi growing on it.
The towels were clean but old and had permanent stains on them, they still had the Hyatt tags on them.
The bathrooms were very small.
The wifi was not working in my room but was in the lobby and conference area.
While walking back to my room at night a saw a wine glass and some chicken bones in the hall way and when I woke up in the morning to go out for breakfast they were still there.

I was looking forward to my stay at this hotel from reading all the reviews but I was extremely disappointed. I attended a conference at the hotel and stayed for two nights.

I would not stay at this hotel again nor recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank NYCDr
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I apologize for being so late with my review of this fine hotel. From the Doorman to the Front Desk, to the waiters, we enjoyed exemplary service from the fine folks at the Adoba.

While making a trek from Chicago with my wife and son to Work for me and Henry Ford for them, we decided to try the "Green" Adoba Hotel. The rate I received was quite reasonable.

I am so sorry that I forgot the names of the staff, but let me tell you that Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott can take a queue from these folks. Being from Chicago I, was made to feel at home right away, My wife and son, felt secure going to and from our car and walking around the property and inside this amazing property.

The Adoba is nestled in a business park, very near the Fairlane Shopping Mall A gorgeous, glass encased hotel, it seemed surreal like an Oasis. Inside richly appointed space with a open atrium (Hyatt Like) style with rooms on the edges and wide open space in the middle.

The lobby has a convenient coffee (Starbucks) and bakery shop. great for a quick snack or that cup of Joe.

Our room was comfortable, well appointed, and enjoyable. The pool was very enjoyable, and clean, SPOTLESS. The attention to detail by the staff was greatly appreciated. We did dine twice in the on site restaurant, such delicious food, varied and fresh. My mouth is watering thinking of the desert bar. Complimentary garlic bread, warm and toasty, great tasting water, and service comparable to the Ritz!

We had a very enjoyable stay, and I will be returning in Mid December 2013. I can stay anywhere while in Detroit, I choose to stay at Adoba!

Overall a very classy hotel, with Professional staff, Amazing restaurant with Ritz level service.

Please keep the bar high Adoba, Keep up the great job!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
VicePresidentSales1, Owner at Edward Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest,

With a review as wonderful as yours, you can be late. Your compliments on the staff and our hotel service compared to many recognized name brands is warming to our "green" hearts!

Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your great experience and try the "Green" hotel experience.

We hope you will choose again and you tell the staff you have been given a free pass on as many of the homemade garlic bread baskets you wish. Thanks again, it was very nice.

Have a great New Year!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Took my 3 year old granddaughter to Detroit for the Thanksgiving Parade. We stayed 2 nights at the Adoba Hotel. The hotel was beautiful, very clean and the staff could not have been more helpful. We had breakfast in the Giulio & Sons Restaurant, the wait staff, especially Renee, were exceptional and catered to our every needs. It was a most enjoyable experience and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Greetings Joanne –
This is such an amazing review! The entire staff wanted me to thank you for taking the time to share your great experience, especially our food and beverage team. Ms. Renee has been with the hotel for a number of years and for sure is a favorite of many guests due to her outstanding customer service skills. I'm glad you had an opportunity to enjoy her service.

Thank you – Thank you we are all thrilled to receive such a great testimony of the hotel and the staff. Sticking with our green motto – “Travel with a Purpose and Change the World Today”