“Nice in Appearance but had it's down points.”

The Henry, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Dearborn
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Husband and I booked the the Henry hotel for a special romantic getaway. We decided on this hotel because it was close to our "special" restaurant and near Greenfield Village where we also planned on visiting as part of our day. There was good and bad with this hotel.

First impression of the hotel was very nice. Very upscale looking...however the location is really kind of weird and a little hard to find. Check in was a breeze, the room was clean and nice.....but that is where the good stops.

After spending the entire day at Greenfield Village, we came back to the hotel to shower and change for dinner. Went to a late dinner, and came back to go to sleep. Climbed into bed.....and it started. Something in our room was vibrating/shaking every 20 minutes or so (somewhere by the foot of our bed), and was bothersome enough that it kept waking us up. After dealing with this for a couple hours we finally decided we'd rather drive the 30 minutes back home and at least get some decent sleep, so at about 2:00am in the morning we checked out. When I went to check out they inquired regarding our stay and I explained why we were leaving....which was simply meant with a blank stare and an Oh, I see....OK then. Very little regard for the fact that a guest was leaving at 2:00am very unhappy!

Then when we arrived home, a week or so later, I get my credit card statment and see a $40 charge from the hotel. I called to find out what that was for, and they advised me it was for our drinks in the bar....I said what drinks? We weren't awake long enough in your hotel to drink anything!

At this point I figured management need to know we had a problem. I contacted the manager and explained that we paid for a lovely evening out and had it ruined by the noise in our room....which was meet with little concern when we were checking out at 2:00am in the morning....and then I get a fradulant charge to my credit card on top of it. NOT impressive for an upscale hotel at all.

While they were accomidating at this point, because I had gone to the top and was mad, it still didn't help resolve the overall bad experience we had had. They fixed the charge to my credit card, and offered us dinner on the house at a later time, but still.....I know I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wemjam

Reviewed 30 November 2010

This is one of the finer Marriott properties I've stay at. The furnishings in the room (bed, chair, carpet) are slightly more worn than a typical Marriott. But the service is great, the hotel was not very crowded, and the concierge lounge was phenomenal with free drinks in the evening and a decent breakfast selection in the morning. The restaurant had a very limited menu and was pricey, but the food was good. The fitness center and pool were nice, and overall the hotel was clean. It is about a 15-20 minute commute to downtown Detroit. The hotel also has access to free wireless. I would recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris072
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This hotel has lst nothing during the transition..... it may actually be better than the Ritz
the staff is really doing a great job to make you feel welcome and well served..

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This former Ritz property has moved down a notch to a presumably upscale Marriott property. It doesn't really fit the mould for a Ritz given its location, decor and other factors.

We stayed for a long weekend and felt that the decor and interior appointments were a bit dated and showed the wear and tear of use over the years. The lower quality, well-worn room furniture in particular fell well below what we would expect from an upscale property, especially a Marriott, in our opinion. Balancing that to some degree was an excellent bed and bedding -- one of the most comfortable we've experienced. I should note that it did NOT appear to be the new Marriott bedding you find in most of their upscale hotels.

While the hotel is showing its age, the service from every member of the staff we encountered was superb. They truly made our stay a pleasure -- from helping us find great places to visit in town to room, bar and food service.

If you visit, I highly recommend visiting the Henry Ford Museum -- it's not just about cars -- it's almost a miniature Smithsonian (if you can call 12 acres under one roof miniature).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2010

The Henry is tucked away in Dearborn, Michigan, the home of the Ford legacy. Everything about The Henry is top notch, including the concierge, the valet and the maid service. The Executive floor(s) offer business people an opportunity to relax outside of ones room with 24-hour a day snacks, beverages, well-appointed seating with a pleasant view and a breakfast selection that is beyond "continental". Shopping and dining are within walking distance and The Henry is located near to the expressway for easy on and off traveling. I've never had a better hotel experience anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We absolutely loved this hotel! It is beautiful!! We had a very large room with a king bed. It was very clean and the bed was so comfy, I couldn't wait to get in the bed every night! The hotel is very close to shopping, dining, and sightseeing...I only have one small complaint: we were travelling with our 14 month old son and thought we would just order room service for breakfast--well not unless you want to pay $14 for a waffle! We have used room service in other hotels and it has never been that expensive. I just couldn't justify a $14 waffle, so my husband would go out every morning and grab breakfast for our son. Not that big of a deal!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2010

The value is incredible. Staying at this hotel with the Ritz decor was a steal. The staff was very good and they went out of their way to make you feel taken care of. I would definitely stay here again.
Downside- for this price, i hate to mention any negatives but their are two:
1. The hotel is showing signs of wear; frayed carpet, a little mold in bathroom ..etc. I heard that they were in the process of doing renovations........this will keep this a 5 star property, don't let it slip into oblivion.
2. The restaurant.- The food is good not great. But the prices, WOW!! We have stayed at other Ritz/ Marriott/ Comparable Hotel that were much better value in the restaurant. You should not have to pay 25-30 for an adequate burger and wine, the same with breakfast. Most of the people we talked to ate at the many restaurants a short distance from the hotel. ( To the hotel, would you rather have 3 people drinking a $6 glass of wine or one drinking a $9-12 glass of wine ) Do what other upscale restaurants are doing...happy hour/ small plates..etc. Don't make yourselves a hotel prison ( you are stuck here, eat our food at our price ). Be innovative, offer reasonable prices and attract the people who stay at the hotel and the general public.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dearborn
The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel
Hampton Inn by Hilton Detroit Dearborn
Edward Hotel & Conference Center
Courtyard Detroit Dearborn
Comfort Inn Near Greenfield Village
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Detroit-Dearborn

Been to The Henry, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!