“Worth the money..clean..friendly”

Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Canton, Michigan, United States
“Worth the money..clean..friendly”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The Shore rest is a nice little motor inn, worth the price, clean, friendly and more than willing to go the extra mile for its regulars. If you need a room for a night or an inexpensive weekend, after a game or a bar night, I would definitely recommend this little family owned establishment.
Laura Daley

Room Tip: West side, is better wifi
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Topeka
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Ok, we got here and there is no microwave in the room, you have to share a community microwave in the lobby. THEN, the bed is extra hard and hurts your hips while you sleep, the walls are SO think we both got woken up at 5:18am by the room next door's loud radio which they left on ALL day until night. The TV is an old 1990's tv that hardly has a picture and it keeps changing colors, the vending soda machine just says 1.25 for a soda and so I bought one and it was a CAN and no where did it say that or else I would NOT have wasted my money. The sheets have PATCHES on them too. The room is so hot and I called to check where the air was and was told that this side of the motel did not even HAVE air, to OPEN my DOOR to let some cold air in. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank crystaldtadlock

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I payed 78.00 for my room and it was considered a upgrade since when I checked in they had no "regular rooms" available. I was not impressed. The lady at the front desk stated that there was a flat screen tv in the room and she made the room sound way better than it was. The decor is old, The tv was small and cheap, everything needs to be updated badly. The windows would not open and this was irritating as I would of loved to air out the room of the "smell" it had. The restaurant at the hotel was good, and the breakfast they had in the lobby was not anything special.I have had better rooms for $78.00 a night. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room right above the office. I was told it was one of their more expensive rooms. No...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 585HeatherM585
Reviewed 2 November 2012

My friends and I drove from Wichita, Kansas & Kansas City, MO to Detroit for the Insane Clown Posse Hallowicked concert 10-31-12. We arrived in The Motor City at approximately 4:30 a.m. We stopped at McDonald's off of Woodward Avenue by The Majestic. We then called several hotels & motels. We went by one hotel & just pulling into the parking lot made us feel like we were about to be robbed. Then, they didn't have any hot water or television other than basic local channels. Needless to say, we got back into the car & left with a quickness. We asked a local convenient store about where to stay, he mentioned the Holiday Inn for around $90+ a night, or go to Jefferson & there's a string of hotels & motels more modestly set price wise. We then went to The Shorecrest Motor Inn. We got a very reasonable room rate, they let us check in at 6 a.m. & stay until 10 a.m. the next day, giving us a total of 28 hours, even though that isn't their normal policy, & they allowed 3 of us to stay in one room for the low 2 person rate at a single night, not 2 nights! We had the continental breakfast, which was pretty good. Bagels, muffins, danish donuts, bread, orange juice, & coffee. We left for about 4 hours & upon returning, nothing in our room was touched. We felt safe & secure there. The neighborhood isn't bad & you're close to downtown Detroit, Canada, & highways to get to out skirt cities quickly. I loved the hotel Staff from check-in to check-out. Not a single complaint. In fact, I can't brag enough abpout my stay! I hope to return to Detroit again before long, not like the 11 years it took me to get back there this time. Every trip I make to Detroit in the future, no matter how long the stay, 30 hours like this trip or 7 days like my last one, I believe I have found my home away from home! If you enjoy several amenities, including free wifi, decent selection of television channels, great continental breakfasts, genuinely nice staff from check-in to check-out, including housekeeping & 3rd shift check-in associates, and an overall satisfied experience for a decent price that won't kill your trip budget & keep you in Downtown Detroit near everything great about the city, I suggest you try The Shorecrest Motor Inn! It was a wonderful experience for me & it was the seam that kept this trip, though very short, very joyful & comfortably fit. I still wish I was there! I hope this has helped you in your decision making! Sincerely ~ Jonathan Clark, Kansas City 11-2-12 @ 1:05 a.m. CST

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank skeletortheclown
michigan
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This is a true 2 star motel. It is perfect for what we needed. A place to sleep so we did not have to drive home. Easy to walk to everything. The rooms are clean but the furnishings are old, who cares. The TV worked fine but again it is old. Do not expect more than what you are paying for. It is totally worth 55.00 dollors a night.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cnews
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My husband I stayed at the Shorecrest Inn due to cheap price and close location to downtown events. The following day we had tickets to the Lion's game so we asked the hotel clerk if it was ok to leave our car in the lt. The attendant said it was fine. We did this before there and since it was 10:30 am we figured everything would be ok. To our surprise when we got back at 4:45 pm our car was broken into and our belongings were stolen from the trunk. The staff didn't seem to care or seem surprised. The Detroit police didn't come to take a p report. They did everything over the phone. I even told them the evidence, a screwdriver, was left in my car. Still didn't care. The hotel is very old and nasty. Everything is outdated. The televisions are from the 90's with horrible picture quality and the rooms smell like a mix of cigarettes and marijuana! The "continental breakfast" is a joke. You might as well starve or go somewhere for a real breakfast. I wouldn't suggest anyone to stay here unless you have very little money and don' t care if your car is broken into. We will NEVER stay at this rat hole again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mia S
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I just spent 5 days at the Shorecrest. I'd stayed there a few years ago and remember it being affordable and clean, so when I accepted a job in Detroit and needed a place to stay, this was my first choice. Even though I discussed the condition of the hotel with one of the owners, he gave me attitude and explained that other rooms in the hotel were in much better condition than my room... was that suppose to make me feel better? Anyway, the floors were filthy! So bad I wouldn't touch them with my bare feet. Actually everything was filthy and what wasn't filthy didn't work -- including a very bad electric plug. Although I had maid service, they actually didn't leave me toilet paper, took the small soap I had by the sink and left me with a tiny sliver of soap that was in the shower. Wait that's one good thing, the shower had good hot water and good pressure. I'm baffled by the way I was treated when I could have been a long term resident, but after paying for one week, I was thrilled to get out. The owner kept telling me "you have to understand...." Well he needs to understand, people read these reviews and he's going to end up as an hourly pro-station if he doesn't get this place cleaned up. TOTAL RIP-OFF. Use Priceline and stay somewhere decent. Trust me, you'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business