“Shorecrest Motor Inn Unbeatable” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rivertown Inn & Suites Downtown Detroit

Rivertown Inn & Suites Downtown Detroit
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
melbourne australia
“Shorecrest Motor Inn Unbeatable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have heard adverse stories regarding how bad, unsafe and, dirty Detroit has become and it is a Ghost Town, this is so untrue, we found the City and it’s people beautiful with plenty to do and see. The river walk was just beautiful admiring Windsor Ontario Canada across the Canadian River, it was just breathtaking.
We decided to stop in Detroit Mi for a 2 Day stay over. We travel frequently with an eye for Budget Hotels.
We arrived at 8.00am to be told by their friendly staff a room was ready and we can check in as soon as we register.
Shorecrest Motor Inn is located Downtown. On an average you get what you pay for, not so with Shorecrest Motor Inn, for a budget Hotel one certainly gets his money’s worth, nothing fancy but, it sure is safe, clean and comfortable. The Hotel is spotless clean, rooms are big enough for a couple, the continental breakfast is plentiful and, here is a first for us, a notice on the wall encourages guests to take some of the breakfast food with them for the day, how is that for hospitality. The staff went out of their way to help when asked for assistance. I would recommend this Hotel to anybody looking for a Hotel that is easy on the wallet. I will certainly stay at the Shorecrest Motor Inn again, next time I’m in Detroit Mi.
Vincent Spiteri
Melbourne Australia

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank vincespit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I think I once reviewed this place here or at a similar place. Its been years since I stayed here but I had a lasting impression of this place, and see its under the same ownership, so I just want to warn people away, especially families!

First, in fairness, I think its decent in some terms. Big problem is that street characters from various colorful 'specialty' orientations use the rooms for parties, drug sales/use, and prostitution. Wild, noisy, hilarious, disturbing. Scant sympathy from management, because these characters are apparently their bread and butter.

Lest anyone think I am a spoiled suburbanite, unused to city downtowns.....not so...I'm a native Detroiter, and lived my last ten years their on 1160 Seward, so I know crime is not avoidable....but at Shorecrest its invited.

If you are a very sound sleeper, not disturbed by gunshots, screams, hysterical laughter, and incessant shouting and loud music, this place may be for you. Its quiet during the day, waking up about 3 in the morning. The restaurant is great if bullet holes in the windows don't bother you, and I found it clean and trying hard to be a decent place.

By the way, I bailed, could no longer stand it.

Room Tip: Choose a room far from this hotel. Disclaimer....my stay and former review appear to have timed out...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank chamerstein

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Maple Park, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This place was a total dump and I wouldn't recommend it. If you're just looking for a cheap place to stay and don't care about cleanliness then maybe this is for you. The room smelled badly. I took off my shoes and walked on the carpet and my white socks were black because the carpet was so filthy. I see other reviews of this Inn and they said it was clean so maybe they cleaned up the rooms since I was there in June 2013. The only thing good about it was the price and the restaurant in the front of it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hiperf67
Springfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I was going to give only two stars, but considering this place appears to be a dorm room for random poor people, it's not too bad. The staff was very nice. There was a free continental breakfast (which we all know means OJ and a roll, but still). The room didn't seem horribly dirty, and came with wifi and HBO. However, there is NO air circulation! It's summer and I at least need a fan. There's no AC, no fan, no nothing. For this reason alone, I'd never stay here again.

Also, I know housekeeping has to do their job, but I hate being woken up 2 hours before checkout by someone vacuuming the room next to me.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Neil1024
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

A decent deal for the price, especially if you are looking for a place to stay during a convention.
During Youmacon 2011 the staff appeared extremely unprepared for the high volume of customers but were polite during the entire ordeal. I could hear the women at the desk's radio constantly blaring reports from the cleaning staff, so the communication between staff members was really reassuring!
I wasn't expecting much for the price, and I sure wasn't disappointed. There was a roof over our head, a bathroom with shower (very small and dark, but not dirty), a small coat rack with a shelf above it, and plenty of space for con-goers to crash. The tv was out-dated but honestly I never used it. There was a mini-fridge that was not plugged in or it didn't work but we never used that either. Also the reclining chair was broken.
There was a slight smell, of cigarette smoke, but I've smelt much worse in more expensive of places.
There were no problems or issues and the stay was pleasent.
For youmacon 2012 the staff seemed more prepared for the event. They were kind to me and my fellow oddly-dressed con-goers and even allowed early check-in!
The room was in somewhat better shape than the year previous. It didn't smell at all and wasn't dirty. The mini fridge worked this time and the tv was still outdated, but once again we didn't really use the tv so that wasn't a huge deal.
Both years there was free parking at the hotel and because of the large amount of guests and local activity (in the city) we had no problems walking to and from the con location (it's not a terrible walk in the least, don't waste your money parking your car in a lot closer to the Ren-Cen).
If you are looking for a place to stay for Youmacon and can't stay on con location I would totally recommend this motel! It's a great price, the staff is nice, and it's within walking distance from the con.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma K
Canton, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

The Shore rest is a nice little motor inn, worth the price, clean, friendly and more than willing to go the extra mile for its regulars. If you need a room for a night or an inexpensive weekend, after a game or a bar night, I would definitely recommend this little family owned establishment.
Laura Daley

Room Tip: West side, is better wifi
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura D
Topeka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

Ok, we got here and there is no microwave in the room, you have to share a community microwave in the lobby. THEN, the bed is extra hard and hurts your hips while you sleep, the walls are SO think we both got woken up at 5:18am by the room next door's loud radio which they left on ALL day until night. The TV is an old 1990's tv that hardly has a picture and it keeps changing colors, the vending soda machine just says 1.25 for a soda and so I bought one and it was a CAN and no where did it say that or else I would NOT have wasted my money. The sheets have PATCHES on them too. The room is so hot and I called to check where the air was and was told that this side of the motel did not even HAVE air, to OPEN my DOOR to let some cold air in. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family