“Great location and comfortable stay”

Courtyard Detroit Downtown
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night for business. Impressive and comfy stay. Room was huge with microwave and bed was very comfortable. Also was nice to have a seating area. Did not use gym but a colleague said it was great. Breakfast was a good choice of food and price options. Location is excellent and staff were friendly. Would stay again when I'm back in town.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nites in Sept. 2013 on business travel. I have never had such a bad experience at a Marriott property. Mold in the shower, sheets you could literally see through to the mattress. When I pulled the sheets back, there was no full mattress pad on it - just a flat, thin pad laid on the mattress, not nearly covering the entire thing. But none of this is the worst. I got ice the first nite I was there, put it in a glass, and filled the glass with water. I could immediately see something in the ice. When I dumped the water and ice in the sink, I could see what was in the ice were small dead BUGS. As the ice melted, the clung to the side of sink. The next night I went to another floor to get ice and again filled my glass with water, but this time, I looked carefully right away. Sure enough, more bugs in the ice from another floor. When I told the front desk about the bugs, neither of the 2 people there looked surprised, and then I received a call to say one night of parking was "comped" for my "trouble." And the TV was a piece of crap. This hotel is a DUMP.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MichFoodLover
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

I’m sorry we didn’t meet your Marriott expectations. I appreciate your feedback and invite you to contact me personally to discuss your concerns in more detail.

Immediately following your conversation with our front desk we unloaded the ice and inspected the machines on your floor as well as the floor above and below. Although we did not find any evidence bugs, the machines were sanitized.

Our mattress pads are made of a felt fabric and are thin as to not interfere with the pillow top mattress comfort. Any additional insight on the television would be appreciated as we only have 37 inch flat screens.

I hope to have an opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail.

Jon Coutts, General Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed at the Downtown Detroit Courtyard by Marriott during the 2013 Detroit Jazz Festival. I actually moved to this hotel after staying at a nearby hotel the previous night from the same brand family.
The prices were fair, the included amenities were abundant, and the service was second to none.
The only down side and it wasn't much of one is the breakfast buffet which was included in my package was just better than mediocre. The servers and chef were very pleasant and attentive, though.
I will most certainly stay at this property again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We came at a busy time, during the jazz festival. The staff were helpful and friendly, but there wasn't much service or information offered - you had to ask for it. No booklet in the room about the facilities except a menu for room service. The room was large and comfortable and we had all we needed. The furnishing were a bit "tired" - perhaps it's time for a renovation.
Breakfast was not included and the coffee we had at the hotel cafe upon arrival convinced us to go elsewhere. The Hudson Cafe a short walk away was a good solution.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel was absolutely great on a very busy weekend. The price could not be beat and it was walking distance to many bars and restaurants and a People Mover station was in the same building. On top I that, the convenience store inside had homemade baklava! No reason to ever look anywhere else when staying in Detroit!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Though it isn't the "official" jazz festival hotel it is about a 10 minute walk from the site. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The room (1 king and a sofabed) was spacious and we had a view of the river from the 12th floor. We appreciated the free internet. Our only complaint is that there were no restaurants open on Sunday evening past 11 p.m. including room service so when we got home from the jazz site tired and hungry we had to resort to the ``Market`located in the lobby of the hotel for a sandwich and a salad. The lettuce and the beets in the salad were frozen. When we complained the next morning we were told to go to the Market and help ourselves which I appreciated. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it especially for the proximity to the jazz site. I think we got our money`s worth.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a river view.