“Great Stay!”

Courtyard Detroit Downtown
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. Upon checking in we were notified that we had been upgraded to a suite because of our status as a Marriott Rewards member - Sweet! Our room was very clean. The carpet in our room and hallway looked brand new. We spent a good deal of time at the hotel bar prior to attending a concert and after. Michael, the bartender, was AWESOME! So glad our weekend without the kiddos turned out awesome. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on one of the upper floors...nice because there was a hockey tournament in town with lots...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

A weekend without the kids and an upgrade to one of our suites is a great start. We enjoy acknowledging our loyal Marriott guests with upgrades when we have the availability.

If your kids are joining you next time, there are many museums and activities for children in the downtown area. A ride on the PeopleMover is always a huge hit as well!

Thank you for the great TripAdvisor review Carrie. We’ll look for your return, with or without the
kids!

Jon Coutts - General Manager

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

The front desk and customer service has been great. The cleaning on the other hand is terrible.

The bath is a bit dingy due to age so doesn't help to have hair in the tub and some kind of stains on the tv stand present upon check in. When I wiped the stains, they cleaned right up. Additionally one would think the dark blue carpet would conceal dirt...not so much. It needs a good vacuum. Oh and the microwave has all kind of smudges and ick.

Cleanliness, or lack thereof, trumps customer service so I can't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Travelgal,

I’m sorry to hear we made a poor impression with our housekeeping. I agree that is essential and will look in to the circumstances.

We will address your feedback with the housekeeping team, and provide additional training to the individual if we can identify your room. If you have an opportunity, a reply e-mail with your room number or name to jon.coutts@marriott.com would be appreciated.

Thank you for the front desk and customer service compliments. I hope we have another opportunity to accommodate you when visiting Detroit.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Have to say, I love the Marriott Rewards Program! This particular hotel in Detroit was okay. I mean it did its purpose. Sometimes I look for customer services to be over the top or just more pleasant smiles. I know it was freezing during the time I was there, so I guess I get it. I was at this hotel for over 15 days, and like I said the experience wasn't something to really talk about. But would I stay here again, probably. Its affordable, clean and theres a few little spots near by to eat that you can just walk too. (when its not in the negatives outside)

eeeeeh!

Bartender Lady, was very pleasing and patient. Thanks J!

Room Tip: the top floors have the best views. 21st Floor

Dear Ms. Morales,

We appreciate your fifteen day stay with us during the North American International Auto Show. It’s been an interesting month with weather in Detroit, breaking records for temperature and snowfall.

I will share you feedback with our staff as we pride ourselves on over the top guest service. It’s a great reminder, especially with our long-term guests that every encounter deserves the same attention as the first. I will also make pass along your compliments to Marianna in the bar and the housekeeping team.

We look forward to your return, and better weather!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed with them for 2 weeks during the auto show and they have got very friendly and helpful staff. It near to everything considering its in downtown and opposite the Ren-GM center. The convenience store attached has most of the things you would need. It's pretty safe to go out at night as well and you would notice lot of police presence around.

Only problem I had during the stay was the sound the heater motor made while starting at night. When it got quiet at night, the sound was loud enough to wake me up several time.

Dear Imamitkhan,

Thank you for the review acknowledging our helpful staff and location. You may have noticed we are also fortunate to be connected to the Renaissance Center and located on the campus of General Motors World Headquarters with their own security force.

We just completed an extensive guest room heating and cooling rejuvenation project with upgraded thermostats and fan motors. If you have an opportunity to e-mail me with your room number, our chief engineer will address the fan motor noise immediately.

We look forward to seeing you again next year for the auto show. I understand this year’s show attendance was the best it’s been in ten years.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We decided to go to the auto show this year. Drove up from Indy and chose to stay at this hotel because I actually had enough points for a free night. Easy to find, perfect location. They have a people mover stop that took us right to the Cobo center for the show (only .75 each way) and you can buy tokens right in the liquor store on your way to the stop (which is attached to the hotel) And the liquor store sold coke products -since the hotel only had Pepsi products. Rooms are huge . Easy walk to Greek town for excellent food choices. We walked to the ice skating rink and other locations downtown. Staff is helpful, tons of work out equipment if you are inclined for such. Excellent choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Agioe,

Thank you for the glowing review and selecting our hotel to redeem your Marriott Reward points. It sounds like you had a great downtown Detroit adventure during your stay.

As you noted, there are many directions to walk from our hotel where you will find activity. The ice rink at Campus Martius is a winter treasure only two blocks from the Courtyard, and Greektown four blocks.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed a night for the wings game and auto show which was very convenient for this hotel. The staff was quite nice but I think the place was full and you could feel that they were stretched. The room was mostly clean but not quite out to marriott standards and the breakfast was not so appealing .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tally,

I’m sorry to hear we didn’t meet your Marriott expectations. While we are enjoying a record pace in attendance at this year’s North American International Auto Show, we also plan for the increase in business demand.

If you could provide any additional detail concerning our housekeeping and breakfast quality, I would be happy to investigate and respond to you personally. We appreciate the opportunity to accommodate Red Wings fans and thank you for your Marriott loyalty.

Jon Coutts, General Manager

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Housekeeping is terrible, the rooms are not clean, and they haven't done anything to improve my room in the 5 days I've been here. The same dirty glasses have been sitting on my desk since the first night, the towel and washcloth I used twice and then threw on the floor were put back on the shelf, and I had to force them to give me more shampoo and conditioner. The first night of my stay I ate in the hotel bar/restaurant and had 2 drinks and was given top shelf at $10 each which I didn't ask for. Unfortunately this is the hotel the company I work for uses and I have to stay here for 2 more weeks! SAVE ME! I will definitely be in contact with the people who decide to use this hotel and recommend they find someplace else.

Dear Chris,

Please accept my apology for your disappointment. I was aware of your concerns prior to you posting this review, and had the understanding there was resolution.

We did unfortunately error on the whisky used for your Whisky Sour, and hope our resolution was acceptable. We have also communicated your experience with the attending housekeeper this week, and would be interested in any current feedback.

I am confident your experience will not be repeated, and appreciate the relationship we have with your company. I would be happy to meet with you personally this week or next at your convenience should you like to discuss further.