“Great place to stay downtown Detroit”

Courtyard Detroit Downtown
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I hadn't been to Detroit for many years and had heard bad stories, even read bad reviews of hotels, so i selected the one with the best reviews I could find (in my price range).

I was pleasantly surprised, even kind of amazed at what a great experience it was. My husband was playing at the Jazz Festival and the location couldn't have been better. We walked to all the places we needed to go.

The room was nicely decorated, very clean and new. It was the quietest hotel I've been in except for some very exclusive Ritz-Carlton types. The desk help was friendly, respectful and helpful. We got a late check out upon request. Our reservations were handled quickly and expertly with no delays.

There is a fee of $20 to get the car valet parked but were told we could park it ourselves for $10 in the adjacent structure. We opted for the valet and were not charged extra for a full day when we were not in the hotel. During the entire visit, we had access to the car keys whenever we wanted with safe, convenient parking.

I don't know what it's like there at night when there is no jazz festival going on but after a certain time in the evening, they made it necessary to show your key before going up on to your room. I found this rather comforting.

It was a great stay and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 June 2008

I brought down a group of about 15 people who booked more than 10 rooms so they gave me a corporate rate. So far so good. At 1AM in the morning, one guy from my group walked into my room USING HIS OWN CARD KEY. The configuration had been the same, same room number, different floor. I feel that this experience, although nothing came out of it because we knew each other, could have been a DISASTER in another situation. I as group leader look bad, the HOTEL LOOKS AWFUL. I complained to the hotel several times including a written feedback letter form personally handed in to a manager and was totally blown off. THIS HOTEL HAS SERIOUS SECURITY ISSUES. If you get raped at a Marriott, they'll probably say, "oh, so sorry."

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mich_maripoza
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We stayed at the Courtyard for the Red Bull Air Race. The location was great - close to the tunnel to Windsor and right on the People Mover circuit. We were able to check in early (12 noon) - the staff at the front desk were efficient and pleasant. Our rooms were very nice - we really appreciate having a comfortable chair and couch in our room for sitting and reading. The bathroom was clean and tastefully decorated, and the showerhead was wonderful! We used the valet parking service, and waited only about 10 minutes, even during the busy check-out time. The breakfast buffet (included with our room package) was great - hot food, great selection, good fresh fruit.
I would highly recommend the Courtyard for anyone staying in downtown Detroit.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurie56
Reviewed 19 May 2008

We were skeptical of having a weekend getaway in Detroit. All of our worries were put to rest when we walked into our room.
The beds were very soft and comfortable. Each full size bed had 6 pillows....nice touch.
The bathroom was spotless.....only drawback was a small stain on the ceiling, but that didn't take away from the overall condition of the room.
The staff was so friendly and accomodating. They upgraded our room and gave us more of a discount than the AAA that we were going to use.
Location is great with a People Mover station and the Ren Cen so close. You don't even have to go outside....use the skywalk!
The view of the river and the bridge to Canada made the room even better.
Overall, it was clean and comfortable and I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank bstar54
Reviewed 8 May 2008

I just returned from a two night stay at the Courtyard Detroit. The hotel is well-situated; a short walk to the Cobo convention center, the ballpark, the Greektown Casino and across the street from decent shopping and movies at the RenCen. The room far exceeded my expectations: large suite-size room, brand new LG flat screen, brand new carpeting, marble bath very comfortable bed and good bedding. My only complaint about the room was some black mold on the caulking in the shower. Hotel staff was generally helpful and pleasant. Safety at the hotel was a non-issue. My only poor experience was with the hotel restaurant (Sweet Lorraine). When I asked for a glass of ice water to take a pill, the bartender told me "it's a restaurant policy not to provide ice water." I told the bartender I was a guest at the hotel and $229 per night probably earned my right to a glass of water. He grumpily complied. My room service breakfast from the restaurant was also less than remarkable. After those experiences, I stuck to walking across the street to Starbucks and the other plethora of dining options in the Recent. But overall, the hotel is a good choice in a locale that did not appear to have many.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I stayed at this property and the Marriott Renaissance Center, across the street from the Courtyard, every two to four weeks between June and January 2008 for business. The rooms at this property are much bigger and comfortably furnished than the Marriott Renaissance property. They also have a nice pool and fitness center. However, one of my colleagues had all of his belongings stolen on one of our stays at the Courtyard. The room doors do not close properly, and one has to tug HARD to get it to lock. If you’re in a hurry, it is easy to forget to TUG at the door. This huge safety issue should be addressed by management as soon as possible. When we reported the theft, the management was slow to respond. The security guard took the incident report the night of the theft, but we had to call several times the next day to find out what to do next and obtain information on insurance and reimbursements. It was not until late afternoon that we were finally able to speak to a manager about their reimbursement and theft recovery policy. We stopped staying at this hotel due to its poor attention to guest safety.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank jmida
Reviewed 17 December 2007

Overall great location in downtown Detroit. Standard Courtyard rooms. Loved having a Starbucks under the same roof - very convenient! The hotel restaurant, Sweet Lorraines, was fantastic - fresh, local, mostly organic food. Restaurant servers were great. However, hotel seemed very understaffed. The staff was friendly, just not enough of them. My stay was several days in length and I always had to wait a long time (20-30 minutes) for valet parking attendants. Also, for someone not familiar with Detroit, the hotel's website directions from DTW airport are not complete or clear.

• Stayed: December 2007