“Excellent Location, Great Service!”

Courtyard Detroit Downtown
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Stayed here for a few days on business (after no vacancy at Renaissance across the street). What a great surprise! While it sits on a very busy street (Jefferson) it's kinda tucked away and easy to pass if driving. Sits right across from GM headquarters and the night I arrived there was an NHL Playoff game (Detroit vs Chicago) and the annual "ho down" celebration. The lobby is very clean and well appointed and the restaurant food is good (especially breakfast). Rooms very clean, flat screen tv, high-speed internet in rooms only, and fitness center is top notch. Only complaint is the valet only parking $20 and influx of street beggars in/out of facility. In fact, I was approached within 5 minutes of being seated at the hotel restaurant. While I had no problem handing over a few dollars, the young lady hit up almost everyone at the bar before being escorted out by security. Speaking of security, during evening/overnight hours an armed guard is posted at the entryway to the elevators and guests must show room key before being granted access. While I didn't feel unsecure at any time, I applaud the mangement for the proactive approach. Hotel is within walking distance to Greektown and other main downtown attractions. Very clean and comfortable place to stay and I'd definitely stay here again when in Detroit. Oh, the customer service from the front desk staff was EXCEPTIONAL throughout my stay!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Detroit Downtown

Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed here for the Final Four. Great location - walked to the games. Everyone at this Marriott did an excellent job. Front desk - great. Cafe staff great for after game noshing - remembered my son's penchant for chocolate shakes. Car valet prompt and courteous. Clean pool. Rooms are standard chain hotel stuff, but really it was almost like a boutique hotel because of the GREAT STAFF. They should all get raises and recognition. Walked to Greek Town for dinner and beautiful Catholic church a few blocks away for mass on Sunday. Really impressed. Been all over the world, and had a better time here than in some five star hotels in NYC.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We have stayed at Courtyard Downtown Detroit many times for Hockey games and I have to say we have had but one bad experience. The rooms are large, staff is friendly, River views, Lorraine's is tasty, convenient to people mover, what's not to like? Even the bad experience (Heater was stuck on and the room was hot), was not that bad once we opened the window. The rooms are large with a great view of the river, and if you ask for a corner room, the rooms are REALLY large. We have playoff tickets and I asked my lovely wife if she wants to try the Ren Cen for a change of pace, and she responded "Why?".

Negative reviews are either from really picky people or the competition, IMHO.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappySXM
Reviewed 1 December 2008

I don't have a bad thing to say about the Downtown Courtyard Marriott. Large room. Very comfortable king size bed. Beautiful, clean and roomy bathroom. Hotel location is very convenient. People mover accessible thru hotel lobby. Nice restaurant in hotel. We had the breakfast buffet and it was delicious. $13 per person, certainly not cheap but since it was buffet we ate plenty and got our fill of food. All the hotel staff were friendly and the waitress at Lorraine's was very helpful and friendly. We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2008

i got a hell off a bargain on priceline 50 a night. did think to much off detroit but this hotel made my stay more enjoyable good facilities, helpful staff. only bad thing i could pick is the windows were filthy. fully recommend

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2008

We were not at all happy with this hotel. First, be aware that they charge $20 per day for valet parking. If you self-park it's $15 per pay. For $20, you have to wait inordinately long for them to get your car. The hotel is noisy because of the people mover train that goes around or through the hotel. Also, the breakfast food didn't sit well in our stomachs. Don't waste your money on this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Triangle123
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I hadn't been to Detroit for many years and had heard bad stories, even read bad reviews of hotels, so i selected the one with the best reviews I could find (in my price range).

I was pleasantly surprised, even kind of amazed at what a great experience it was. My husband was playing at the Jazz Festival and the location couldn't have been better. We walked to all the places we needed to go.

The room was nicely decorated, very clean and new. It was the quietest hotel I've been in except for some very exclusive Ritz-Carlton types. The desk help was friendly, respectful and helpful. We got a late check out upon request. Our reservations were handled quickly and expertly with no delays.

There is a fee of $20 to get the car valet parked but were told we could park it ourselves for $10 in the adjacent structure. We opted for the valet and were not charged extra for a full day when we were not in the hotel. During the entire visit, we had access to the car keys whenever we wanted with safe, convenient parking.

I don't know what it's like there at night when there is no jazz festival going on but after a certain time in the evening, they made it necessary to show your key before going up on to your room. I found this rather comforting.

It was a great stay and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple