“Good hotel but rude staff”

Courtyard Detroit Downtown
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Tustin, California
“Good hotel but rude staff”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

For the city of Detroit, this is a good hotel. The Courtyard and the Marriott are probably the best hotels in this area. Location is good because you have a CVS and food court nearby that are accessible w/o going outside. Plus, you have Canada walking distance away. The rooms here are big and nice, typical for a the Marriott brand. The only negative thing that I have to say is that the staff is not very welcoming. Do not expect to get a hello, a smile or even a glance as you walk in. Oh, and don't walk out of the gym w/ your gym towel because the security guard will freak out!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
charlotte, nc
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I stayed three nights there in December. I was very impressed. My room (booked in a package w/air via Expedia) was large and overlooked the Detroit River and Windsor, Ontario (i.e., South Detroit). I slept like a charm all three nights. The bed and pillows were great. I liked the fact that the morning breakfast buffett had two options: 1. Eggs, omelets, french toast, etc; 2. Oatmeal, fruit, yogurt. The latter fit the bill for me great! I had dinner there one night and the risotto (which was reasonably priced) was excellent. The gym was the biggest in a hotel that I had ever seen and I truly enjoyed it. Service (with one exception) was excellent. The only complaint that I had was with room service plates that were left out near my front door nearly all day. When I called the front desk to have it removed, the lady said "she would get to it right away). I think the plates were removed 1.5 hours later. The location of the hotel is across the street from the Renaissance Center and there is a People Mover station right in the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 21 December 2010

We were there for a Red Wings game ( of course ). The hotel was in a desireable location with lots going on. The hotel does have a restaurant w/ room service, but I was there to see the area not stay cooped up in the hotel.

The free wireless internet was good, but froze often. I love the beds and spacious rooms. The front desk people at all hours of the day were fantastic; especially the 3-11 staff, as we had most contact with them.

I think The Detroit People Mover is the greatest thing ever. I think more cities should grasp the DPM concept. It goes around the city, and for 50 cents per way; can't beat the price

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights and I absolutely loved it! My room was at the 17th floor, with great views over Canada and with a huuge king size bed! The room is pretty spacious, and the staff was very friendly and welcome. The hotel is located downtown, close to several attractions and casinos. I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Family had Red Wings tickets and this hotel was recommended by friends. We weren't disappointed. I had read other reviews about rude employees. During our visit, we met only wonderfully nice and helpful people. I believe that her name was Lela...though the only one behind the front desk at the time, she was all smiles and no attitude at all. All of the front desk workers were quick with answers, smiles and very helpful. Our valet Martin was kind enough to hold our bags after check out so that we could go explore the city. He then cheerfully helped load our bags into our car.
The room was very clean and comfortable. We were on the 15th floor so the People Mover, which comes almost directly to the hotel's front door, never bothered us. The kids really enjoyed riding on the People Mover which only costs 50 cents per rider. Took it straight to the Joe Louis Arena for a 2.00 ride for the whole family. Sunday morning we took another ride around the city to see everything in the light. We also took the People Mover from Joe Louis to Greektown after the game. It was 10 o'clock pm and it was full of very happy hockey people. Almost all got off at Greektown for casino, pastry or just a wonderfu dinner. (Pegasus is our favorite.) Hotel is right across from Ren Cen and a great view of the river as well as Windsor. We would definitely stay at the Courtyard again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kimbill97
marquette,mi
Reviewed 1 October 2010

We went to check in at 3 and there were no rooms ready. The staff were rude and stated that people that had stayed the previous night were late in checking out .And they were short on housekeeping help.
Then when we finally got in our room housekeeping supervisors kept opening the door asking if housekeeping had been there.
There is no smoking in the hotel due to state law and i was told by one person at the hotel to go smoke on Jefferson. There are a lot of homeless and beggars there, I did not feel safe smoking alone there. also the hotel does nothing to scare away the beggars .Other customers told me there use to be a bench with ashtrays but that was not there anymore.
I prepaid for my hotel and was not told there was a 20.00 a day for parking.
There was no continental breakfast, only free coffee in the lobby and that was available until 8:30 .
The hotel does have a resturant on site and they charged 13.95 for breakfast buffet. Omelets, waffles and french toast . But there was only one lady working her tail off.. and too many people wanting omlets. this place was understaffed.

The only good thing is there is a stop for the people mover next door and you can go to Greektown for dinner.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcornfoot
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2010

This hotel was nice and clean but some of the staff were rude and not very helpful. Especially at the pool. Breakfast was also overpriced. Great location.

• Stayed September 2010