Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Los Angeles, California
“Huge Rooms”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I was planning a trip for 6 guys, and this was the only hotel in a reasonable price range that said that had rooms that would accomodate 6. We were in town for a Tigers game and a night of casino/bar hopping, and we were able to fit 6 guys pretty comfortably in their large 2-queen + sofabed suite. The living room and bedrooms were big enough to fit 2 aerobeds, plus a rollaway bed from the hotel, so all 6 guys had their own mattress including the pullout sofa. Made for a very comfortable sleeping situation.
The amenities of the suite itself were pretty standard, no complaints about cleanliness or anything like that.
The location was pretty great for our purposes, walkable to the stadium, walkable to Greektown, and walkable to the MGM, but also right around the corner from public transportation if walking isn't your thing.
The only downside was having to pay 20 dollars for parking, with no self-parking alternative. I wish we had taken advantage of the restaurant/bar in the hotel lobby because that also looked pretty good. Overall a good stay at a great value and will most likely stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
sdunavent, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Wow great to hear that you loved the size of our rooms. That happens to my favorite thing also it makes it so easy if you have several people in your room to be able to close the rooms off. Thanks for the great comments
Hope to see you again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I have to say this hotel and it's restaurant bar were a very pleasant surprise. Scarlett and the staff in the Round Bar were excellent - fast and attentive. Food was GREAT!

The Round Bar stayed open after normal closing hours for our group and were always friendly and seemed to genuinely enjoy their work.

Rooms were fantastic - HUGE suites - clean comfortable beds and separate living room area - flat screen TV's in both rooms.

The Executive Lounge was not open while I was there - but I asked for and received vouchers for complimentary breakfasts. (8-day stay in November 2011).

Front Desk and shuttle driver staff were all very friendly and helpful - even took us to and from Motown Museum.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Joe4stage
Thank you so much for the response. It's always great to see when people are surprised by our hotel and our wonderful city. Hope we see you again soon
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Do not go to this hotel on a Monday. They hold a parking lot party until midnight that is directly under the windows. They use huge speakers with heavy bass music, making it impossible to sleep until the party is over. The crowd noise is also very bad until after the event is over. They advised me the event is every Monday night.
Upon check-in the staff was very unresponsive and acted as if they were doing me a favor by letting me stay in their hotel. They provided no information about the hotel to include me havng to ask for directions to the elevator. Very poor service all the way around.
On the positive side- the rooms are very spacious and well laid out. The beds are comfortable and had it not been for the incessant noise the night would have been nice.

Also note there is $20 valet parking as the only option other than unsecured lots which is not a good option in Detroit. I would recommend the Greektown Casino Hotel as a much nicer and comparatively priced hotel which is nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room to avoid the party noise
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
sdunavent, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
I was so sorry to hear about the nosie keeping you up at night. We have just started this outside event and are working out the bugs to ensure we don't disturb our other guest. I have gone over your issues with the front office manager and can ensure you that service is our number one concern. I so hope you will try us again and see that we do know how to deliver the promise to our guest
CA
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Pros: Staff at front desk is generally overall extremely good, some of them very accommodating. Was given King Suite which was really nice. Wouldn't mind living there, the design of the rooms was so homey , comfortable, and pretty--- without that hotel weird vibe and design. You kind of don't want to leave your room. Free wi fi appreciated. Noise is not a problem. Cons: Was very disappointed that they said no to a 1/2 an hour grace period on checking out in the morning when at night they told me yes. The neighborhood is a big downer. It's scary. If you're not familiar with Detroit when you first come in, it can freak you out. The hotel is on a deserted street (at night-- forget it-- super-deserted), with bombed-out buildings all around. They tell you it's not at all unsafe but it feels unsafe. They do stress however, that you really, really should do the $20 valet parking, as your car will be broken in to. Twenty dollars. That's a lot. You can park on the street, but have to move your car by 7 AM, and again, there's lots of talk of getting broken in to. There are small parking lots all around ("5 dollar for tonight 10 dollar if you leave at 10 a.m."), but those places feel realllly sketchy and they don't seem manned at all past midnight so what's the point-- you'll be broken in there too. We valeted the car-- they take it some distance away, who knows where-- and it came back filled with green bugs. ???? Free USA today at your door in the morning. Three dollar bottles of 79 cent aquafina water. So, I complain, complain, complain, but still I liked it-- it was comfortable and the people were nice. It could MOST definitely use better housekeeping!-- but it's not nearly as bad as some other hotels I've been to, many at higher star levels, so it's not so bad. A note to housekeeping: Really bad dust problem. Needs to be dusted!!!!

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NoneNamedYet
Thank you so much for your comments on the friendly staff and the size of our rooms. I am disappointed in your experiance with housekeeping. We normally get great feedback in this area. I have reviewed your concerns with our Dir of housekeeping and her prompt attention will be taken moving forward. We look forward to seeing you again soon
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here while in Detroit for my daughter wedding. Because of the media, I had a bad expectation of the city of Detroit, but my own personal experience was wonderful. The room was huge and very comfortable bed. Location is great. And Sarah, I will never forget her, she was the perfect example of excellent customer service skills. Weddings can be very stressful, but she showed my daughter and me so much compassion and patience in dealing with us. Thank you, and for sure I will come again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Someones wedding is so important and stressful at the same time. We were honored to be a part of that speical day and glad we helped releive the stress a bit
Nelsonville, Ohio
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The least expensive Doubletree that I've ever stayed it.....It is located in war-torn Detroit....but is super upscale and nice. Safe private parking, big rooms with 2 TVs, etc. If you're looking for a place in Detroit - this is it!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This Doubletree opened about 4-5 years ago in an old building that had sat dormant for many years. The Rooms and suites are varied in layout and offer lots of space for the money. The "round Bar" on the fitrst floor offers good food in a lively atmosphere. Good alternative to some of the more pricey hotels in Detroit.

Room Tip: Some rooms have showers - some tubs. Request your preference on reservation or on check in.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dbhIII
I never get tired of hearing how nice and large our rooms are in the hotel. Thank you for your comments and glad to hear you had a great meal in our round bar. Look forward to seeing you again soon.