Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel was very nice and a perfect location to participate in the Cocoa Classic race. I was not aware until I arrived that your only parking options was were park at your own risk in nearby parking garages or pay the $25 for valet parking. I chose the valet parking and while I was sitting in the bar that evening with friends having a drink I regretted that choice. We watched other vehicles being parked in the valet lot and I was a little annoyed to see the attendants pulling into the lot faster than necessary. There is a noticeable incline to the lot and the speeds they were going could cause damage to the vehicle.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Larry B, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for the feedback. I have addressed my Valet team. We respect each guest and their things. We look forward to being of service the next time you are in town.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel with helpful and friendly people. The rooms are spacious and well taken care of. Mine was a two room Suite that is perfect for business travel. The restaurant is very nice and the food was great. Allow yourself plenty of time to dine as the service is very good but a bit on the slow side.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Larry B, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent stay. I am pleased to see you enjoyed the hotel. I am disappointed to hear of the slow service. I have passed your comments along to our Food and Beverage Director and staff. I truly thank you for staying with us and look forward to being of service the next time you are in Detroit.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Everything was about as good as it could be from the courteous helpful check-in to the large suite, breakfast and valet parking. Had dinner in the sports bar one night and the restaurant one night. Same menu but much quieter in the restaurant. Very busy with Tigers opening day and hockey games. This made the valet parking a little slow but still acceptable. No problems, very comfortable, quiet despite crowds and the price beat everything else I would consider in the area. Will stay ere again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sometrip

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your recent stay. I am pleased to see you enjoyed the hotel and staff. I truly thank you for staying with us and look forward to being of service the next time you are in Detroit.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This hotel is good value for money, with nice and well equipped rooms and friendly staff. But for me best of all is that the hotel is located at the former Fort Shelby Hotel, which has been abandoned for years (like many Detroit buildings) but instead of being demolished has been carefully restorated. It just adds that intangible extra of sleeping in a piece of Detroit history ! If you don't want the valet parking you can ask for self parking options which are not pro-actively mentioned.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Larry B, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for the recent stay with us. We are so honored to be a Historic building and a great part of the History of our great city of Detroit!! We look forward to being of service the next time you visit.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I am very disappointed with this hotel and the Hilton Brand. We walked into the hotel after driving 3+ hours from our home in Ohio to a room with a dirty bathroom (toilet that looked like someone who was very sick had just used it), a half drank bottle of water in the refrigerator, and a stain on the bed liner. We simply wanted to shower quickly and get to a baby shower, which obviously we could not do in a dirty room and a disgusting bathroom. After speaking with the staff, we were able to move rooms (after going around the director of HR and housekeeping). This lady director was not friendly and originally told us to wait in the room while the toilet was being repaired. We said we just wanted to shower and after going through someone else at the front desk-- a man named Larry-- we were able to move to a different room on the same floor. Larry also stated we would have 1/2 off of the rate of the room for the inconvenience. From then on staff was very nice and I had no complaints. Larry was very kind and another woman who came up to our room was very kind as well. However, when I look at my credit card statement, we were charged the full amount. I have spoke on the phone 2 different times, being told Larry is busy or not in the hotel. I have left messages to be called back, and nothing has come of this. I don't understand why I can't be directed to someone who could handle this problem. I am very disappointed in the Hilton. We were recommended this hotel from a friend who lives in the area, and were very upset with the situation. I am also very upset the charging of my credit card was not reviewed, especially since there was a serious problem with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

It was a pleasure speaking with you the day of your visit. Again, I am sorry for the mix up with the first suite. I have addressed your concerns with my team. As for the discounted rate. I am suprissed to read it was not done. I fully intend to honor what I told you that day. I never want anyone leaving my hotel with a bad feeling about the experence here. I would be happy to address any other concerns you may have. I want you to feel great about staying with us in the future. I know that you have many options when you are staying away from home. The fact that you trusted us with that is not lost on me. I hope you had a great time at the baby shower!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We came to Detroit for our annual April in the D. Red Wings and Tigers. We have stayed at various hotels, but this is the first time at DoubleTree. Had reservations at another hotel, but looked around and found this one was $100 less for our 2-night stay. Very happy with this choice! Close to the People Mover, valet parking, nice and clean room. What really stands out 'though, is the very friendly and courteous staff, all over the hotel. It really made our stay special. We will return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased to see you enjoyed that stay. We look forward to being of service, the next time you are in Detroit.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Our first family trip in 12 years, Mom, Dad, and 2 adult daughters. We arrived at the hotel in the evening. We did not have any trouble finding the place. Pulled up front to valet, and had help unloading our luggage. Check in was easy, we were of course handed our warm cookies. Our room was on the third floor. It had a nice assortment of vending and ice machine. The room is very spacious which was great for the four of us. The living room consists of a pull out couch, chair, tv, desk, and dry bar. The large bathroom vanity separates the living and sleeping area. This was also nice for 3 women to get ready in the morning. The shower and toilet has its own private space. Our room had two queen beds. The beds were comfortable and the blackout curtains were great. The room is equipped with 2 tv's, an alarm, clock, hair dryer, and iron, ironing board. There is not a refrigerator in the room which would have been a nice feature. We also had trouble with wifi in the room, which when checked, they said was fine. But we would constantly lose the signal.

We ate two meals in the hotel's Round Bar. Meals were good on both occassions, same waiter and bartender both nights. The second night was difficult to get our waiters attention for much. I think he had tables in both the bar and restaraunt.

The hotel is directly across from NBC 7&4 news as well as Comerica Bank. This makes for a safer area with several security cameras around. The alley behind the bank will lead directly to the "People Mover" which takes you around the loop to all important venues in Detroit for $0.75. The hotel shuttle is also available and quick and friendly.

Check out was equally easy as check in, called the valet about 5-10 minutes prior to our departure and it was there waiting when we came down.

HHonors. I am a silver HHonors member and am confused by perks at some establilshments and not at others. Generally you are provided with a bottle of water for each guest at check in. Bottled water is free only to Gold and Diamond members. There are also two floors reserved for only Gold and Diamond members. I'm just not so sure about the HHonors program. I show my loyalty by staying at Hilton presmises but have different benefits at different hotels. Anyway, I would return to this hotel in the future if the price was right.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for the recent stay with us. I am pleased to see that over all you enjoyed your visit. I do value and thank you for being a member of our great reward program Hilton Honors. You should have recived to bottles of water. We place them in the suites. I am sorry, that did not happen for you. I have addressed this issue with my team. Again, I thank you for staying with us. We look forward to being of service, the next time you are in Detroit.