All reviews candy bar soft opening disco ball boutique hotel studio room local channels handwritten note closet space watch netflix valet parking is available amazing location opera house bath towels valet service would stay here again rooms are small opened the door
Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

I don’t know where to start with this place, so I will just start listing my issues:

The lobby is small and cluttered. A big round table sits right in front of the registration desk. The lack of open space makes it awkward when walking to the front desk with luggage.

No coffee/tea maker in the room. Bummer!

One of my towels in the bathroom had brown spots. Gross!

The toilet is black. While that looks interesting, I can’t see if it is clean and that’s gross to me.

The bed is way too soft and low.

I tried to adjust the thermostat with no luck. I tried to call to the front desk for help, but the phone in the room did not work. I had to call the hotel from my cell phone to ask for help. It turns out that they control the Heat/AC from the front desk. Inconvenient! Around 3:50am I woke up sweating. I checked the thermostat and they had turned it back on heat! I had to call the front desk (from my cellphone) and ask them again to leave my room on cool. This issue right here will be the reason why I would never stay here again and I would never encourage anyone else to stay here. A centrally controlled thermostat is silly!

The stadium and the people mover are right outside of my window, so it’s fairly noisy. Well, not fairly noisy, it is very noisy!

The lighting in the room is horrible! All of the lights are soft. Even when you turn them all on, it’s still dim in the room.

The shower has 1/2 a wall and no door.

Other than the issues listed above, the positive is that the hotel room was decorated nicely. That’s not enough to make me want to ever come back. I type this at 4am as I am still waiting for my room to cool. Not a happy camper.

Trip type: Travelled on business
6  Thank 777zba
Andrew M, Front Office Manager at The Siren Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2018

Sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. We appreciate all the feedback, and have applied some changes to the thermostats. As far as our design, I would say judgment be reserved upon entering the hotel, as what we offer in terms of taste and style, are unrivaled in Metro Detroit.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

My room (a studio) was tiny: there was only 2 or 3 ft. of floor space around the double bed. And the room was stupid: there was no closet; instead, there was a hook on the wall with 4 hangers. There was no desk or bureau; thus, there were no drawers to put clothes in. There was no chair; instead, there was a long, low bench (1 ft. tall) with a cushion on one half and snacks for sale and an ice bucket on the other half. There was a TV; however, it was mounted, not at the foot of the bed, but to one side of it, so, to watch it while sitting in bed (there was no chair, remember) you have to turn your head a full 90 degrees. Of course, there was no iron, no coffee maker, no refrigerator. And there is no way I would ever stay in one of this hotel's tiny, stupid rooms again.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank chiandretired

Thank you for your well articulated review, and thoughtful feedback. Our Studio rooms do contain a Full Bed with less space than most of our other room types, and do lean toward a more European-style experience. Our website has an excellent explanation of the different rooms we offer, with a varying array of amenities. If you wish to stay with us in the future, please reach out, so we may place you in a room best suited for your needs.

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

I didn’t know what to expect from this brand new hotel in downtown Detroit....it is owned by a design company therefore design and branding are the priority. While I was a bit taken aback when I first walked in as the design in the lobby is perhaps a touch more shabby chic than I like, it did turn out to be fun, homey, the service friendly and they were accommodating when little things went wrong!

They are still working out a few kinks as there are still some rooms that must be completed but once they are fully open, then it should be a charming boutique option in the heart of downtown! The Candy Bar is a highlight and a throwback to a forties movie set! They also have plans for a few dining options and a barber shop too!

The rooms are comfortable and bed and bedding fantastic! They need more closet space as there is little or none, a safe in the room and while the bathroom design is cool it is not super functional.

We hope the maintenance will keep up with the wear as Hotels take a beating from guests and the light peach rug and parlay floors may get stained or scratched.

I wish them luck and do hope to get back some time again!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 1-Hotelpro

Awesome to hear you had a great time!!!

Reviewed 5 May 2018

In Greek mythology, sirens lure sailors in to their doom. The Siren Hotel lured me in with its newness and gorgeous art deco aesthetic and now I'm doomed because I want to go back and stay for more than one night! This hotel is still in their soft launch period, so there are still a few kinks they have to work out, but I never had a problem. My studio room was small, but comfortable. The check in/out desk had knowledgeable and super nice people working at it and the coffee bar was incredibly delicious! And holy heck, that lobby is beautiful. You walk through a curtain after the front door and it almost feels like entering another glitzy period in time.
The only two bummers I experienced was 1, the TV just has Roku. I have a strange love of watching local news when I travel, but maybe they'll eventually get local channels or basic cable in the future? IDK. That would be nice. And 2, I didn't get to experience the Candy Bar, but that's because the wind was terrible and the power went out, which isn't their fault. I'll just have to come back! After feeling kinda lost and not knowing where to get food/drinks in a half-powerless downtown, an awesome guy working in the lobby told me about a place down the street. And it was good! So yeah, friendly staff, pretty on the inside, comfy room. I wasn't sure what to expect visiting Detroit, but it turned out to be a great time.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank lyshkoz

We also LOVE the review!!! Can't wait to welcome you back!!!

Reviewed 30 April 2018

If you don't know downtown Detroit, you might drive right by. There's no sign in front that says "SIREN!" Odd. The interior is very charming but also kind of kitschy. The check in process was smooth so they get good marks for that. Also, they are in a great location. I requested one of their medium priced rooms and found the bed a little small for two adults. The TV offerings are Roku so if you have accounts with streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) you'll be ok. We do not so finding something to watch was difficult. I suggest they add the local channels onto their offerings to at least give more options. The outlet by the small desk in the room didn't work, there was an open duct in the bathroom where some type of vent covering should have been, and the shower could have have had a curtain to go with the shower rod that was in there. Funny that housekeeping didn't notice theses things, but since it's only been open a month, they may have some things to finish. The lobby coffee bar didn't have decaf coffee either. Huh? Sorry but I can't drink caffeine. Big fail there. The one bright spot was the lobby bar. Named "Candy Bar," it was small but had an awesome vibe. Fantastic bartenders! The music was a little loud for our taste but we'll be back for another visit. The really bad issue I have with the hotel is the extra 200 miles that were put on my rental car by someone other than me. I called the GM (Noah?) to discuss it but a week later he still hasn't returned my call. So if they post a reply that says they would like me to reach out to them, well, I have. Several times. All in all, we probably won't be back. But if you like boutique hotels, you might like this place.

Room tip: Rooms are small. Very small. Construction on the building behind the hotel might make for a noisy morning. It did for us.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jt1120
Andrew M, Front Office Manager at The Siren Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Thank your for the thoughtful feedback, which we absolutely will take it into account. We understand that we are boutique hotel, and we are proud to offer something a little different to the Detroit market. We are absolutely happy to discuss any issue you may have faced. Feel free to reach out. My contact information is below.

amalangone@gmail.com