“An Excellent Corktown Eatery”
Review of Mudgie's

Mudgie's
Ranked #23 of 1,109 Restaurants in Detroit
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Atlanta
“An Excellent Corktown Eatery”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This was my first time eating at this restaurant since it became Mudgie's. I've always loved the location in Detroit's oldest neighborhood, Corktown. Mudgie's is small, popular and fills up quickly. I'm glad I beat the lunch crowd. The menu offers a nice variety of sandwiches. I ordered a Barrett so I could try their corned beef and a bottled drink. The sandwich was large and the corned beef very tender, the way I like it. Mudgie's offers a variety of desserts, but I was too filled to eat anything else. The service was friendly and attentive.

This is one of those great little neighborhood restaurants. I plan to go back next time I'm in Detroit.

• Visited December 2013

Southfield, Michigan
“Nice space. Food Needs a Little Work”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The atmosphere is decidedly friendly. We were greeted immediately upon entering one mid-afternoon Saturday recently, and then given a choice of three different tables. Though the decor is simple (plastic table cloth coverings), colors are warm and the place gives off a comfortable vibe. The hard wood floors are a interesting too. We loved the music — electronica, jazz, easy-going and young.
I ordered tomato soup with chorizo. Though it was served luke-warm, I enjoyed the spicy flavors and the tomato chunks. The slice of brown bread that accompanied the soup tasted like it had just come from the refrigerator unfortunately. One bite was enough.
The Caesar salad was fairly large, even for a half-order. It seemed a bit short on garlic flavor, but the dressing amount was adequate and the romaine was fresh. I tried the Barrett sandwich half-order with corned beef and house-made slaw. It was supposed to be served on a fresh onion roll, but it came on a couple half slices of cold bread. Maybe they had run out of the featured rolls by mid-afternoon. For dessert I tried the chocolate milk shake. It tasted more like milk and less like an ice cream shake. It left me thinking that I should have ordered the rich Calder's chocolate milk instead.
I loved the space and the friendly staff was a plus, but based on my meal, I think the food needed a little work.

• Visited January 2014
Michigan
“Great little find in Detroit”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Our group of eight got there early and barely beat the crowd. Easy to see why this place does well. Everyone loved their soup, salads, sandwiches, milk shakes, etc. A guy on a bike delivered trays of fresh sprouts we think ended up on our sandwiches! Very cool! We parked right on the street and walked in.

• Visited October 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Best sandiwch shop in Detroit”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Out of this world food. Not a sandwich on the menu I wouldn't eat. This is not the best place for large groups and anything more than 4 and this is not the best place. Great for business lunches during the week.

• Visited October 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Sammies, Great Ginger Beer”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The selection of both sandwiches and beer at this place is amazing. Especially the brews. Very friendly waitress, and Greg the owner even stopped by all the tables to check on their well being.

Visited October 2013