“Worst hotel I've stayed at in my life!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Columbus, Ohio
“Worst hotel I've stayed at in my life!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I traveled to Detroit on November 29, 2013 to attend my cousins wedding reception and booked this hotel through their website. I looked at the pictures and the ratings and thought this would be a lovely hotel to stay in since it was a few minutes from my relatives home. Needless to say I was completely wrong and disgusted with the outcome. My debit card was charged after stating I wanted to pay by cash. Room 106 was not clean, beds not made, etc.
Moved to 3rd floor, room 311 or 317 - headboard fell off the wall and shower was stopped up. Moved to 4th floor, room 417 - furnace not working. shower and sink stopped up and key to the room not working. General Manager was disrespectful, rude, unprofessional, lacked communications skills and used profanity. The Genera; Manager stated he would give 50% discount on stay and would let the Hotel Manager know. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, had to locate the waiter after 15 minutes of waiting for someone. No clean towels or washcloths at 9AM in the morning, had to place 3 calls to the front desk to ask for towels and wash cloths, but instead sent the maintenance man to the room stating the furnace was not working again instead of housekeeping. At check out, I and another hotel guest had to wait until hotel staff had a meeting to check out. No credit was given of any kind and I had to ask for a receipt. None of the charges on the invoice made any sense. Hotel Staff was unprofessional, very young, weren't able to work the computers, print invoices or activate the key cards to the hotel rooms properly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Vicki0821

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Right on the river walk. Beautiful views of Windsor and the river. Staff was very friendly and helpful. BIG rooms, high ceilings, a living and bedroom area both with flat screens. Sure its an older hotel and some things need updating but its clean and pretty and for the cost and location it can't be beat. If I had one complaint it would be that the beautiful river view was a bit obscured by windows that were due for a washing. Overall I highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you so much traveling guest for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent stay at our hotel! We love to hear from our guests!

Aren't those huge windows that showcase the view of the River and the Canadian coastline the best! We apologize though that they could have been cleaner - we promise to work on that! We would have to agree; there's just something so charming about an historic hotel, especially one that has such high ceilings, huge windows and tons of space in the room! So glad you enjoyed it.

Please do come back and see us and again. thank you!

Judy Cassidy / Management Team
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

You may have noticed I left a rather scathing review of this hotel a few months back. On a recent trip to Detroit, I found to my chagrin that virtually all of my regular hotels were booked due to the baseball playoffs. One hotel that had rooms left, the Roberts River Walk, of course. The price was right and I needed a room so I gritted my teeth and booked it. I can say that my experience this time was vastly different than my last stay. Yes the employee's are generally indifferent and some of the details are still lacking: The continental breakfast is a complete joke, but then again, at how many hotels in the US is a continental breakfast any good? There is no bellman and getting luggage in is a bit of a pain, but all those things aside I really enjoyed my stay this time. I had a room with 12 foot ceilings and a nice couch with a flat screen. The bed was very comfortable and I had LOTS of room. So the faucet was falling off the sink, but hey, a guy can't have everything. I love getting up in the morning and walking out by the river and I for one like the neighborhood. I stayed 2 nights and enjoyed myself enough that I approached the sales woman about setting up a corporate account since I stay in Detroit so frequently. She hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I'm sure she will call sometime... Its quirky and a little rough around the edges, but I like it and I will stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the upper level or over looking the river
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Djsubject51
Hello Traveling Guest!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay at our hotel.

It appears we still have work to do in terms of not only meeting, but exceeding our guests expectations and needs and are working hard towards accomplishing these goals - it sounds like you have seen a positive difference in comparison to your previous visit and that's what we like to hear!

I do apologize though that a sales person had not contacted you; we are excited to announce that we have promoted one of our star performers into the sales position and she will be contacting you right away.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the very near future!

Judy Cassidy / Management Team
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Hotel itself was pretty decent. Everything was super clean and in place, but the service was lacking at first. We went to check in and the man at the counter was more interested in a friend/co-worker than us, and we had to wait…which was awkward. And the location was in a very shady part of town. All the surrounding buildings looked abandoned or neglected entirely for years. Otherwise, it was an excellent stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Hello Jordan,

Thank you so much for taking time out to tell us how your recent stay was at our beautiful, historic hotel.

And please accept our apologies for the customer service experience you had; our customers are #1 and mean everything to us and we obviously fell short of delivering that message to you. We're so sorry.

The Riverwalk District of Detroit is where our hotel is located; we're actually the only hotel on the riverwalk ~ And it's true, some of the buildings near our hotel have been vacant for awhile but the city has been working diligently on enhancing the entire area. Of course that won't happen overnight but so many improvements have already been completed and we're hopeful it won't take much longer before new corporations move in down the street. We are also near some very nice apartment complexes in more of a residential/small business area making it a unique environment - one that sets us apart from the hustle and bustle of the city hotels.

We do hope you'll come back and visit us; I think you'll enjoy it in the summer time when you can take advantage of the gorgeous view of the River and experience a nice, leisurely walk along the Riverwalk.

Management Team / jc
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Relaxing view of the Detroit River. Instant access to the Riverwalk. Delicious food - prepared and served by the most professional, yet personable staff. Surrounded by luxury and eligant settings however you are made to feel right at home. Large rooms, comfortable beds, free wifi, beautiful lobby and the downstairs resturaunt and bistro (complete with a pool table) provide an excellent atmoshpere for fine dining and also enjoying the games with friends. Once you try the "Steak Bites" you'll be hooked. A "gym room" is also available at the hotel. The shuttle service makes it very easy to visit nearby attractions. The service is excellent, food is the very best, rooms are very comfortable and the view is outstanding --- however above and beyond all that --- the staff is what keeps me coming back. They truly make you feel like it is their duty to insure you have a wonderful time. I found this "best kept secret" 3 years ago and it has become my favorite "get-away spot". I come from PA every chance I can to stay here. I begin to plan my next trip back the minute I check out. They set the standard for "Professionalism and Customer Service but never loose that personal touch that makes you feel special the minute you walk in the doors. Your next trip to Detroit - check them out --- better yet just make plans now to visit. You will be very glad you did! An added treat is the management often books entertainment. One trip I was there for an excellent Jazz Night they were offering. Wonderful evening of excellent music which allowed meet sweet folks from Detroit and make new friendships.

Room Tip: If possible get a "River View" room. The best therapy you will ever enjoy!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Hello PistonsFan!

Wow - what we can say but "thank you" for being such a loyal fan of ours and for helping to share the word about Detroit's "Best Kept Secret"!

We're so glad you are always able to take advantage of the wonderful food, atmosphere, HUGE rooms and best of all our friendly, personable staff! They are the greatest!

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. And again, thank you for taking the time to tell us how we're doing. We appreciate you and your business!

Management Team / jc
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The sales office of this hotel showed a level of incompetence that I have never seen before. I asked for a block of 40 rooms for my wedding. 5 days later, I received an enormous file (5 MB or something) with information on banquets- not hotel rooms. I wrote back to clarify and was told that I would get the information shortly. I did. A few things happened that were relatively unpleasant, but I decided to go ahead with the rooms because of the price and location of the hotel and because it's important to us to support local businesses (more local than the Hilton anyway). When I wrote back to ask how to confirm this, I got the following message: "Im sorry,bu due to changes in management here i am unsure of your event." Another exchange of a few e-mails, and Ms. Watkins said she had "found my information" (probably after scrolling down in the original email) and would send the booking info soon. 8 days later, no response. If it's this hard to get a booking done, I can't even imagine dealing with any issues once my guests are actually there! Yikes.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank R0amingTurtle
Dear Roaming Turtle,

Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback on your group booking with Roberts Riverwalk Hotel.

We are disappointed that your experience was not of the best and understand your frustrations. Please accept our apologies.

We agree, the situation you described could/should have been handled more professionally; we had an interim sales associate who was trying to do her best in a new situation. Unfortunately, this transition was felt by you as our guests and that is something we do not want to ever happen. We are pleased to report that we have since promoted a very capable, professional and experienced manager into the role of Director of Sales to ensure everyone's corporate, group and event needs are not only met but exceeded.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity and visit us again in the future.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We value your comments and you as our customer.

Management Team

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed here several years ago, when it was an Omni. The hotel is just as beautiful but the new ownership is evident in the warmth of the staff. I was greeted warmly by everyone. I had a meal downstairs in the restaurant and it was great, and the bartender was very gracious. I was only going to spend 1 night here, and three at a hotel that sponsored lodging for a conference I'm attending at Wayne State. Once I got here, I had such a great experience I just stayed here. If there is any issue, they are glad to take care of it right away. There is a kind of casual elegance about the hotel and the staff that makes this hotel special to me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mark6162
Hello Mark,

Thank you so much for taking time to provide us such positive feedback on your recent stay at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel!

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate gracious comments about our warm and friendly staff and atmosphere. I would have to agree; there is a certain "homey" charm to our historic and beautiful hotel. We invite you to come back again and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Management Team & Staff