“Perfect Summer Get-away”

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I made my plans for my August trip to Detroit and was once again spoiled by the amazing staff at the Roberts Riverwalk Hotel. From making the reservations ------ to my final good-bye they were so very helpful. Received a very warm welcome when I arrived -- a very speedy check-in -- followed by housekeeping checking to insure everything in the room was perfect. The food at the Bistro was excellent --- there was no need to go out to eat. They permitted me to stream my favorite Smooth Jazz Radio show to enjoy the music on their sound system. Thursday evening they offered a FREE Jazz Along the River entertainment that was very enjoyable. Friday they offered a Karaoke Night that was a fun night. As always the staff treated me like family ---- everyone was always checking to see if I needed anything or what they could do to make my stay more pleasant. Of course the amazing view of the Detroit River provided a very relaxing atmosphere and the eligant rooms with the high ceilings and classic furnishings allow you to truly feel like a VIP. When walking out the back door you are immediately on the beautiful Detroit Riverwalk and you can enjoy a nice walk along the Detroit River and enjoy the many beautiful parks and attactions along the Riverwalk. As alwlays the only bad part of my trip was when I had to leave ---guaranteed I will return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: If possible request a Riverview Room. You will love the view from your window.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The front desk made several mistakes while reserving rooms for a wedding I recently attended. They lost the reservations for our room as well as several of our friends. The receptionist said "I do apologize" over and over but lacked sincerity, hustle, and acted as though we were bothering her. She scoffed at us for not having a confirmation number, when every other hotel on the planet can look up a reservation by last name or credit card. To make a long story short, we spent an hour in the lobby and were late for the ceremony. The cherry on top of it all: we were greeted by a dirty plunger outside the room we finally ended up with. Definitely needs new management.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Bestke
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Overall this hotel has great potential to be a romantic getaway spot, unfortunately it fails to shine through in its current state. This hotel is housed in a historical building that used to be part of Parke Davis pharmaceuticals research labs. In its previous incarnation it was an Omni hotel and I think they were the ones who originally gutted the place and converted into a hotel.

I am optimistic that if not the current owner or someone in the future figurers it out, this could be an exceptional luxury destination property (add a spa to some of the dead space in the basement) given its location and it is one of the few if not only hotels in Detroit directly on the river and if you have not seen the Detroit River it is actually a beautiful setting with near blue water and the only place in the U.S. where you actual look south and can see Canada across the river. Roberts Riverwalk truly boasts an unmatched view and access to the Riverwalk. I came with my wife and two kids for a family reunion. My sister-in-law had an even worse experience as she had to change rooms several times beginning with the first not having working air conditioning.

PROS
Nice European style - reminded me of a hotel we stayed at in Florence, Italy with its staircase and basement restaurant.
Rooms with huge windows so large a grown up can sit in them, and in our room: featuring water views
Direct access out the back door to the Riverwalk and the water
Centrally located to the Riverwalk and Belle Isle
Less than a half mile from Detroit's outdoor concert amphitheater, Chene Park.
Large rooms with 20 foot ceilings
Free parking
Next door to the Parke Davis offices and GM UAW Human Resources offices

No late check out, front desk had to “check with housekeeping” when I asked for a late check on a Sunday morning and of course I never heard back from them
No clock in the room
One of the two phones in the room did not work
Breakfast had only one person working and was rather slow
For hot tea at breakfast I was provided Lipton packets without any other choices
"Continental breakfast" was beverage only and we were told that the pastry/bread portion was discontinued a "few weeks ago"
We were placed in a room on the southeast corner on the first floor directly above an outdoor party with loud music
The grounds given the proximity to the lake have tons of potential, however were in poor shape
Pool/billards table was missing the pool cue chalk, so the cue sticks scratched on the balls...simple details that can make a big difference
No pool
While not quite "shabby", overall the hotel is in need of a refurb and attention to minor details like cleaning the light switch covers
Water dispenser in lobby with plastic cups was helpful but it lacked that extra detail in perhaps having cut strawberries or lemons in the water as you see in some hotels
Breakfast was not good, the waffles were doughy and the pancakes looked great, but lacked any flavor
While our room did have body wash, they only provided one tiny bar of soap and no refill on our second day say I had to ask for two more and the front desk clerk reached into a cluttered desk drawer and produced one soap then had to go across the lobby through a door to get another
No new soap on day 2
Pull out bed was truly roughing it without any sort of cushion
Dirty windows, left the million dollar view lacking
A bit of a hike to downtown (2 miles or more), net if you come for a Tigers, Lions or Red Wings game you will either need to cab it, drive or where some comfortable walking shoes

Room Tip: Ask for a river facing room, however first make sure there is not any major party going on on the ou...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2014

As stated in my title review this hotel could be a "gem" if managed correctly. My husband and I stayed at this hotel 9years ago on our Honeymoon night, it was charming, lovely and romantic. Decided to spend our 9th honeymoon here as well. Ugh! Why didn't I review before we reserved? Hotel is awful! Upon entering our room, no bed skirt, all we saw was box springs, no ironing board, 2 small pillows, no key to in room safe, and sparse amenities. Called front desk to inquire about bed skirt, safe key and lack of pillows. Told housekeeping has left for the day...it's 3:00, check in time? Told she would (front desk) would see if she could locate an extra pillow; however, we had to come down to retrieve a safe key. Check in staff brought a pillow and ironing board from next room. Will NEVER darken this hotels doorstep again!!! Go elsewhere if you desire a quality stay, we've already decided to forgo the continental breakfast based on reviews know read, although too late.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Liblck
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This hotel needs serious work in maintenance and customer service. Door knobs were hanging off; several people got stuck in the bathroom and could not get out. One couple left because the lock on their room was broken and never fixed. The facility was overbooked. The response to their concern was rude and arrogant. Other room reservations were lost. The lobby was sweltering when it was cool and pleasant outside. The only phone in my room was in thr bathroom and there was no clock at all. The continental breakfast was cold muffins. The wheel chairs that were provided were all broken, one with no foot rests and one with no arm rests and one foot rest. That could easily be remedied. The locatio is great. Right on the Riverwalk but the faility needs a major overall and a lean sweep of staff with emphasis on customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela W
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Let's start off by saying the review below me by Jordan6022? Nailed it. We had almost the exact same experience last weekend also there for a wedding so just know, that review is SPOT. ON. Here's my top points:

Pros:
- large rooms, tall ceilings / windows
- beautiful room (IF you are on the river side)

and thats it.

Cons:
- Everything is just dingy. Door hinges broken, phones broken, dirty carpet, thin/old towels, broken coffee maker. Broken drain and several outlets not working, which already are a rare find in hotel rooms
- Housekeeping... ha! We ran out of toilet paper and had to call the front desk THREE times. Not enough pillows or "towels" either
- continental "breakfast" consisted of a Keurig (yep, at a HOTEL) and muffins about the size of golf balls pre-wrapped... likely from the 7-11 down the street
- The noise.... oh God, the noise. The hotel restaurant on the lower level rented out their space to a Western Michigan University Alumni club and blared music / lights until 2:30 am. You could hear it pounding through the walls - - oh and a fight broke out right outside a wedding guests window. Several wedding guests checked out at 2 am because they couldn't take it anymore. Many calls were made to the front desk who did nothing. The guests at that party weren't even staying at the hotel!

This hotel needs new management. It has wonderful potential with the historic charm and location, but they are failing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lindsey M
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Let me start with the positives, because there are a few. Ivy Simmons, the Sales Manager, was helpful in the planning process of our wedding room block (we had about 35 rooms). Her communication was good, was polite, and had a sincere concern about the issues that occurred while staying there. The location is off the beaten path, but right on the Detroit River. It has great views and has a nice outdoor brick patio for enjoying a drink at the end of the night (bring your own). Parking was free as well. As far as the good, that's about it.

Lets continue on with the bad. The hotel is dirty, not disgusting, but really needs a good scrub down. The staff, with a few exceptions, were lazy and rude to most of our guests. They had a general sense of complacency and are not being managed properly. With the exception of the front desk guy named Miguel, most of the staff could be trained if they had a strong leader to show them the ropes. Miguel has no business working in the customer service business.

We had a penthouse for a total of five nights. It received housekeeping services ONCE, even after mentioning this to the management. The room was dark, but big. The towels are hand me downs from the motel 6, terrible. The size of the soap brings a whole new meaning to small. We ran out several times, good thing we brought our own! The A/C was also an issue. it worked sometimes, while other times I was sweating while sleeping.

We received numerous complaints from our guests that travelled near and far to be with us on our special day. The father of the bride had to change rooms at 1:00am on our wedding night because the hotel allowed a DJ to perform in the rooms next to his. Apparently there was a bachelor party booked. When I asked Miguel to see if security could have the DJ stop playing he refused, in a very unprofessional way. I asked him three times that night, each time he barely moved from his lazy postured sitting position to even acknowledge my existence. He was determined to allow the party to resume. Did I mention there was a DJ in the room? Not a loud radio, but a DJ!!

Other complaints were that housekeeping would not clean the rooms each day, but rather offer soap and shampoo as a way to "clean the room." Several guests ran out of toilet paper and when they called to the front desk they were advised that housekeeping was gone for the day.

One of the bridesmaids checked in to her hotel and literally had feces on her toilet seat along with dirty washcloths hanging right above the toilet. After practically throwing up in her mouth, her husband went to the front desk to mention this. No sincere apology, just a coupon for free breakfast at the "restaurant" on the lower level. I put restaurant in quotes because I really have no idea what it is. They supply free breakfast (bad looking oranges and sysco or Sams Club pastries with subpar coffee) in addition to other menu items. I saw a few items come out of the kitchen and there was no way I would eat that food. It looked horrible!

Upon mentioning the fact that well over half of our guests had a terrible experience, Ivy Simmons discussed these matters with the general manager, David Strickland. I had no idea they even had a GM at this place. Ivy expressed his apology to us from him. Way to send others to do your dirty work for you, sir! I never received a phone call, a visit to the door, or anything to apologize. Oh wait, he offered us dinner and drinks for two at his "restaurant." No thanks, not sure if there would be enough toilet paper in our room to handle the food from that place.

Part of me wants to steal Ivy away from that place and set her up in a good hotel that treats her as well as she treats the guests. If anyone from the Marriott or other chain is looking for a good sales manager, give her a call and help her get out of that dungeon of a place. She's way over qualified for the Roberts.

Long story short, even if your wedding is at the Rattlesnake Club or a surrounding area, PLEASE take our advice and book your hotel elsewhere. The location of this place in relation to the Rattlesnake is awesome, but if I could do it all over again, I would have chosen another place. Don't let your guests suffer like ours did.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends