“Super clean and updated”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 25 January 2008

Go to the car show almost every year. This is the best hotel
downtown by far. Was concerned that the hotel may be deteriorated because it seemed to be worn more each year.

Checked in using program points. I knew from internet there
were no premium view rooms avalible. Lady at desk acted
as my personal advocate to ensure I would like my view.
I did. You can see for 3-5 miles from the 50th floor.

New big flat screen, huge cozy bed, super clean bath, safe
deposit box in room, and nice fitness center.

All employees kind and helpful and the parking was only 12
bucks. Last week I paid 43 at the Chicago W lakeshore!

Connected to people mover, food court downstairs, shopping
in the plaza...everything except a pool.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 January 2008

We stayed here one night because it was close to the Joe Louis Arena and we really enjoyed it. The complex is huge but there are alot of staff around to help if you are lost. We found the staff to be very helpful, friendly and professional. All you have to do is ask. The people mover was a big help to be right there in the building. We had a breakfast included in our price of the room and the breakfast is great. There are alot of choices in the buffet and very courteous staff attending to the breakfast. We would definately stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2008

I stayed at the RenCen back in March-April (30-2) for Wrestlemania weekend. And I couldn’t have been more pleased. It's like a small city. There is everything you need in this hotel, with the expectation of a pool, which didn't bother us since we didn't spend that much time in the hotel. But there are clothing stores, gift shops, classy restaurants, a food court, and even a movie theater. The front desk could not have been quicker, even with all the people staying that weekend. We got our room in a jiffy with the numerous amounts of check in desk. I don't remember which floor we stayed on since it was a while back but it was pretty high up. And had a fantastic view of Detroit, and Windsor, which is just across the river. The room was your normal Marriott size, would have preferred a bigger TV, but like I said before, we didn't spend that much time in the hotel so it wasn't that big of deal. The elevator were fast and quick, no problem there. We ordered room service, two nights at around midnight, and each time they came quick, and the food was good and hot. In our room we couldn’t hear no one, even with the hotel having over 1000 people staying there that weeked. If you're going to visit Detroit, this is the place to stay. Couldn't have asked for a better place. Amazing, and every time I see this hotel in a picture or on TV, I think about the great time I had here.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank RenCen
Reviewed 2 January 2008

Just for travelers information. I booked this motel through Travelocity and had to cancel my reservation. I was, still, billed $164.72 to my credit card (even though I never stayed there!) because I was told that this is the motel's policy. A ripoff! Travelocity tells me that the only way I can be reimbursed is if the manager of the motel OK's it and they never seem to answer their phone. I even called and left a message and was never called back! What a way to do business!

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank madtravelerIndiana
Reviewed 28 December 2007

My first impression of this hotel "not user friendly". Upon arriving we used the valet service so far so good. Unfortunately once we entered the building we had no idea where to go to check in. There were no signs and nobody to help. After a couple of "wrong ways" we finally got it right and worked our way through the maze of corridors to find the check in desk. We stayed on a Saturday night and I must say this is not the place to stay on the weekend. None of the shops or restaurants were open, even the hotel bar was closed. We found the facility to be massive and a bit confusing when walking around. It feels like you are staying in an office building, which you basically are. The close proximity to the people mover is nice so you can get to other areas of the city and find something to do because the Marriott RenCen had nothing.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank eagleMI-traveler
Reviewed 4 December 2007

First - let me say this was a wonderful place to stay. The staff were all friendly and helpful, the views from our room on the 61st floor were fantastic, and it was very clean. Elevator service was exceptionally fast - we never waited more than 15 seconds. The RenCen has plenty to see and do and the PeopleMover station is just a short walk away. I would highly recommend this hotel for tourists, casino visitors, and those who just want a weekend getaway. A few caveats: 1. If you self-park (Port Atwater or Beaubien Place garages), the hotel lobby is on the opposite side of the complex so you'll have to haul luggage further than expected. 2. The hotel has a 'no cooler' policy. I can't fault the hotel for wanting to discourage rowdy room parties, but I was a bit suprised that my husband and I were not allowed our small cooler. It was politely checked for us in the hotel's luggage room. 3. As of December '07, GM World (part of the RenCen complex) is closed and undergoing construction. Although the noise is not heard at all in the hotel rooms, it is apparent while walking around the shops. 4. Although the bathrooms in the hotel rooms have just been renovated, they are still a little too small. I'm not sure why the closet is so huge and the bathroom so small.
Overall, I can report that I booked the stay with Priceline and was very happy with the result - the hotel was a pleasant surprise and an excellent value.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lagrange1999
Reviewed 6 November 2007

Our stay was great! not complaints. Our room was in tower 400 on the 51 floor and had a great room, but a small bathroom. No construction, noise or complaints. This place is huge lots to see and do, they even have a movie theater!. The food court has over 15 different small places to eat and good price. They have may upscale eateries and bar food if you want it.
We went to the Lions game and had a blast they killed Denver!!! The people mover is right in the hotel and great!! just 50 cents a ride. On Sunday it starts a 12 noon so we walked to Ford field and it only about 8 blocks, a fun walk. We took the mover back and had no problems---get off at Greektown.

Tip----Park in the Beaubien Garage it connects to the hotel (2nd floor walkway) and is only 5 dollars a day!!!!!!! they dont tell you this

# On-site parking, fee: 15 USD daily
# Valet parking, fee: 23 USD daily

Don't pay it, not worth it and the Beaubien you can leave and come back!! We checked in on Sat - 3 3pm and Checked out on Sun the 4 at 8pm for only 7 dollars!!!!! Its $ 40 dallars to park at
Ford field!