We were very impressed with the Detroit Marriott. We were unable to confirm a 2 double bed room when we booked-very busy due to a skating event and the Detroit Marathon. However an email to the hotel the week before got a quick response confirming our request. We also got a refrigerator for $25 total for the 3 nights we stayed. We drove directly up to the hotel entrance and got cheerful assistance unloading our stuff. We had the option of using valet, $25, or self-parking directly across from the hotel. $20 per night, with in-out privileges and maybe a cheaper rate if you checked with the manager. We didn't notice the sign until we were leaving. No need to drag luggage across the street as another poster indicated. Checkin was quick and easy and we were upgraded to a high floor river view room. Very clean and nice.
We had a minor problem one day, with only enough towels for 2 when there were 3 in the room. Within 15 minutes of calling the front desk, we got 2 sets of extra towels, with a purple ribbon tied around the washcloths! Another day we got only decaf coffee and missing shampoo. Front desk gave us an ample supply of both.
The peoplemover was easy to locate within the Renaissance Center, not confusing as some have indicated. It was also an easy 15-20 minute walk to the Joe Louis Arena, with Cobo Center and a park with impressive sculptures a bit closer.
Only downside was lack of casual restaurants in the immediate area. The food court in the Ren Center was easy to locate but only had a few places open, the local Greek food being the best. Subway was ok but with surly staff who got our take-out order wrong and I had to go back to get missing food items. Also a McDonalds and Starbucks open but generally hours seem to be focused on office workers, with early closings. Volt restaurant and bar in the hotel was nice but noisy and not conducive to a family group. Small portions for sharing were very good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soaring 73 floors above the Detroit River, the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is ideally located in downtown Detroit, situated on the RiverWalk and next to Hart Plaza. The hotel is within the GM Renaissance Center, which provides convenient access to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The Detroit "People Mover" public transportation system enables guests to visit top attractions that surround the hotel. Floor-to-ceiling windows and dramatic views highlight our hotel rooms, while a reinvented lobby boasts functional seating and business friendly amenities in a trendy setting. Delight in the stylishly urban ambiance of Volt, and enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Detroit Marriott At The Renaissance Hotel Detroit
- Detroit Renaissance At Center
- Marriott Detroit
- Renaissance Detroit