“Great Views Horrible Everything Else”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Denver, Colorado
“Great Views Horrible Everything Else”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Arriving late at a hotel is never easy, but this experience was beyond awful. When I arrived at 1 am there were people sitting in the lobby waiting for rooms to be cleaned. I was told it would take 30-45 minutes to get a room. Two hours later, after being forgotten about for 45 min, I got a room. Upon arrive to my room, I found an odd, loud machine in my room. I should have just unplugged it and gone to sleep. But I didn't, I called and waited an additional 20 minutes for maintenance to come retrieve their smell reduction machine. It didn't reduce the smokey smell...
Upon waking to loud banging after 4 hours of sleep, I thought it would be nice to have room service for breakfast. I didn't have a menu but I called and ordered anyway. Several minutes later, I got a call from the room service department asking for my credit card information. Luckily I had read the many warnings (in my delightful wait time in the hotel lobby) about not giving your credit card over the phone and that hotel staff would NEVER call and ask for your credit card information. I didn't give my info, but was concerned about the whole thing.
Later that day I asked at the hotel front desk about the smokey smell and the odd credit card call. They didn't care. At all. But they did have my credit card info.
The view from my room was lovely and the location was great as I was at a conference in the building. Lots of food options.
If you go be careful.

Room Tip: Higher floors are the best!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Beth G
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello Beth and thank you very much not only for visiting, but also for taking the time to post. We are aware of particular housekeeping issues which occurred due to the IUG event last week and we sincerely apologize to you for the inconvenience you experienced. Our general manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and should you please the time, we would appreciate you emailing her directly at detroitmarriott@marriott.com. We are very, very sorry for the issues at check-in and we are also distressed about the call you received. We sincerely would appreciate additional information. Once again, we thank you. And we truly apologize.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Found a dead roach in my bed. Manager handled the situation well, but still unacceptable. Internet access was costly and very slow. My room was right across from the ice maker and quite noisy. Location is good with easy access to the People Mover and Comerica Park, but I wouldn't stay here again due to cleanliness/roach infestation issues.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello Brian and thank you for posting. We appreciate you staying with us and would very much like additional information on your experience. Our executive team has searched all records for the past week and unfortunately we do not have record of any such complaint from any guest. We would love the opportunity to speak with you about this and hopefully address the situation properly. Should you have the time, please email detroitmarriott@marriott.com so that our hotel manager may contact you back. Once again, thank you for visiting and we definitely hope to hear from you soon.

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The best feature of my room was the river view, which from a high floor is very nice. The hotel is huge, the rooms are typical Marriott rooms, and the service was friendly. For a stay in Downtown Detroit, this is a good choice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Greetings Mark and thank you for the wonderful review! We're happy to hear that your visit was a success. Please note that the hotel is actually in process of a massive $30M renovation that includes all of our guest room floors. You possibly were not in a room which has been completed, however we definitely encourage you to visit again and experience the upgrade! Thanks again for visiting.
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Amazing hotel! Across the river from Windsor, beautiful views! Great staff, easy to complain about massive remodeling going on. Why? Marriott is doing the best they can to bring this first class facility to an upgraded facility. Perfect downtown location, amazing amenities inside, even a movie theater! Great restaurants and fantastic staff! Enjoy your stay, perfect location to walk to hockey or football!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Hello Bobby and thank you for the fantastic review! We love all of your positive feedback about our hotel and of course the GM Renaissance Center. You are correct about our renovations. This is a massive $30M project that includes all guest floors and our event space. The project is on track and scheduled for completion at the end of 2014. One note, you forgot baseball! We're also a short walk to Comerica Park, home of our beloved Detroit Tigers! We hope to see you again on your next visit to Detroit. Travel safely.
Connecticut
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My second stay here, and it was better than ever.
Marriott has hotels with some incredible views - I hear the Marquis in San Francisco and the Marquis in Manhattan are grand, and have personally experienced the beauty of an Annapolis waterfront balcony room and an 18th floor Niagara Falls-facing room. Even so, the RenCen in Detroit outdoes them all; if you get a room on the 40th floor or higher, you'll have the sort of view that usually is possible only when landing or taking off in a jet.
This is a hotel where the room can be part of the vacation - entirely because of the view. Glancing over from the writing desk to look at downtown from this vantage point is exhilarating. On this trip, I was happy to get back to the room after a fine meal, turn out the lights, pull the comfy chair alongside the window & just enjoy the skyline of Windsor, lights of the small boats and all the reflections on the water. Unless you work in a skyscraper (in an office with a killer view), you just won't see this anywhere else.
With that said, know that this Marriott is all about the views, the convenience and the location. It's intended as a business hotel, and is short on the usual amenities - there's a fine exercise room on the 40th floor (again, spectacular views for your workout), but no hot tub, no pool. The rooms are wedge-shaped and smallish, though the beds are wonderfully comfortable and the toiletries are a notch above standard Marriott fare.
Wifi costs about $13 a night, parking runs $25 for valet service with in/out privileges. (the service is much more efficient and fast than it was at my prior visit, and the arrangement is actually more sensible than saving a few dollars at the self-park garages nearby that have no in/out privileges).
The location is superb; the RenCen has its own PeopleMover station in one direction, and the waterfront is literally outside the door in the opposite direction. You're part of downtown, and very close to the ballpark, stadium, Cobo Hall, etc.
There's an attractive lobby with the convenient Volt restaurant on one end, and a series of dining options from fast-food to four-star. My preference was Joe Muer; excellent seafood and a table along the riverfront windows is a joy.
Excellent staff who work hard to humanize a structure that is - by design - corporate.
And that's where some people can go wrong with the RenCen. Unlike most hotels, this was designed as part of a massive vertical office complex, and the architecture and layout aren't typical for a hotel. You'll enjoy your stay far more by doing just a little historical research on the giant dark-blue cylinders that dominate the skyline - they need to be enjoyed for what they are. These buildings are a period piece ... 1970s-era futurism at its sharpest. The layout takes a while to get accustomed to, especially if you approach the hotel from a different direction. But heading to Level 3 is generally going to bring you to the lobby and the guest room elevators. Take the free tour that's offered weekdays at noon or 2 p.m. and you'll have a better understanding of the layout and the pedestrian flow patterns.

Room Tip: Upper floor. Ideally, a river view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DonInConnecticut
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hello Don! We hugely appreciate you returning and for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay. We agree with you that our views are quite extraordinary. And in adding to your comments, we wanted to note that actually there are several rooms all the way down to the 9th floor that still offer an exceptional view of the river, downtown, and beyond. Should you be interested, we actually created a board specific to the views of and from the GM Renaissance Center on our Pinterest page. Please feel free to check it out at pinterest.com/detroitmarriott. Once again, we thank you very much for visiting and for posting. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Detroit. Safe travels always.
New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at the Marriott at the Renaissance Center in January. I was there to work at the auto show. Mind you the weather was horrendous! My room was clean but always cold or sweltering! Due to the floor to ceiling windows there was always a cold draft in the room. I had the heat on 85!!!! And still was cold.There were cold and hot drafts. But the room was cozy otherwise.
The service was OK. I had called a week prior to arriving to ask to "reserve" a refrigerator for when I arrived because Id be staying for 10 days and like to have some food in my room like yogurt, fruit and such. Whomever I spoke to on the phone said that there are plenty of refrigerators and that they wouldn't run out. When I arrive and checking in, guess what they ran out of! The front desk staff weren't rude, but not exactly the best welcoming committee either. The person checking me in said that I would be on a waiting list for that fridge. But I think that "list" was just a little piece of paper to appease me and thats where that ended. I never got a follow up call. I called for 4 days continuously asking and they were never proactive to try to find one. In the mean time I knew for a fact that people were leaving and fridges became available. This discussion isn't about me crying over not having a fridge, but simply the lack of pro activeness and customer service. I ended up putting my perishables in bags between the curtain and the window….yes it was THAT cold. One day my hummus was actually frozen and ice had form on the INSIDE of the window!! crazy!
So at the end of the day, do i recommend this hotel? Sure! I find that there's much to improve. The hotel in general is desperate for a refurbishment but at least it was clean and close to the convention center. The renaissance needs a renaissance. The building itself is a little confusing, but your bare necessities are in the building…CVS, Starbucks, little food court. Just check the times they are open, because they have different times!!

Room Tip: not sure, but maybe in the winter there are warmer rooms? I was on a very high floor, so maybe lowe...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
DancingVix, thank you for staying this winter and for taking the time to write such a thorough review. The comments about our front desk and the service you received regarding your request for a fridge are concerning. Please know that we have passed these to our hotel manager and front desk team as there should have been better follow up. Also regarding the issue with decor, we offer some great news! Our property is currently in process of completing a $30M renovation of our guest room floors and event space which will be completed later this year. We hope that you will return and experience the new designs on your next visit to Detroit. Once again, we apologize for the situation regarding the fridge and we do hope to see you again soon.
London
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Perfect location if you're heading out to any sports event & close to Greek Town
Nice, clean room with comfortable beds. Surprised to see ripped bed linen and no free wifi considering the price.
Quick check in with pleasant staff. 18$ for overnight parking

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GlobeTraveller24
Hello globetraveler and thank you for visiting. We appreciate you taking the time to write. We love that you were happy with your overall stay, however we are quite dismayed to hear about the situation with your bed linens. You are correct that this is unacceptable and we have passed your comments to our general manager for review. Once again we thank you, and we definitely hope to see you again soon on your next visit.