“Very disappointed with Marriott.”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was in town for a convention. The hotel is undergoing a major renovation but I did not get a renovated room. The carpet had stains. The arm chair had stains & was worn and I felt my butt was only a couple of inches from the floor. While everything was very clean initially, the room was very dated. There was a brochure for purchasing pieces of Marriot bedding & furnishings. Funny how nothing in my room was in the brochure. Housekeeping was spotty. I was there for 6 nights - on 3 occasions the bathroom sink was never wiped out. One day housekeeping was late in getting to my room. They were next door. I was asked if I wanted the room serviced. Um, you have to ask? At the prices Marriott charges I EXPECT the room to be serviced every day. I was told the room would be ready in an hour. Thankfully, I didn't need it right then & there, although I would have appreciated an opportunity to rest up before my next meeting. When I came back to the room the door was not shut. Not fully open but not shut - and obviously so. The housekeeping people were in the next room over. I went over to tell them about it. They apologized. I would have thought, number 1, that all doors would automatically shut when you let go of the knob. This one did not. So, number 2, I would expect housekeeping to check that each and every door is fully closed and locked when they leave. We had access to the concierge level for breakfast. The view was nice (70th floor). But where was the meat? Eggs, some fruit, oatmeal, boxed cereal - but no bacon, ham or sausage. One morning, I had to ask for coffee and it took a while for it to arrive. Really Marriott? Are you that cheap? For the prices you charge for this service I certainly expected more. Now, as far as this location is concerned - only stay here if your conference is here. It's not easy getting around the Ren Center as it is. If you need to take public transportation plan on walking a bit and getting lost once or twice trying to find your way out of the building. Don't come here if you have mobility issues unless you plan on staying in your room and getting room service. Overall, staff I encountered were very pleasant and willing to help when I needed something. But when the hotel can't get basics right I can't recommend them. If you HAVE to stay here make sure you get a renovated room. And the longer you have to stay the easier it will be to get around - because it takes a while to figure it out. Oh, and make sure your conference gets the free wifi - otherwise you pay for something more budget-minded hotels give away for free. If you're not here with a conference plan on paying at least $12.95 a day for internet access. Also, parking is $20/day. Opt for the valet for an additional $5 if you'll be in and out. It will be worth it as getting to the valet is easier than getting just about anywhere else in this place.

Room Tip: Try for a room above the 40th floor for better views. Lower floors might have you looking into some...
2  Thank CovingtonCat
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Hello Covington and thank you very much for taking your time to post. Our hotel manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your issues noted in your review. Should you wish to speak with him as well, please email detroitmarriott@marriott.com with details as well as contact information. On behalf of our entire team, we apologize and we do hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hi,

Things started poorly with a long wait at check-in (there was an Elite line but it was thinly staffed with lots of people waiting). Then disappointed when I got a room with two small beds (twin?) - I normally am guaranteed a king being a Gold member. Any call to guest services usually was a 2/3 minute hold, then a transfer, which ended with a disconnection a few times. The hotel can be hard to navigate - I was put in a separate elevator bank from the lounge, so I had to go to a joint floor and switch often.

The renovation is strange - they seem to have skipped the bathrooms which are spartan. There's a metal bench in the rooms which is definitely meant for outdoors. I'm wondering who thought of putting an industrial bench that one wouldn't want to sit on in a hotel room (near the window where you'd normally find a sofa chair or couch).

Also advise others to stay away from elevators as they are loud and walls are thin.

The gym is quite big but short on weight equipment given hotel size (though plenty of cardio).

Overall rather disappointed. Just came from a Hilton Garden Inn which had better rooms/amenities and far more attentive staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Hello Andrew and thank you for visiting Detroit and for choosing to stay with us. On behalf of our entire team, we're truly sorry for any and all issues you may have encountered while visiting. Obviously is is the common goal of our entire team to offer a five star experience for all guests of the hotel, and we are truly sorry for falling short in your case. Once again, thank you, and we hope that you will in fact visit again in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Me and my Husband stayed for a overnight getaway at the Marriott Renaissance Hotel. The room was very nice and well put together. The beds were very comfortable and we slept very well. The view from the 50th floor of the Detroit River and Canada was awesome. Room service was fast and elegant and the food was DELICIOUS. We will be back! :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Renee R B

Hello LaToya and thank you not only for staying, but also for taking the time to post! We are so happy to hear that everything was a success during your visit. We agree that the views are quite outstanding! Thank you once again and we hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I stayed one night on the 27th of Aug for a concert in town. Up on arrival to our room after waiting over 30 min to check in we found soiled sheets with a oder. Phoned down to housekeeping and they said they would send someone up right away. We waited over a half hour and still know one. Had to leave for concert. When we arrived back later the sheets were changed but the whole experience and the hotel staffs attitude really turned us off. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna W

Hello Donna and thank you for taking the time to post about your recent visit. We definitely appreciate you staying with us and should you have the time and wish to speak with someone, you may reach our hotel manager directly by emailing detroitmarriott@marriott.com. On behalf of our entire team, we apologize for any and all issues and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this Marriott overnight while in town for a concert at Comerica Park. We had a King Bed room on the 21st floor facing the river. The room was nice, clean, the bed was comfortable, there was plenty of room to maneuver around the room without tripping over luggage and coolers. The staff was helpful and courteous. All of our requests were met such as low floor (21st out of 70+ was nice), early check in, late check out, and extra pillows. Plenty of dining options in the actual hotel and in the food court of the Renaissance Cener had more options. Having the Detroit People Mover station in the hotel made it very easy for us to get around downtown detroit without driving our own car, especially over to the stadium. Our only complaint (which is small) would be the massive size of the Renaissance Center, it is very easy to get lost if you are not paying attention. But for the price ($200 cheaper per night compared to Greektown or MGM), location, staff and the nice rooms, we will definitely stay again and would recommend anyone to stay there when visiting the motor city. Nice job Marriott Management & Staff!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank parrothead_1983

Hello and thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review of our hotel. We appreciate you staying and thank you for the wonderful four stars! Please know that we have passed all feedback to our hotel manager for his review. We hope you enjoyed the concert and your time here in the Motor City!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for a business trip, I read several reviews that made me concern so I was apprehensive. But it was extremely enjoyable. The reception desk was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and modern. My room on the 48th floor had a great water view and Canada. The security measures that the hotel uses made me feel safe traveling alone. The restaurants were a Excellent, I particularly enjoyed Joe Muer seafood. The manager (Leah) was accommodating to our large party allowing us separate checks despite are party of 13, and service and food was fantastic! I got the trout, which I highly recommend. The other highlight was the fitness center hosted by Arlissa. She is angel! She loves what she does, loves people and I genuinely felt she cared about my well being.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor. Take your work out clothes.
2  Thank Marcy E
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hello Marcy and thank you so much for taking the time to post! We very much appreciate your five stars! It's wonderful to hear that everything was to your liking and we also thank you for mentioning Arlissa by name. Thanks once again and we hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We live just outside of Detroit so anytime we are in town for a big even like a work party, I we can get a sitter, this is where we like to stay! It's in a GREAT area! The river walk is just outside the door. Andiamo, the restaurant is just down stairs. The Volt bar is low key but the food looks pretty tasty! AND there is a Starbucks in the middle!!! Although it was tricky for me to find the first time. Also, there is a CVS inside that took me about 20 unnecessary minutes to navigate to. Maybe there is a map in the rooms? If not that would be a swell idea! The rooms are clean and beautiful and we have always had a GREAT view of the river!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ThreeLongAmigos

Greetings and thank you so much for always choosing us as your go-to spot in downtown! We appreciate you taking the time to post and we definitely look forward to seeing you again soon.