I was in town for a convention. The hotel is undergoing a major renovation but I did not get a renovated room. The carpet had stains. The arm chair had stains & was worn and I felt my butt was only a couple of inches from the floor. While everything was very clean initially, the room was very dated. There was a brochure for purchasing pieces of Marriot bedding & furnishings. Funny how nothing in my room was in the brochure. Housekeeping was spotty. I was there for 6 nights - on 3 occasions the bathroom sink was never wiped out. One day housekeeping was late in getting to my room. They were next door. I was asked if I wanted the room serviced. Um, you have to ask? At the prices Marriott charges I EXPECT the room to be serviced every day. I was told the room would be ready in an hour. Thankfully, I didn't need it right then & there, although I would have appreciated an opportunity to rest up before my next meeting. When I came back to the room the door was not shut. Not fully open but not shut - and obviously so. The housekeeping people were in the next room over. I went over to tell them about it. They apologized. I would have thought, number 1, that all doors would automatically shut when you let go of the knob. This one did not. So, number 2, I would expect housekeeping to check that each and every door is fully closed and locked when they leave. We had access to the concierge level for breakfast. The view was nice (70th floor). But where was the meat? Eggs, some fruit, oatmeal, boxed cereal - but no bacon, ham or sausage. One morning, I had to ask for coffee and it took a while for it to arrive. Really Marriott? Are you that cheap? For the prices you charge for this service I certainly expected more. Now, as far as this location is concerned - only stay here if your conference is here. It's not easy getting around the Ren Center as it is. If you need to take public transportation plan on walking a bit and getting lost once or twice trying to find your way out of the building. Don't come here if you have mobility issues unless you plan on staying in your room and getting room service. Overall, staff I encountered were very pleasant and willing to help when I needed something. But when the hotel can't get basics right I can't recommend them. If you HAVE to stay here make sure you get a renovated room. And the longer you have to stay the easier it will be to get around - because it takes a while to figure it out. Oh, and make sure your conference gets the free wifi - otherwise you pay for something more budget-minded hotels give away for free. If you're not here with a conference plan on paying at least $12.95 a day for internet access. Also, parking is $20/day. Opt for the valet for an additional $5 if you'll be in and out. It will be worth it as getting to the valet is easier than getting just about anywhere else in this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soaring 73 floors above the Detroit River, Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is ideally situated on the RiverWalk and next to Hart Plaza. Our hotel in downtown Detroit, Michigan sits within the GM Renaissance Center, which provides convenient access to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The Detroit "People Mover" public transportation system enables guests to visit top attractions that surround the hotel. Floor-to-ceiling windows and dramatic views highlight our hotel rooms, while a reinvented lobby boasts functional seating and business friendly amenities in a trendy setting. Delight in the stylishly urban ambiance of Volt, and enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Detroit Marriott At The Renaissance Hotel Detroit
- Detroit Renaissance At Center
- Marriott Detroit
- Renaissance Detroit