“Not 5 five star hotel”

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Maple Heights, Ohio
“Not 5 five star hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a family reunion. Hotel was nice but for the money u pay it could have been nicer. parking was very expensive. 20.00 a day and no in/out privileges really. Valet was 25.00 a day. So I pay to park and then have to give doorman a tip to bring my luggage to my room. Did not like the fact that I could not handle my own luggage with all the theft out here. Food court closed early you would think they would stay open later on weekends due to large crowds for events. My son is a gamer and was unable to connect game to TV. engineer came and said he need some type of connector which was not true he does not have this so called connector at home. pillows were horrible and bed was small. called for clean towels and it was three of us and he brings two wash cloths and two towels. we never have our room cleaned cause of theft but never saw housekeeping the two nights I was there and we were awake early each day. we did not even have a clock in our room. front desk staff were nice and polite. no pool. I can go on and on but if it was not for family reunion I would have stayed else where. Expected more for appearance of hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hello Rayshawn and thank you so much for taking the time to post. On behalf of our entire team here in Detroit, we're sincerely sorry for any and all disappointments while visiting. Please know that we have passed all comments to our hotel manager for her review. We hope that you enjoyed your reunion and we hope to see you again on your next visit. Thank you again for all your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Mi
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights and had up and down experience. The 'up' : uniformly friendly staff, great views, plenty of elevators ( can only be appreciated after staying in a huge hotel with few elevators), the scannable valet tickets.
The 'down': rooms are worn, mattress had that sleep in a taco shell feeling, restroom fan didn't work at all, housekeeping didn't see it necessary to make up roll away bed- but took the $5 tip we left...towels threadbare, concierge lounge was in a temp location due to renovations - Ok- but food selection was below typical Marriott standards.
Signs for renovations are all over the place....shoulda happened 5 years ago

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello Axel and thank you not only for staying with us, but for taking the time to post your review. We definitely apologize for your disappointments, particular the housekeeping issues you noted. We recognize that it's time for an update and thus our $30M renovation. We hope that you will in fact visit again post renovation and experience our new design. Once again, we do apologize and hope to see you again soon.
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Thanks You for hosting the Jehovah's Witnesses International Convention well over 30,000 in attentance. I was impressed with how well the hotel handled the needs of so many. I felt like I was the only guest when I had questions, called for towels and a sewing kit when the buttons fell off my blouse. The food court located at ground level offered a variety of foods and there were also 5* restaurants available. CVS located on level 2 came to my rescue with a variety of snacks and toiletries and a much needed Energy Drink. Valet went above and beyond we were always greeted with smiles by all staff, doormen bellman cleaning staff (Top notch) all needs met, room on 59th floor with floor to ceiling windows & breath taking views, beds were beyond comfortable. Thanks does not seem to express how truly impressed I was/am with this property!

• Stayed July 2014
Hello and thank you for visiting! We're happy to hear everything was to your liking and we also hope that your entire conference was a huge success. Thanks again and safe travels!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I haven't stayed here for a few years so I was eager to try it while in Detroit -- not least because its location makes exploring the world-class riverfront perfect on a nice summer day.

Unfortunately, this Marriott failed to live up to the expectations of the brand and my experiences as an elite-level guest who has stayed over 200 nights in a hotel in the past year and a half.

A few positives: As I said, the location is superb. It's a little further away from the growing entertainment district where the sports stadiums are located, but otherwise it's perfect for those doing business downtown or just looking for a place to stay while on a visit to Detroit. The Renaissance Center is also convenient because there are a handful of shops, a couple of restaurants and a fast-food food court. Be warned, however, that most of the Renaissance Center shops and restaurants are closed or have extremely limited hours on the weekend. By the way, this makes no sense whatsoever, especially when there's a huge convention staying at the hotel. You would think Starbucks would stay open on the weekend for all the convention attendees to say nothing of the thousands of others coming in from the riverfront looking for someplace quick to get coffee or eat. As for hotel amenities, this is a fairly standard Marriott.

As for what I didn't like:
-- I also understand substantial renovations are underway to the hotel. I didn't really notice anything except for the concierge lounge, which is closed and temporarily relocated to a large (and quite ugly!) suite on the 70th floor. The temporary concierge lounge, while spacious, is one of the worst I have ever used. The beverage choices are the standard, but the food was very limited, especially for breakfast. I also found the attendants to be unattentive, unwelcoming and otherwise indifferent. I actually had to call down to the front desk for the concierge lounge to be cleaned during breakfast service. Also, as this is a convention hotel, expect people to raid the concierge lounge and bring out food and drinks to other guests. I saw multiple guests bring out multiple cans of pop, plates full of food and multiple containers of yogurt. None of this was restocked, either.
-- The parking is valet, unless you want self-parking with no in/out privileges.
-- The health club on the 40th floor is fairly big, but it's missing a pool and sauna. I stayed here a few years ago and I remember a sauna. I'm not sure what happened to it.
-- The rooms are standard Marriott decor, although this is changing because of the renovations. I was given an old-style room with a king bed on a low floor -- and only after I complained because my reservation was guaranteed to be a king bed but they tried giving me a double when I checked in.
-- Service is below standard. While there was a bellman, I literally only saw one bellman when I arrived. He was way too overworked. I had to wait in the elite line several minutes upon arrival because front desk clerks were chatting amongst themselves rather than helping guests.

Unless you have to stay here, I wouldn't.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank planetraincar
Hello and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Detroit. On behalf of our entire team, we're truly sorry for any and all issues you may have experienced while visiting. We do hope that you'll choose to return after our current renovation. We're confident you'll enjoy our new design. Thank you once again.
Keyser
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Were in town for an automotive trade show. Hotel was on the list associated with the conference. Wouldn't guarantee king bed. Upon check in and asking for a king was told there were none available. The beds looked like twin beds. My husband & I couldn't even sleep in the same bed they were so small! The staff were polite and we didn't experience any problems. The room was nice & clean. The Ren Center is large and confusing. Disappointed in the stores and restaurants there. Most were closed. The only place to eat in the hotel is Volt. In the evenings it was the only place open. Volt is a noisy bar; not a place to have coffee & dessert.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hello Kim and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Detroit. We're very sorry to hear that you were dispapointed with your stay. Please know that while we work diligently to offer guests their requested room types, unfortunately we can never make those guarantees. We definitely do not offer twin beds in any of our guest rooms, however we do apologize that you were not able to get a king. We've passed all of your feedback to our general manager for her review. Once again, we do thank you and we hope that you will in fact stay with us again.
Covington, KY
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was in town for a convention. The hotel is undergoing a major renovation but I did not get a renovated room. The carpet had stains. The arm chair had stains & was worn and I felt my butt was only a couple of inches from the floor. While everything was very clean initially, the room was very dated. There was a brochure for purchasing pieces of Marriot bedding & furnishings. Funny how nothing in my room was in the brochure. Housekeeping was spotty. I was there for 6 nights - on 3 occasions the bathroom sink was never wiped out. One day housekeeping was late in getting to my room. They were next door. I was asked if I wanted the room serviced. Um, you have to ask? At the prices Marriott charges I EXPECT the room to be serviced every day. I was told the room would be ready in an hour. Thankfully, I didn't need it right then & there, although I would have appreciated an opportunity to rest up before my next meeting. When I came back to the room the door was not shut. Not fully open but not shut - and obviously so. The housekeeping people were in the next room over. I went over to tell them about it. They apologized. I would have thought, number 1, that all doors would automatically shut when you let go of the knob. This one did not. So, number 2, I would expect housekeeping to check that each and every door is fully closed and locked when they leave. We had access to the concierge level for breakfast. The view was nice (70th floor). But where was the meat? Eggs, some fruit, oatmeal, boxed cereal - but no bacon, ham or sausage. One morning, I had to ask for coffee and it took a while for it to arrive. Really Marriott? Are you that cheap? For the prices you charge for this service I certainly expected more. Now, as far as this location is concerned - only stay here if your conference is here. It's not easy getting around the Ren Center as it is. If you need to take public transportation plan on walking a bit and getting lost once or twice trying to find your way out of the building. Don't come here if you have mobility issues unless you plan on staying in your room and getting room service. Overall, staff I encountered were very pleasant and willing to help when I needed something. But when the hotel can't get basics right I can't recommend them. If you HAVE to stay here make sure you get a renovated room. And the longer you have to stay the easier it will be to get around - because it takes a while to figure it out. Oh, and make sure your conference gets the free wifi - otherwise you pay for something more budget-minded hotels give away for free. If you're not here with a conference plan on paying at least $12.95 a day for internet access. Also, parking is $20/day. Opt for the valet for an additional $5 if you'll be in and out. It will be worth it as getting to the valet is easier than getting just about anywhere else in this place.

Room Tip: Try for a room above the 40th floor for better views. Lower floors might have you looking into some...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CovingtonCat
Hello Covington and thank you very much for taking your time to post. Our hotel manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your issues noted in your review. Should you wish to speak with him as well, please email detroitmarriott@marriott.com with details as well as contact information. On behalf of our entire team, we apologize and we do hope to hear from you.

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

NYC
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hi,

Things started poorly with a long wait at check-in (there was an Elite line but it was thinly staffed with lots of people waiting). Then disappointed when I got a room with two small beds (twin?) - I normally am guaranteed a king being a Gold member. Any call to guest services usually was a 2/3 minute hold, then a transfer, which ended with a disconnection a few times. The hotel can be hard to navigate - I was put in a separate elevator bank from the lounge, so I had to go to a joint floor and switch often.

The renovation is strange - they seem to have skipped the bathrooms which are spartan. There's a metal bench in the rooms which is definitely meant for outdoors. I'm wondering who thought of putting an industrial bench that one wouldn't want to sit on in a hotel room (near the window where you'd normally find a sofa chair or couch).

Also advise others to stay away from elevators as they are loud and walls are thin.

The gym is quite big but short on weight equipment given hotel size (though plenty of cardio).

Overall rather disappointed. Just came from a Hilton Garden Inn which had better rooms/amenities and far more attentive staff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hello Andrew and thank you for visiting Detroit and for choosing to stay with us. On behalf of our entire team, we're truly sorry for any and all issues you may have encountered while visiting. Obviously is is the common goal of our entire team to offer a five star experience for all guests of the hotel, and we are truly sorry for falling short in your case. Once again, thank you, and we hope that you will in fact visit again in the future.