“Friendly and great food”
Review of Le Petit Zinc

Le Petit Zinc
Ranked #3 of 18 Dessert in Detroit
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly and great food”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I brought a group of 19 friends to the restaurant last weekend who had never been to Detroit. (I called ahead to book.) The place was charming, the staff were warm and friendly and the food was fantastic. Its difficult to manage a group of that size in a small restaurant but they bent over backwards for us and maintained their charming sense of humour throughout the process as we debated table arrangements and were generally challenging guests. A+ Most people in my group identified it as one of the highlights of a fantastic weekend in Detroit. Loved it - can't wait to come back.

• Visited September 2013

Kentucky
“Good food but bad service”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my second visit to Le Petite Zinc. The first time was less crowded and we got much better service. This time we were greeted with a "we've got a party of 20" (The place does not have enough tables/chairs for 20) and were asked to sit outside. I think eating outside is fine when you are 5 and it's a picnic, so we declined and were offered a place at the bar. Even though we were less than 3 feet from the bar person, we had to wait 10 minutes to order drinks. Before our food came, more people came in and we were actually moved from our seats to accommodate the new party, which apparently only stayed for coffee. There's nothing more unsettling than to be into a meal and having someone tell you to squeeze down and make room for strangers. The waiter/host had the nerve to say "it's good to be flexible" as the new guest at the bar was shoving my friend's purse over to her new seat. This new location put us at the curve of the bar and we had no room for all the plates and drinks. Not to mention this was a very loud place to be. We had to deal with the noise from the kitchen and the wait staff slamming into the backs of our chairs as they busied themselves with the upcoming party of 20.

There was a manager type who stood around the bar, further crowding the space yet doing nothing to help the staff. I would really suggest that management limit parties to fewer guests. And to make sure your staff can handle that number of guests. Due to the slamming of silver wear and bottles of water, I'd say they weren't very happy about it either.

The food was good. My friend felt her crepe was cold but didn't want to send it back. I'm not sure if my sandwich was supposed to be cold or hot but it was good. I will say this place has the best crepes of any place I've ever had, outside of Paris. Their tomato basil soup is to die for.

I'm a big fan of the place so I hope that they rethink their service policy. I don't go out to eat to have people shove me around and lecture me about my flexibility. And the noise was so loud and chaotic that my friend felt sick after the meal because her food was in a solid blob in her stomach.

The food is top notch. But you might want to call and see if they are crowded before you go. We should have left when they put us at that bar but we didn't. I would suggest this as a great location to go when you are with someone you don't want to talk to. It was so loud conversation was impossible.

• Visited September 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Crepes and Cafe, and an outdoor garden”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Wonderful cafe, on the edge of downtown. Right off Trumbull, in the Corktown area. The crepes are freshly made, and always delicious. Try the Nutella or Chocolate/Banana crepe. Coffees of all kinds: latte, espresso, Americano. One can sit inside the energetic dining room, full of professionals, creatives, artists---all having good conversation and good food. Enjoy reading the paper over that second or third cup of coffee. Then there's the beautiful outdoor garden---perfect place on a summer's day. With a bubbling fountain to complete the mood. Service is attentive and friendly. Great for breakfast or lunch. In addition to the crepes, I have had good salads and soups there, as well as generous fruit dishes for breakfast. Really appreciate this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank applegirl57
Beverly Hills, Mi
“très bon”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Have been wanting to try this spot since it opened. It is a great gem in Detroit! Good food good service. Cute little restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. I had the crepe special of the day, French sausage, feta, spinach and olives. It was wonderful and served with a side salad. Very filling. And the Citron Sucre/lemon sugar crape was also wonderful.

• Visited July 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“Found Buy Accident... Delightful”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Out of the way, but Great tasting food - not your standard fair.

Ratatouille and Crepes are couple of dishes on their menu.
There is indoor and outdoor seating. Everything is fresh and is well presented

Definitely worth taking the time to find.
Monday - Sat 10 am to 4