“Exceptional Service!”

The Inn on Ferry Street
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here to go to a Detroit Tigers game. We stayed in room 2205, room and bathroom were very spacious, we also had a balcony, great room. We stayed here because they offer a free shuttle back and forth to the game. When we were ready to go the the shuttle was running late with a large group, if we had to wait we would have missed the start of the game, however, the manager was also going to the game so she offered to take us in her personal vehicle. We made the game in time. Breakfast was great, however, the dining area was crowded and full. Overall, we had a great stay, plan on staying in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Inn on Ferry Street

Reviewed 15 June 2014

LOCATION: On a beautiful street in Detroit's Cultural District. The Inn is comprised of four historic Victorian homes and two carriage houses built in the late 1800's. Each house has it's own name. Across the street from the Inn are the historic Hecker-Smiley and Charles Lang Freer mansions.

ARRIVAL: Check-in is at The Scott House. If you're driving, as I was, there's complimentary parking behind the houses. Check-in was a breeze and friendly. I liked the idea of sitting down while checking in. The Scott House is also where the complimentary breakfast is served. After getting my key card, I headed to my room.

ROOM: My room was located on the first floor of The Owen House and was quite large. The decor throughout the Inn perfectly compliments the period in which the houses were built. My room had a desk and a nice lounge chair, perfect for watching TV or reading. There was plenty of space to store my personal belongings. With the exception of a mini-bar, the rooms are equipped with everything you could need, including a small coffee maker and iron. The bed was very comfortable and the room quiet at night. My windows looked out the back of the house and it was nice during the day to be able to open the floor to ceiling shades. The front part of the house had a large sitting area much like a living room.

BREAKFAST: Breakfast is offered in a comfortable setting in The Scott House. The Inn puts out quite a spread that includes coffee, orange juice, yogurt, cereal, an assortment of fruits and pastries, scrambled eggs and batter for making waffles. There was plenty to eat and it was all good.

SHUTTLE: The Inn offers a free shuttle service that can get you to most parts of the city, you'd want to go. It's perfect if you don't have a car. I had a car, but still used the shuttle to get to the ball game and to go downtown. All the drivers were friendly and knew the area well.

STAFF: Everyone on the staff I encountered was friendly and helpful.

CONCLUSION: The Inn On Ferry Street is like a cross between a hotel and a B&B. The best of both world's. They offer great value for the money and it's the best place to stay if you want to be in the heart of Detroit's Cultural District. Highly Recommended!

TIP 1: The Inn's location makes it ideal for easily walking to the following cultural attractions: The Detroit Institute of Arts, The Detroit Historical Museum, The Detroit Science Center, Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, The Josephine Ford Sculpture Garden, The Main Branch of the Detroit Public Library, Wayne State University, Hillberry Theater and the Collage of Creative Studies. (See my Review of Detroit's Cultural District)

TIP 2: Don't miss a chance to visit the historic Model T Complex which is a short distance from the Inn on Piquette Street. It's filled with great old cars and history.

Room Tip: Since many of the rooms would require climbing stairs, you may want to note this if it's a probl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank StockholmKindaGuy
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed there for business for three nights. Room was spacious and comfortable. The only little negative is that my first floor room had three big windows looking directly into the parking lot. The blinds opened from the floor up, so there was no way to have any privacy at all if I wanted sunlight. Other than that, it was great. Staff very attentive.

Location is excellent and easy walking distance to all museums, science center, and Wayne State.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I traveled to Detroit for the annual electronic music festival, and since all the popular hotels in the vicinity were booked, we ended up (happily) at the Inn on Ferry street. It is across the street from what looked to be a college campus.
This lovely little bed and breakfast is comprised of three or four large historical homes, all decorated to reflect and preserve the timelessness of their original era.
We arrived early evening on a Friday and were checked in and given keys by a very pleasant concierge. Our room was at the top floor of the grey, stone building and was cozy but spacious. The plush king sized bed was my favorite.
Our two night stay was perfected by the fact that they offered a free shuttle within a five mile radius, which was very convenient since we were partying all weekend.
I'd love to return to this cozy and romantic B&B as soon as possible!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Inn is unique. Several houses situated in a historic neighborhood off Woodward Avenue, near Wayne State University, the Detroit Institute of Arts, Museum of African American History, Detroit Historical Museum, New Detroit Science Center – all within walking distance and convenient to I-75 and other major highways.

I stayed in the John R Carriage House. The first thing that stood out to me upon entering the house and then my room was the terrible condition of the carpeting - worn and very dirty. This made me feel like everything else was dirty, too, whether or not it was. I was disappointed that my room didn't look like any of the photos I'd seen on the website.

Parking was convenient and secure. The breakfast was a nice extended continental. On Thursday morning, they had take-away bags with a piece of fruit, juice, and a breakfast bar - very nice!

Echoing another reviewer - these are historic homes with stairs; be sure to ask for help with your bags if you have a few and if you’re not in a first-floor room. Small bathrooms with limited (or no) counter space. Nice soaps, soft towels and bedding. Great in-room coffee and tea, and a cookie in your room the first night.

They have FOX Sports Detroit so I could watch the Tigers! For a die-hard Tigers Baseball fan, this is a must!

Front line service staff was very friendly. None of the maintenance and housekeeping staff I encountered, however, acknowledged me or greeted me with a hello, how are you? How is everything with your stay?

I would return to the Inn with my spouse for leisure travel, but I missed the traditional “hotel” feel for business travel. The atmosphere is that of being in a residential apartment area and I did like that – made me want to buy a house in the neighborhood!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We come here for treat once a year to get out of Ann Arbor for a while. It's close to museums and restaurants, and we love the historic feel of the place. We've stayed in three different rooms and they're all great. The breakfasts are super, too. This comes highly recommended by us. Can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a suite, which will give you a seating area as well as a bedroom area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Inn on Ferry Street after attending a Tiger's game on a very hot day. We arrived at our room on the third floor only to find the air conditioning was not working. We called the front desk and were told someone would come take a look at it, but it would be a short wait, as there were only TWO people on staff. Two. Forty "magnificent rooms". Sold out due to the Movement Festival. Two people on staff. After a brief wait, our shuttle driver that brought us to the inn from the Tigers game came to our room, looked at the thermostat, fiddled with it and said he would be "right back". Now, we had plans with friends and still needed to shower, but we couldn't because we thought he would be "right back". 45 minutes later, we called the front desk and were told they were looking for another room for us. It would have been nice if this information had come earlier, so we could have gotten ready while waiting. About five minutes later, we were told there was a new room for us and we should come down and get the key. My husband asked if someone could bring us the key and help us with our bags
( which they should have done anyway! ). So, the shuttle driver brought us a new room key and helped with our bags. Our new room was lovely. It is unfortunate we missed our plans with our friends because of an absence of an appropriate number of staff on duty and lack of communication. We addressed this upon check out and an apology was offered along with a $20.00 reduction in our room rate, which was appreciated. Pros: The shuttle service is awesome; Our (2nd) room was really beautiful with a HUGE bathroom; The grounds are very pretty; Breakfast was good and filling. Cons: As mentioned above, the staff failed to provide personalized service you generally receive at an "inn". They seemed to lack a sense of urgency to assist us with our issue. I feel like the Inn on Ferry Street is trapped between being a bed and breakfast and being a large hotel. Unfortunately, it lacked the personalized service generally offered at a bed and breakfast AND the attentive staff offered at a larger hotel. Would I go back? Maybe, but only if the rates were a little lower.

Room Tip: I would avoid the third floor. After a few drinks, those stairs were not fun!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple