“Close to the big stadiums, but not too close.”

Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Close to the big stadiums, but not too close.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

This location is just a few blocks south of Comerica Park and Ford Field. Easy walking distance on a good weather day. There is a bar, Big City Bar and Grill, located at the bottom of the hotel which is very convenient. There is essentially valet only parking, which may be a little inconvenient for some people. Staff at the hotel are very very friendly and helpful, and the rooms are generally nice. Cleanliness was good however, like most hotels, the carpet / floor was dusty around the edges and corners. Overall a good place to stay in the spring, summer and fall months, again, if you are going to a sporting event. Be aware that they are very busy on those sporting weekends. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2013
Rachel M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting Downtown Detroit. We value every guest that walks into our home in Detroit. We appreciate all the great feedback for potential guests. We do know how busy we get on our Detroit sports weekends, and we are starting a lobby renovation to expand our check in and breakfast areas. We can't wait till your next visit to see the changes, anticipated completion is 12/31/13.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I was in town for business for two days and stayed here to save the customer some money. Positives: free wifi, plentiful breakfast, very friendly staff, 100+ channels on TV including MLB & NFL network, walking distance to Greektown restaurants, and free shuttle if you don't want to walk, and the best fitness room I've ever seen at a non-resort hotel. Negatives: pillows, desk chair not terribly comfortable, wifi not strong enough to do video conferencing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JPC3481
Rachel M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for staying with us while doing business downtown Detroit. We know internet is very important for our guests. I apologize that the speed made your work difficult. Please be aware we are installing more access points at the far ends of each hallway to get a stronger signal to all of our rooms. We can't wait for you to return and experience the change.
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

We checked in at 10:30pm after a Tigers game and had a grey experience. The valet was helpful and the front desk staff was very nice. Room was clean, shower pressure was very good. Sheets could stand to be updated but thy were clean. Standard free breakfast- nothing special but clean breakfast area and good quantities. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for letting potential guests know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be getting a lot of new supplies in during our renovation, so please come back when in town to cheer on the TIgers. We can't wait for you to experience sleep on our new sheets.
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I spent the night. Here and it was verry nice it was worth the money.I thought it was a little racie as far as the price but all in all it was worth it..So when on a business trip give this a try..And also enjoy this great city
. Alli can day is enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express. Whether you are downtown for business or leisure activities, we want you to enjoy yourself like you are at home. Welcome to our family and we look forward to many returns.
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Well located hotel (despite of not being on the Jefferson road – river front), good service quality, but the hotel conditions are not that good.
Even though being an old construction, considering the price paid, I was expecting a hotel on better conditions, especially considering the hotel rate in comparison with other American hotel chains. I already had the opportunity to stay in Auburn Hills, at lower rate and on an outstanding hotel.
Other comments: very friendly and good service staff – fair fitness center – not nice and enjoyable breakfast experience (I would say, hostel quality)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HEBERSON
Thank you for reviewing your stay on Tripadvisor. I do apologize that your stay was not up to par. Please note that we are currently scheduled to go through a complete renovation. So, we hope to invite you back in the future to enjoy our great staff and new surroundings.

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Worst stay ever the rooms were so dirty there were bugs on the bed! The location was scary we saw people walking around with guns!!!! The staff was okay I guess we never really saw anyone so I guess what I'm saying is I'm never returning

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Hope885,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with our level of cleanliness and for the inconvenience this has caused you. We regret that we have failed to exceed or at least meet your expectations.

We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2013

First, I had a reservation and it was written for the wrong date (a week before) and the night I was there was booked. I asked the manager who was there playing on his phone if there was anything he could do to help us as we didn't know the area. He ignored us and the other staff just told us sorry. I tried to address him to ask where there were other hotels nearby and he then looked up and said they were far away and went back to his phone. I told him most hotels at least help to find a nearby holiday and call, and if he could help with that. He looked directly at me and said, "what do you want me to do, build you a room!" I have never in all my travels been treated this way at a hotel. I asked for a manager and he said " I am it" with a smile. Didn't offer to help in any way and went back to his cell phone. Unbelievable. A whole lobby saw this and was outraged. When contacting the hotel after, never received any apology or follow up. Would NEVER stay here again!!!!!!! I noticed that after I filed a complaint, the hotel ended up charging my credit card for the night I never stayed - Holiday Inn group will not give it back. Very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
marwan h, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for letting us know what occurred during your interactions with the previous manager. We are now under new ownership and management. We do apologize for the way that individual reacted to your situation. We hope that our current management will be able to exceed your expectations.