“Would Not Stay Here Again on a Game Weekend”

Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 24 November 2013

First thing is first: the valet is a nightmare. They are understaffed, they are slow and the valet captain (whoever the lady is that stands inside and hands out keys) is rude to people. The area outside of the hotel where they have the cars waiting to be valeted is a very small area (granted, this is Downtown Detroit, but still, it can fit maybe four cars).

Then, the lobby, which is extremely small for a hotel that is expected to sell 65% or more every night (since there are 13 floors that have rooms on them, and there are 30 rooms on each of these floors, you would expect about 200 people in this hotel on a nightly/daily basis). Yes, they have a fireplace and are updating it, but when it's game day (for whichever team you're there for), this is ridiculous. The lobby is constantly full of people checking in or moving around, causing a lot of uncomfortable situations because everyone is standing on top of one another!

The staff behind the front desk are actually incredibly rude, as well. They are condescending when they speak to you, talk about you to each other when you're still within earshot, etc. While I was checking in, I overheard the other desk agent say to a woman that her last name (Kehoe) would be "very difficult to live with"; it was extremely unnecessary and rude of her to say to this guest.

When you get up to the room, everything is nice. The heater works great for the winter (don't know about the A/C though), the beds are comfortable, everything is beautifully decorated and the fixtures all work. The bathroom does need a fan in it for when showering, but other than that, everything was fine. My bathtub walls were still dirty, but when I tried to call down, it rang for four minutes before I finally hung up, cleaned it myself and showered. I also had to call down for extra towels, as there were three women in this room, and after it rang for probably a good 10 minutes, the desk agent finally picked up and assured me that towels would be up shortly. It took over an hour for the extra towels and shampoo to come up, and when they did, the housekeeper threw them into my arms and stalked off. Very rude. But, the shower was nice, got warm REALLY fast and the water pressure was fantastic.

If you want breakfast, go down early, especially on Sundays. There will be a line, and it will reach into the small lobby, so good luck if you're trying to check out. The breakfast area is small for having a huge hotel; my cousin and I stood around a trash can, eating our breakfast, waiting for a table to open up.

The valet to leave on game days is also slightly ridiculous. A couple standing next to me waited 25 minutes for their car, and I had to wait 35. They say call down 15 minutes ahead of time, but really, you should either not valet, or call down 45 minutes ahead of time.

This experience was so-so, but it is based on there being a Detroit Red Wings hockey game Saturday night and a Detroit Lions football game Sunday afternoon. Other times, I'm sure it's nice, but game weekends, it's horrible.

Room Tip: Rooms that are higher up experience less noise than ones closer to the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Tikitorch,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. As you have pointed out, we have a number of changes that are being made and appreciate the specific feedback about how we are improving. Please accept my sincere apologies about your service experiences at the hotel, it certainly doesn't reflect the service typical of our team, we will use your feedback as a training opportunity and continue to monitor the service we are providing. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly, valet parking and breakfast were both included in the price. Clean and comfortable room, bed was great. Was within walking distance of the Hard Rock Cafe, which was great. Would stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Jacqueline,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the rate package and location of the hotel convenient for your visit. Thank you for your kind words about our service team. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I booked our room in April for Nov 8th and 9th because it seemed to have good amenities and location. Well we got here and realized after checking in that everything was under construction. No pool, no vending machines, no laundry, and the location was very sketchy, we even had a homeless woman beg for money while we were waiting for the elevator! The drain in our tub was broken and kept clogging while we showered and the shower curtain was just cloth so the whole bathroom was flooded after just one shower. The breakfast was decent but the biscuits and sausages gravy tasted funny and later we were very sick! The next day it wasn't on the bar anymore, because I assume others got sick as well. Valet parking was included in the rate and if was nice not to try and park somewhere because there is no free parking around. The valet did leave a couple scratches on our car though which is unacceptable. I will not stay here again! Save your $125 a night and go somewhere else for a few extra dollars.

• Stayed: November 2013

Panekch,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept my apologies for your experiences. As you have pointed out, we do have some changes going on within the hotel to improve the guest experience; I apologize for the inconvenience this caused for you. I would like an opportunity to follow up on your concerns, so please reach out to me directly. I do hope that we have a chance to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

75 minutes and counting to retrieve my car... What bad service. Dog feces on the floor of my room, wow. Not impressed AT ALL, no reason to ever come back. Close to many attractions but with a 5 hour drive ahead of me waiting .. Going on 90 minutes now for my car is unacceptable

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tom f

Tom,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Please know that we have addressed the cleanliness items you mentioned. We recently began working with a new valet company and will discuss your experience with them to ensure it does not happen again. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I've stayed here twice. There were no problems the first time and only one the second. All night long on my second stay I heard ocassional banging noises that I thought were doors closing hard. But there were so few guests in the hotel that it could not have been them. It could only have been the pipes that made a bit of noise when I showered in the morning.

The room was fine. It was big enough, the bed was comfortable, there were enough pillows, and I appreciate a room with a refrigerator. There were also enough HD TV channels to satisy me. Why can't more chains just do a basic room like this?

The hot breakfast was more than adequate.

I do want to say a bit about the service - it was top-notch. Every staffer (both stays) I encountered wanted to go out of his/her way to be helpful. From check-in clerk to breakfast room attendant they all wanted to know what I needed. I was especially impressed when the shuttle driver even offered to take me to work 15 minutes before his shift started.

Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

FC Frag,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed your room, with all of its distinctive amenities. I regret that you were disturbed by some noises during your recent stay, please know that there was some work being done on our block to tie a business into the same city steam that we use. Should this occur again please let us know and we will look into it further. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the girl who delivered all of our cases to our rooms (there was a lot of luggage), to the hotel duty manager who was visible every morning at breakfast to ensure everything was ok and to ask if anyone had any queries about anything.
The rooms were spacious and clean.
It was in a good location, easy to walk to most places ie baseball stadium, waterfront but also very close to People Mover if you preferred to ride. Great not having to worry about parking as valet parking provided by hotel.
Would definitely use this hotel again if we return to Detroit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Wendy,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, we will be sure to share them with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel because we went to a Detroit Lions game. The room was clean, spacious and nice. The valet parking was nice too. It is close to everything you would like to do, we even walked to Ford Field. All the employees were very nice as well!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sanchia39
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Sanchia,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for the Lions game. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We are pleased that the location and amenities such as valet were so convenient for you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Holiday Inn Express Downtown Detroit