“Large suite, busy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
“Large suite, busy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Suite was roomy, clean, warm, quiet. A few renos going on but that didn't interfere with anything. Pool was not warm at all. Free hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, cereal, sweet breads, bagels, yogurt, bananas, helpful kitchen staff. Go early for breakfast though, after 9 am the line up was very long.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear Stephanie H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know that our room accommodations were to your liking and contributed to making your stay that much more comfortable. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the pool. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to go to a Red swings game. I was very happy with my stay. The front desk was fast at check in. The room was clean and very easy to get to. It's a short walk to the Joe and the people mover. I didn't valet my car but for booking with Priceline could have for nothing extra. Breakfast was good. Everybody was VERY friendly! Great location. Great stay. Will stay again!

Stayed December 2013
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Jessica,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for a Red Wings game. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

The staff here were so friendly and helpful! The valet was prompt and inexpensive. We had a great view from our room. It is close to public transport, and they have a free courtesy shuffle to take you around town. We would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Rosy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We pride ourselves on service and it is always great to hear from our guests how we are doing. I am pleased that you found our valet and the complimentary shuttle to be convenient for you in our central downtown location. We look forward to a chance to welcome you back again soon.
Carol Stream, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed there this past weekend. Valet parking was a joke the entire hotel entrance was filled with people waiting. We waited so long we paid $20.00 to the lot next door to park over night so free parking at what cost. I have never been treated as badly as I was here. The staff was rude especially their Monday AM Sales Manager. When we complained about the dining room staff to her she got right up in my husbands face and told him he had to leave the dining room with slippers on. It almost became a police call for us. We knew the town was terrible but you wouldn't expect the staff to be common thugs. We have contacted the Corporate office over this visit and do not suggest this as a hotel for anyone.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Mandi H
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Mandi,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. I would like to follow up with your concerns directly. I hope to have a chance to speak with you soon.
313-253-4344

Travellers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

First thing is first: the valet is a nightmare. They are understaffed, they are slow and the valet captain (whoever the lady is that stands inside and hands out keys) is rude to people. The area outside of the hotel where they have the cars waiting to be valeted is a very small area (granted, this is Downtown Detroit, but still, it can fit maybe four cars).

Then, the lobby, which is extremely small for a hotel that is expected to sell 65% or more every night (since there are 13 floors that have rooms on them, and there are 30 rooms on each of these floors, you would expect about 200 people in this hotel on a nightly/daily basis). Yes, they have a fireplace and are updating it, but when it's game day (for whichever team you're there for), this is ridiculous. The lobby is constantly full of people checking in or moving around, causing a lot of uncomfortable situations because everyone is standing on top of one another!

The staff behind the front desk are actually incredibly rude, as well. They are condescending when they speak to you, talk about you to each other when you're still within earshot, etc. While I was checking in, I overheard the other desk agent say to a woman that her last name (Kehoe) would be "very difficult to live with"; it was extremely unnecessary and rude of her to say to this guest.

When you get up to the room, everything is nice. The heater works great for the winter (don't know about the A/C though), the beds are comfortable, everything is beautifully decorated and the fixtures all work. The bathroom does need a fan in it for when showering, but other than that, everything was fine. My bathtub walls were still dirty, but when I tried to call down, it rang for four minutes before I finally hung up, cleaned it myself and showered. I also had to call down for extra towels, as there were three women in this room, and after it rang for probably a good 10 minutes, the desk agent finally picked up and assured me that towels would be up shortly. It took over an hour for the extra towels and shampoo to come up, and when they did, the housekeeper threw them into my arms and stalked off. Very rude. But, the shower was nice, got warm REALLY fast and the water pressure was fantastic.

If you want breakfast, go down early, especially on Sundays. There will be a line, and it will reach into the small lobby, so good luck if you're trying to check out. The breakfast area is small for having a huge hotel; my cousin and I stood around a trash can, eating our breakfast, waiting for a table to open up.

The valet to leave on game days is also slightly ridiculous. A couple standing next to me waited 25 minutes for their car, and I had to wait 35. They say call down 15 minutes ahead of time, but really, you should either not valet, or call down 45 minutes ahead of time.

This experience was so-so, but it is based on there being a Detroit Red Wings hockey game Saturday night and a Detroit Lions football game Sunday afternoon. Other times, I'm sure it's nice, but game weekends, it's horrible.

Room Tip: Rooms that are higher up experience less noise than ones closer to the ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tikitorch,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. As you have pointed out, we have a number of changes that are being made and appreciate the specific feedback about how we are improving. Please accept my sincere apologies about your service experiences at the hotel, it certainly doesn't reflect the service typical of our team, we will use your feedback as a training opportunity and continue to monitor the service we are providing. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. We thank you for your candid feedback, and hope that you will choose to stay with us should you visit the area again.
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff was very friendly, valet parking and breakfast were both included in the price. Clean and comfortable room, bed was great. Was within walking distance of the Hard Rock Cafe, which was great. Would stay again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Holiday Inn Express Detroit - Downtown, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Jacqueline,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the rate package and location of the hotel convenient for your visit. Thank you for your kind words about our service team. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I booked our room in April for Nov 8th and 9th because it seemed to have good amenities and location. Well we got here and realized after checking in that everything was under construction. No pool, no vending machines, no laundry, and the location was very sketchy, we even had a homeless woman beg for money while we were waiting for the elevator! The drain in our tub was broken and kept clogging while we showered and the shower curtain was just cloth so the whole bathroom was flooded after just one shower. The breakfast was decent but the biscuits and sausages gravy tasted funny and later we were very sick! The next day it wasn't on the bar anymore, because I assume others got sick as well. Valet parking was included in the rate and if was nice not to try and park somewhere because there is no free parking around. The valet did leave a couple scratches on our car though which is unacceptable. I will not stay here again! Save your $125 a night and go somewhere else for a few extra dollars.

• Stayed November 2013
Panekch,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept my apologies for your experiences. As you have pointed out, we do have some changes going on within the hotel to improve the guest experience; I apologize for the inconvenience this caused for you. I would like an opportunity to follow up on your concerns, so please reach out to me directly. I do hope that we have a chance to welcome you back again.