“Opa!”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Great authentic Greek food. Reasonably priced. Friendly, attentive service. A slice of what Greek town used to be.

Reviewed 4 March 2010

Two friends and I went to the Cyprus Taverna restaurant after a less than mediocre dinner at the Greektown Casino buffet the night before. Cyprus Taverna was delightful from the moment we walked in. One of those "holes in the wall", though with a charm of its own. The owner is delightful. Talked to us at our table and allowed us to sample a couple of different wines before we settled on the Othello red wine. Then he recommended the stuffed salmon. Said if we didn't like it, he'd buy our dinner. I could not tell a lie, and neither could my friends.....we LOVED the salmon! The best salmon I've had in a long time. Very moist, cooked perfectly, and so flavorful.....and a really substantial portion. Perfect. But before that I had the Lemon Chicken Soup. Again......perfect. I can't say enough good about this restaurant. Our waiter, as well as the other waiters, very knowledgeable, very friendly......the owner......I tried talking him into coming to Houston and opening up a place here. I hope he does, but I know this, I would take a trip to Detroit JUST to have another meal (or three) at the Cyprus Taverna Restaurant. It's a gem!

1  Thank Dollc
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Love dolmades and this restaurant hit the mark with its stuffed grape leaves. Ate here twice while in town for the Final Four. Didn't have the saganaki, but this restaurant does it with a flourish.