Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel recently underwent a renovation, but unfortunately, the bathroom's one-way glass doors were installed backwards, giving a view of the toilet and shower -- and anyone using them -- from the bed and sitting area of the room. We had to ask for and were provided with a shower curtain to cover the see-through bathroom door.

The hotel advertised its 24-hour snack, coffee, and gift shop. Not only was the shop not open 24 hours a day, it was not open at all.

The hotel also advertised free wifi. The wifi was excellent in the lobby (best hotel wifi I've ever seen), but was only available in some of the rooms. My corner room (1408) had no wifi reception.

On a positive note, I selected the hotel for its proximity to the Joe Louis Arena, for an event I attended. It is convenient to the Joe Louis Arena and two People Mover stops. Some rooms also offer lovely views of the river, downtown, and Canada, which we were able to enjoy after being moved to another room on our second night (with wifi, and only a half see-through bathroom door).

The cost of our stay for 3 nights in October averaged out to $300/night. All in all, I feel that this is extremely overpriced for what is provided, at least until the bathroom doors can be fixed, and the shop opens for business.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the corner of the hotel. They do not have wifi.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank skeetidot
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I wanted to formally apologize about any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. Please contact me directly at FOM@hotelpontchartrain.com to come up with a resolution for the inconveniences you experienced.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

The Crown Plaza was an absolutely gorgeous place to stay! It had recently went through a renovation. We stayed there for a Detroit Tiger baseball game. The people mover was just blocks away and took you wherever you needed to be. We strolled the downtown area in the late afternoon, very nice. Our room was beautiful with a gorgeous view. I've never slept on a more comfortable bed! The only complaint I had was the parking. Upon arrival, we were told valet parking was $25.00. We really didn't have a choice because all of the other parking available were unsecured lots. Would have been nice to know up front. They had beautiful dining areas as well, but we did not dine there. I would stay there again!

Room Tip: We were on the 23rd floor with a view of the bridge, but also alot of roof tops.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your awesome experience. We are proud to know that you found our hotel to be gorgeous. We are located right by Comerica Park (home of the Detroit Tigers) and we are happy that you choose our hotel to provide you with accommodations. I wanted to apologize the parking fee; we keep our valet costs competitive with the other lots in the downtown area. We look forward to your visit in the future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

I found this hotel to be in a prime location and peiced reasonable. The only complaint I have is the hotel could not accommodate our parking needs and we has to park outside of the hotel. We had a reservation at the hotel, but the hotel parking lot was full and our other parry drove a full sized family van and was told it was too big to park at the hotel. Other than that it was a pleasant stay and no major issues.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank BIGGROBB

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you found our hotel to be in a prime location and reasonably priced. I wanted to apologize about the parking situation; being an enclosed parking garage limits the size of cars that can enter. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I am staying at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Covention Center which just opened a few months ago. I thought my spectacular view of the river and Canada was a reward for being a IHG Rewards member. The front desk person suggested all the rooms have this great view!

Last night walked to a Steak and chops restaraunt about 4 blocks away. There were people in the area walking to the hockey game and others just strolling the streets. The press reports of dangerous people all over the city must have been fabricated. Did not even see a street person?

Tonight at in the hotels bar and found the food excellent. Try the trout as the presentation was good and the flavor was very good. Chatting with some of the locals it became apparent there are many people in this city committed to work for the revival of this city.

Next trip to Detroit will be at this hotel.

Room Tip: They all have great views and brand new
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jimplano
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your recent stay with us. We are proud to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the city of Detroit and that you choose our hotel to provide you with accommodations. We truly appreciate the great review and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked a 1 night stay here so we could visit Eastern Market, walk the waterfront and get up early and tailgate before a Lions game! We pulled in off Jefferson, had to go in and request a bellman--but everything was taken care of for us. Rooms were nice, fun watching the barges on the river. Unfortunately, did not sleep at all since the room was next to the elevator and you could hear the pings of the elevator shaft. Upon checking out, I advised the front desk and she just asked if I requested a room change. Just what I want to do in the middle of the night---pack up change rooms!
I did leave an article in my room and a big thanks to Alicia in housekeeping for saving it for me. Also to Francisco, Shamika & Hugh for arranging UPS to return it to me.
Overall, a beautiful hotel, I would stay here again (but far from the elevators!!)

Room Tip: Make sure the room is far from the elevators!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are glad that choose our hotel while you visited Detroit Eastern Market, the Detroit Riverwalk, and Ford Field. I wanted to official apologize about the location of the room, and we will make sure to give you a room away from the elevators for your next visit. We are pleased that you found our hotel to be beautiful and look forward to your return. Thank you.

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

For a downtown hotel in a major city the room rate I got was good for me. My room had an excellent view of the GM building and the waterway that separates us from Canada. The $25 a day valet has got to go, even though my car was always ready for me when I needed it. Staff was wonderful all around. Even when my toilet in my room didn't flush they gave me another room with the same view just on a lower floor. The city of Detroit will be seeing me again. They are rebuilding a better Detroit and I want to come back to see it, hopefully while staying at the Crowns Plaza.

• Stayed: October 2013
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to providing feedback about your recent stay; we are glad to hear that you had an excellent view of the GM building from your room. We are also happy to hear that you thought our staff was wonderful. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Booked a room last-minute for a Red Wings game with friends. I booked through one of those "hidden hotel" sites, booked for 4 adults and got a room with 2 full size beds. Queen size would be nice but considering the size of the rooms, full-size is perfectly understandable.

This hotel has a lot of history. The Hotel Pontchartrain has been remodeled and is back in business. Everything that I could see was clean and polished. Updated and modern but still feels like a old classic.

The rooms are really cool, it looks like every outside-facing room has a v-shaped window so you can see a bunch of the city. Our room was overlooking Cobo and Windsor.

Only complaints that I have is that check-in and check-out seemed "clunky". Employee at the desk had to ask for my ID and credit card 4 times (and this was a fully pre-paid reservation). Took almost 10 minutes for him to get us checked it.
Also, we drove around the hotel several times, at the motor lobby there is a sign saying to valet-park on the Jefferson entrance. We drove up and parked there, and no one was there. We went inside and were told to go to the motor lobby. Need to get that sign taken down, or get valet attendants on Jefferson entrance.

Only on-site parking is valet, and I recommend using it. I saw how tight the garage is, and I can see why they dont want guests trying to park in there. They took care of our car, and when we checked out, they had our car upstairs to the Jefferson entrance in about 2 minutes. Convenient.

We did not use the fitness center or pool. I saw the outdoor pool was closed for the season, but I think I saw an indoor pool as well.

Bathroom was very cool, updated but it looked like the floor was the original tile floor. Very good condition and EXCELLENT water pressure.

We watched the end of the Tigers game in the hotel bar after the Red Wings game. Nice bar, but rather pricey, only craft beer on draft and everything seemed to be at least $7 for a average sized pour.

Room Tip: Call ahead if you have any preferences. Ask if you can get a river-view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing our property. We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay. We are glad that you enjoyed the view of Cobo Center and Windsor. I wanted to apologize about the slower than usual check in process. I will continue to provide training to the front desk staff to ensure that the check in and check out process is as smooth as possible. We look forward to your return.