1,115 results
All reviews front desk cobo center people mover queen suite great view of the river valet parking hart plaza corner room early check ambassador bridge definitely stay here again valet service wings the room was nice lions game ford field cp
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was staying here during Youmacon 2013 and felt immediately at home despite having been at the Renaissance Marriott down the road the past three years. It felt really comfortable and personable.

The reception was attentive and quick to get me settled after a long journey from the UK. It meant that I could focus on resting and getting some food at the hotel restaurant which is the 'killer app' so to speak. The price is high but so is the quality and choice on offer. My own recommendations would be The Detroit Roll [a large nori-wrapped roll] and their Poutine. I ate there way more than I should have as the cost mounts up over time but if you're on holiday, then it doesn't matter anyway!

The rooms are comfy and well laid out which led to a comfortable experience and some of the best beds I've slept in a while! The concern though with the room was the glass door to the bathroom. Yes it's frosted but even then that's awkward when you got friends sharing with you. Probably best to replace with a solid door or at least use a towel to cover most of it up.

Since I spent most of my time at the Cobo next door, the location for this hotel is perfect for anyone attending an event there. The ability to just roll out of bed and walk across the street is handy and safe!

This addition to 'The Big D' is most welcome and a return for a Detroit icon.

Room tip: Aim for rooms with even numbers as they're more likely to look over the river and the Canadian border, especially above the 15th floor.
Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank LawVS
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Ok, if you are looking for a great location in downtown Detroit to go to Cobo, Comerica or Ford Field then this is a good cost effective solution. The room was mostly clean and the bathroom could use an update. The indoor pool requires you to go outdoor so bring a warm robe to get to it. If your room comes with breakfast make sure you get the coupons when you check in. Breakfast an experience on to itself: We spent 5 minutes standing there while the hostess and wait staff tried to figure out which waitress was up for rotation. The service at breakfast was TERRIBLE; I could have picked the coffee beans while waiting for a first cup of coffee. I ordered a waffle with a side of ham - what I got was a nice cold waffle with sliced slivers of ham (the waitress said they use it for omelets). Funny but not tasty. One of the waiters ( a shaved head guy) was rude not only to fellow staff but the guests as well. Nice to hear him tell the hostess "Why the hell do I get all the tables of one?"; besides he was busy screaming "behind" every time he passed by someone at the computer. It was the first time I have ever seen a single waiter destroy the karma within the whole wait staff.

So now the positive things. It was Thanksgiving and taxi availability was limited yet the valets helps us get to our dinner reservation on time. The People Mover is right next door so getting to Ford Field and Greektown was easy. Housekeeping was accommodating and took care of the room at a time convenient to us. The staff was friendly even though ineffective.

So bottom line I would stay there again if going to a downtown activity. Wasn't great but the cost made it tolerable but bring your own breakfast.

Room tip: Ask for a room facing the River.
Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank phantom_49601
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing your recent stay with us. As you mentioned we are a great location in downtown Detroit if you are visiting Cobo Center, Comerica Park, or Ford Field. I wanted to apologize about your experience in our restaurant for breakfast. We have shared this review with our F&B staff as a training tool to ensure that moving forward this doesn't happen again. I am glad to hear that the valet was helpful in getting you to your dinner reservations on time, and also thrilled that housekeeping was accommodation and took care of you during your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me at FOM@hotelpontchartrain.com to discuss this further. Thank you

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I found this hotel to be in a prime location and priced reasonable. The only complaint I have is that the hotel could not accommodate our parking needs and we has to park outside of the hotel. We had a reservation at the hotel, but the hotel parking lot was full and our other party drove a full sized family van and was told it was too big to park at the hotel. Other than that it was a pleasant stay and no major issues.

Date of stay: October 2013
Hugh F, Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I wanted to apologize about the parking situation. Being a downtown property the parking can be limited. Our valet is working on a deal where we will acquire an additional lot to be able to accommodate more parking. We are happy to hear that besides the parking you still had a pleasant stay with no major issues. We look forward to your return.

Date of stay: October 2013

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were attending an Elton John concept in Detroit and had the good fortune of finding this hotel. Echoing what others have reported, this is a great choice on many fronts. Its proximity to Cobo hall and the Joe Louis arena make it a perfect location. Its room views of the Detroit river provide a very nice backdrop. The hotel is in excellent condition and our reception at the front desk was welcoming and professional.The rooms are of superior quality in the best Crowne Plaza tradition.
Breakfast in the dining room was also a pleasant experience. The menu was unique and reasonably priced. Service was good and attentive and the food was plentiful and tasty.
All in all, we would have no hesitation in recommending this property and we personally look forward to our next stay.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reviewing our property. We are glad that you chose our hotel for the Elton John concert that was at Joe Louis Arena. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed everything from the room, staff, and dining. We look forward to your return. Thank you