Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront
US$138
US$367
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
All reviewsfront deskpeople movercobo centerqueen suitejoe louis arenagreat view of the rivervalet parkinghart plazared wings gamecorner roomearly checkdefinitely stay here againambassador bridgevalet servicethe room was nicetigers gameford field
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of meeting Charles, the GM while on a short business trip to Detroit.

I had a couple of issues, including the room type I was assigned, and he quickly reacted.

In the evening, i received a follow up call from the front desk which was a nice touch.

Honestly, Detroit is not the most desirable place to be right now. But if you have to spend time there, my vote is to spend it at the Crowne Downtown.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
FD Supervisor C, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear Holdenbea,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. We greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to give us compliments on your stay. Even though your stay was brief, I am so happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your requests efficiently. Thank you again, Charles and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Staff at the crown royal was from courteous and professional. I was always greeted with a smile and asked if I needed any additional service. My room had a spectacular view. In the dining area was outstanding I made sure I had breakfast at the hotel each day. I would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: August 2014
FD Supervisor C, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear GLB555

Thank you for your recent review of the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass along your compliments to the restaurant and so appreciate that you have taken the time to send us your thoughts. Glad that you were pleased with our magnificent views of Detroit, and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived before 6pm for our 3pm check-in. The lobby was packed with people, waiting to check in. We got in line and waited, and waited and waited. No one was from the hotel was taking the initiative to explain what was happening, people were frustrated and getting angry. I called the Crowne Plaza main number to ask if I could cancel my reservation and I was told I would lose my entire payment. When I asked how long the wait would be, I was told I would get a phone call from guest services; that was Saturday and now it's Monday.

After more than an hour in line we were able to check in... kind of. There were no rooms ready. So again we waited. The manager was called over to deal with the couple behind us who explained that everyone in the hotel had overstayed and they didn't have clean rooms and that was what we were waiting for. So after another 15 minutes we were given a room key. We attended the room and found it to have only one double bed, the reservation was for two. We called down and were told that it was an upgrade (not sure how 1 double bed is an upgrade from 2 double beds) and if we wanted a new room to return to the front desk.

We went back downstairs and waited again for another room. We were given another room key and went back upstairs. This time there was a second bed. We dropped our things and went to use the bathroom which has a glass door on it. The bathrooms in these hotels are tiny and if you are sitting on the toilet you can look through the glass (which is textured) to the people in your room. No privacy at all. The carpet was stained throughout the room and it just didn't feel clean.

If I could have cancelled this reservation I would have. I am so disappointed as I have recently stayed at an Indigo hotel in Ottawa, it was fantastic, I can't say the same thing about the Crowne in Detroit. I will never go back to the Crowne Plaza. There are so many wonderful places to stay in Detroit, the Crowne is not one of them.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
FD Supervisor C, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Jennifer146,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. We do appreciate all feedback from our guest to continue to improve and perfect our business and service. With that being said I am very upset to hear that you had a rough first time experience with us. The experience sounds like it was quite the roller coaster and I want to personally apologize for that. I know that we had guests experiencing awfully long wait times on Saturday and I agree with you that we need to find a better solution to this issue. The amount of business we saw come into the hotel in a two hour time span on Saturday was more then we have ever seen before at this hotel.
In regards to cancelling your reservation, was it booked through a third party perhaps? That can make it difficult to cancel sometimes because the hotel hasn't directly received the payment.
Also I am very disappointed that you were given a room with one bed when you requested two, I'm glad to see though that when you returned to the desk they were able to accommodate your request.
In regards to the bathroom door, the process of fixing that issue has already been put in place throughout some of our rooms already, and your room unfortunately was still waiting to get the extra film put on the door to make it less translucent.
Thank you once again for your review of your stay and we hope to see you return so we can show you the hospitality we strive to achieve. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if you have any questions or if there is anything further I can assist you with.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

My first visit to Detroit and to Michigan was spectacular. I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza and felt very comfortable and right at home. David checked us in and gave wonderful suggestions on getting to and from the airport, around town and explained the People Mover system to us. Anytime I had a question or had a request, David was so very helpful. He really contributed to the great experience I had for my first visit to the city. We were attending the Netroots Convention and the location of the hotel could not have been more convenient! The room was clean and neat and everyone I came across was so welcoming and helpful. Thank you especially again David for your kindness, it definitely made two southern girls grateful and we could not have been more happy with our overall experience.

Room Tip: ask for the side overlooking the river if possible, the view was the only I thing I would have changed of our room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Nick K, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Melissa C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. We appreciate and welcome all feedback from our guests to better our service and product. I will pass along your compliments to David and am so glad that he was able to provide you with the excellent service that we strive for here. Next time you plan a trip to Michigan stop by and see us. Thank you again and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We went to the Eminem and Rihanna concert at Comerica Park and loved the location of this hotel! My friend and I stayed in room 2308, checked in Friday night 8/22 and checked out 8/23. We pulled in to the valet and dropped off the car and was directed upstairs to check in. I was greeted at the front desk immediately and was recognized as a gold member. We were given 2 complimentary breakfasts and 2 complimentary drinks to be used at the bar. The people mover is walking distance and worked out perfectly for us to use. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I had a great first impression of this place and will recommend this to others!

Thank you again Crowne Plaza Detroit for a great view and a pleasant experience!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank S A

Dear S A,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Detroit. We strive everyday to provide great service and product to our guests. I will forward your compliments to the valet, front desk, and restaurant. We hope to see you soon at your next downtown Detroit concert experience. Thank you again for choosing IHG and we look forward to your return.