“Unexpected, unique”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Sacramento, California
“Unexpected, unique”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Who would think? Fine dining in a bowling alley! Our bus driver told us we had to go into the Majestic Bowling Alley to check out the art. We did. The art was funny, funky and unusual: 1930's style large paintings of buildings in Detroit being knocked over along with the bowling pins. They had neon incorporated into the paintings, too. The bowling alley proprietor told us to check out the art in the cafe. They were photos of jazz musicians who have played Detroit. The menu looked good, so we came back the next day for dinner. The Calamari was exquisite, the salads perfect and the entrees delightful. Prices were very reasonable , too. You will not find this combination too often.

• Visited September 2013

Plymouth, Michigan
“What took us so long?”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

First time at Majestic Cafe last night with my wife. Waiting for a concert at the Theater upstairs. Seated right away. Bridget waited on us right away. Very friendly. She answered all of our questions on menu items. Did not try any drinks cause I knew I would have a few at the concert. Started with the Majestic drumsticks with a Michigan Cherry and ginger sauce. 4 very large drumsticks came to the table with ample amounts of sauce. Very tasty but sauce lacked a prominent ginger flavor. My wife ordered the lobster mac n cheese with a salad and I had the Mahi Mahi with caesar salad. First thought was both were a little on high priced side but neither one was disappointing. Lobster mac n cheese was quite large and very tasty. 5 blended cheeses and Maine lobster. Very rich and baked to perfection. My Mahi Mahi came on a bed of Quinoa-Couscous pilaf and topped with a jicama salsa and lime parsley sauce. Man this was some good fish. Very nice portion and done perfectly. Only complaint is the lime sauce is a little too tart. also came with grilled veggies that were just delicious. Nice rustic decor that may turn some off when paying the more than moderate prices for most of the entrees. I know I will go back for a burger and hope they are as good as the main dinner items. This is a GO TO in my book.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KevinGault
Denver, Colorado
“A Fun and Talented Chef”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Our waitress Christine was so much fun! She convinced us to try a brunch special -- sadly I can't remember the name of it -- but it was a perfect piece of pastry smothered in powdered sugar and drizzled with a berry and chocolate sauce combo. According to Christine, it was a delicacy from New Orleans that was just introduced for that Sunday morning brunch. We followed up with a polenta scramble (for him) and the peppercorn encrusted lox (for me). The blend of flavors -- sweet and spicy -- was fresh and fun. The bottomless mimosa was also a great treat.

Everything was presented so artfully it was almost sad to disturb the plates with our forks.

I'm looking forward to a return visit to enjoy the dinner menu.

Visited December 2012
Romeo, Michigan
“It was a package deal with the music.”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

It's very small, and hints of upscale but it's not really, it's trying hard, and the food was good, and interesting. I didn't have it but noticed the lobster mac and cheese. The most common item people were ordering so --- it must be good. I had a small steak and it was fine. it's a very different vibe, not bad, just different. The place almost smiles!

Visited January 2012
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Awesome Culture”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This place has such a great music culture it's hard not to get swept up in it when you're there; you can literally feel the history of this place.

Visited November 2012