See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Run down hotel with furniture reminiscent of the 60s-70s, although bed and bathroom were clean. Reception desk looked worse than the room itself. No phone, no hairdryer. Has air conditioning, free wifi, microwave and mini fridge. Nice view of the Motorcity. I was told the Viking Hotel used to be a hotspot for criminal activity, but an Indian family has recently purchased the hotel and it appears they are trying to turn around its reputation, the two nights I stayed there, I didn't see any odd commotion or sex workers. I am a young woman travelling alone and they made sure I was not one of them too, lol. They were not the warmest people but were polite and efficient. Both a cab and a delivery driver advised against staying there though, so I would probably avoid it if you are travelling as a family with children, just to be safe. Great location. Best price (55$ USD a night in late July through online booking). Not a great spot to get to on foot but it's only about a 5$ cab ride from downtown.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2017

We stayed here because of its location and price. It is close to the D Drop, New Year's Eve celebration and Ford Field. We attended the New Year's Eve D Drop in 2016. We were going to walk there, but decided to drive. Others in our hotel did walk and it took about 1/2 hour. An Indian Family owns this place. They were not the most friendly people, but were efficient.

Our hotel room furniture was from the 1950s or 1960s, which kind of takes you back and makes it look like a dump when you walk into the room. We had a microwave and a fridge in our room. The beds were very comfortable and the place was clean. It did not have bed bugs, I looked!! I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 17 October 2016 via mobile

I am not saying this is a nice hotel by any means but since the horrible reviews a nice Indian family bought this motel and looks like the are fixing this up. The hotel is very old and needs a lot of tlc but the crime and hookers have been removed. My friend and I were out of option so we stayed here. Clean beds and room. Bathroom needs a complete fix. Felt safe walking at night to the caniso and to the stadium. stay here if you need a cheap place to stay with your buddies or want to stay close to the stadium.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
6  Thank kgtravel70
Reviewed 7 September 2016

all the bad reviews on trip adviser are true we stayed one night one night and i was frightened to go to sleep. there was drug dealing and prostitutes coming and going at all hours of the night.the roomhad a terrible odour coming from the bed a terrible chemical smell which woke me up in the early hours with a massive headache.there was blood splattered all over the bathroom there was holes in the bathroom door there was no wifi also no kitchen and no coffee,not that i would have had any anyway,false advertising.iadvise anyone to stay clear.

Stayed: August 2016
11  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel due to closeness to Comerica Park Ballpark and price. This was a very OLD hotel. Attendant on duty was friendly and helpful. He printed out directions to the ball park. The room was VERY basic. Clean, but no phone, no ice machine, no hair dryer. The bed was not made up, nor new towels provided when we returned several hours later. Went to desk and same attendant apologized and did not know why room was not made up as he was not on duty then gave me clean towels upon my request. You get what you pay for.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple