“Not bad for one night” 3 of 5 bubbles

MotorCity Casino Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
“Not bad for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were in town for one night to see a show at The Filmore and figured a casino would be able to offer a place to get drinks after the show since we weren't familiar with the area and wanted a safe place. The hotel decor was very nice, but the lighting in the room was horrible, particularly in front of the bathroom mirror. There was a light up makeup mirror, but that was only minimally helpful in the shadows. The air in the room was stale, so I decided to run the fan. We were in a non-smoking room (that required signing a non-smoking agreement upon check-in), but when we ran the fan, it smelled of smoke. I considered asking to change rooms, but we weren't spending much time there, so I just decided to deal with it.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Sanford, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I went to visit my brother and his family, who live fairly close to downtown Detroit. We decided to try something different this time, rather than staying at the usual airport area hotels, which would have been a good 20-30 minutes away. This was the most affordable of the three casino hotels. We were very comfortable in our room, and the bed was very wonderful! I LOVED the bathtub, which was deep and had a waterfall-like faucet. The bathroom was very well appointed. My husband won at the tables all three times he visited the casino(essentially paying for our room, plus more) and while we didn't really eat at the restaurants, there seemed to be many choices, some at reasonable prices. The free valet parking was an asset. While the staff was not overly friendly, no complaints about customer service. (They accomodated my request for a room on a high enough floor for a view, which was nice...Ford Field, the Ambassador Bridge, etc.) It is easily accessible from the highway, which made the location reasonable. We will definitely plan to stay there again...NO complaints at all.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Waterford, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

From the time we walked in the door it was nothing but horrendous. I have stayed at 4 diamond resorts before and this place doesnt deserve its ratings at all. They first gave us a hard time about bringing in our cooler. After taking it back to our car and finally getting to our room, we noticed that there was still garbage in the garbage can, the carpet was stained and dirty, the windows had smudge marks all over them, and our toilet had blood on it! Needless to say we were disgusted and would have left but we were meeting friends for the weekend. I ended up asking the housekeeping person in the hallway for some cleaning supplies so I could clean it myself because I didnt trust them moving us to another room. We ordered room service with just a simple fruit plate and it took an hour for them to bring it up. The hotel doesnt even have a pool and the staff are not very customer service oriented. When we checked out we notice they charged us for something in the mini bar because we picked something up out of it and put it back. There are sensors on the mini bar so make sure not to touch anything or you'll be charged for it. All in all, I felt like they tried to nickel and dime us for everything in the hotel. This is fine for a nice hotel, but this place has detroit scam written all over it. The casino is full of trash as well, including the people in it. Not worth the money at all, especially because of the filth. Im never going back again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Babs333
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We stayed in an executive king room with a $50 casino credit. I'm not a gambler, but it was nice to have a little money to play around with in the casino. We actually ended up coming out ahead after playing for two hours. Our room also came with access to the lounge where you can sample hors d'oeuvres before dinner. The food was good, but more along the lines of bar food than hors d'oeuvres. The bed in the room was very comfortable! We stayed in room 1416 and had an excellent view of the city. The room was extremely clean and the hotel staff was very friendly. Free parking in a well lit parking garage with free valet was also a bonus. One recommendation I would make to the hotel is to offer shuttle service to the Tigers games. You can catch a cab, but I would NOT recommend walking. The area around the hotel is not great, and walking back after the game is definitely not safe. Offering a shuttle service would be a relatively cheap, easy thing to do. The MGM provides one, I would expect a hotel such as MotorCity to do so as well. I also have to say that while overall the staff was friendly, they were less than polite if they didn't know you were a hotel guest. If they thought you were simply visiting the casino and not staying in the hotel, they were rude and would demand to see your key card. I don't know if they have an issue with people trying to sneak in from the casino, but I felt harassed just trying to go to my room.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Char T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

If you want an upscale hotel and hotel room at reasonable prices, this is the place to stay in downtown Detroit. The hotel is brand new and the rooms are state of the art. The entire property has free WiFi and it is the strongest signal and fastest hotel WiFi I have ever experienced! You will not regret staying at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HiTownMan
McKinney, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

First off I would like to thank the staff and management. i had a great time there. next time i plan on staying longer. the staff remembers your name! the food was good. i stayed at the executive floor and it was all good. i can t wait to come again. the valet staff gave me directions to everywhere we wanted to go.

Room Tip: Bring a swimsuit. plan to stay longer than two or three days. bring tennis shoes
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Denise M
Port Republic, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Very attractive decor, nice restaurant on the top floor. Room was a bit stuffy (did not appear to be a vent in the bathroom so everything steamed up after we took showers) and I felt a bit like I was entering a prison with all of the security, but I guess they want to keep you safe. No pool, but I thought from the website that people staying in the hotel could use the spa's hot tubs but when I asked the front desk they said I would have to pay $25. That is my only real complaint, but I wasn't really there to swim anyway.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple