“Vroom Vroom -- MotorCity delivers!”

MotorCity Casino Hotel
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My husband had a business trip to Detroit the same weekend as our 10th wedding anniversary, so he took me along and booked us for one night at this Casino Hotel. The room was wonderful -- spacious, clean, modern, luxurious and afforded a great view of downtown and of the bridge to Canada. This was my first trip to Detroit, and it was really interesting. The hotel feels very safe and is clean and seemingly well run, but it was rather surreal driving through much of the Detroit area, seeing whole abandoned neighborhoods, tagged buildings, and many, many empty lots. The buffet was quite good, the casino felt just like Las Vegas, and the room was, as mentioned, well above average. Two minor inconveniences -- the ipod station did not work, nor did the stopper in the absolutely fabulous sunken tub in the bathroom. I improvised and used a washcloth to stop the drain and had a lovely bath. One major inconvenience -- we ordered room service breakfast and when it came it was incorrect. We called to explain, they said they'd fix it quickly and be up with a new omelette pronto. They did arrive quite soon with a different breakfast, but this one was also wrong! I'm thinking somebody in the kitchen just couldn't get their act together that morning. To the hotel's credit, they did say they would remove the charges for the breakfasts. Valet parking was free and quick. Getting around Detroit was not easy, however, because of many closed off and blocked streets. I hope that Detroit restores itself fully and well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 10th floor or higher, facing downtown.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AdventuresWithMary

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed at the MotorCity for a family reunion dinner and program. Pluses include : the location (close to downtown) the free Valet , the well appointed and large rooms, comfortable beds, Celebrity watching (Tiger players , etc ) and some of the staff. Negatives include : the location (run down neighbor ) , refrigerators that ONLY accomodate overpriced hotel liquour and snacks that you get CHARGED for if you disturb the sensors beneath the bottles (seriously there is not enough spare room in the fridge for a bottled water!), inconsistent room and bell person assistance. and maid service that doesnt prepare rooms till 5p or later for check in.

Room Tip: Try to arrive EARLY for check in. A few rooms are cleaned early . Everyone else has a long wait...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2012

My son and I stayed to take in a Tigers game. Accommodations were great and very clean. Hospitality was top rate from arrival with the Valet service and check-in to when we picked up our vehicle to return home. Front desk was very helpful. The casino is very nice with the only exception is they allow smoking. Needed to wash clothes immediately when we returned home. I can't believe how much different things are today than a few years ago when smoking was allowed everywhere. We just lived with it. Would be nice if the would restrict smoking in casinos too.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wazoo34
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My husband and I were in town for one night to see a show at The Filmore and figured a casino would be able to offer a place to get drinks after the show since we weren't familiar with the area and wanted a safe place. The hotel decor was very nice, but the lighting in the room was horrible, particularly in front of the bathroom mirror. There was a light up makeup mirror, but that was only minimally helpful in the shadows. The air in the room was stale, so I decided to run the fan. We were in a non-smoking room (that required signing a non-smoking agreement upon check-in), but when we ran the fan, it smelled of smoke. I considered asking to change rooms, but we weren't spending much time there, so I just decided to deal with it.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I went to visit my brother and his family, who live fairly close to downtown Detroit. We decided to try something different this time, rather than staying at the usual airport area hotels, which would have been a good 20-30 minutes away. This was the most affordable of the three casino hotels. We were very comfortable in our room, and the bed was very wonderful! I LOVED the bathtub, which was deep and had a waterfall-like faucet. The bathroom was very well appointed. My husband won at the tables all three times he visited the casino(essentially paying for our room, plus more) and while we didn't really eat at the restaurants, there seemed to be many choices, some at reasonable prices. The free valet parking was an asset. While the staff was not overly friendly, no complaints about customer service. (They accomodated my request for a room on a high enough floor for a view, which was nice...Ford Field, the Ambassador Bridge, etc.) It is easily accessible from the highway, which made the location reasonable. We will definitely plan to stay there again...NO complaints at all.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

From the time we walked in the door it was nothing but horrendous. I have stayed at 4 diamond resorts before and this place doesnt deserve its ratings at all. They first gave us a hard time about bringing in our cooler. After taking it back to our car and finally getting to our room, we noticed that there was still garbage in the garbage can, the carpet was stained and dirty, the windows had smudge marks all over them, and our toilet had blood on it! Needless to say we were disgusted and would have left but we were meeting friends for the weekend. I ended up asking the housekeeping person in the hallway for some cleaning supplies so I could clean it myself because I didnt trust them moving us to another room. We ordered room service with just a simple fruit plate and it took an hour for them to bring it up. The hotel doesnt even have a pool and the staff are not very customer service oriented. When we checked out we notice they charged us for something in the mini bar because we picked something up out of it and put it back. There are sensors on the mini bar so make sure not to touch anything or you'll be charged for it. All in all, I felt like they tried to nickel and dime us for everything in the hotel. This is fine for a nice hotel, but this place has detroit scam written all over it. The casino is full of trash as well, including the people in it. Not worth the money at all, especially because of the filth. Im never going back again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Babs333
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We stayed in an executive king room with a $50 casino credit. I'm not a gambler, but it was nice to have a little money to play around with in the casino. We actually ended up coming out ahead after playing for two hours. Our room also came with access to the lounge where you can sample hors d'oeuvres before dinner. The food was good, but more along the lines of bar food than hors d'oeuvres. The bed in the room was very comfortable! We stayed in room 1416 and had an excellent view of the city. The room was extremely clean and the hotel staff was very friendly. Free parking in a well lit parking garage with free valet was also a bonus. One recommendation I would make to the hotel is to offer shuttle service to the Tigers games. You can catch a cab, but I would NOT recommend walking. The area around the hotel is not great, and walking back after the game is definitely not safe. Offering a shuttle service would be a relatively cheap, easy thing to do. The MGM provides one, I would expect a hotel such as MotorCity to do so as well. I also have to say that while overall the staff was friendly, they were less than polite if they didn't know you were a hotel guest. If they thought you were simply visiting the casino and not staying in the hotel, they were rude and would demand to see your key card. I don't know if they have an issue with people trying to sneak in from the casino, but I felt harassed just trying to go to my room.

• Stayed: August 2012