“Great hotel but you're still in Detroit”

MotorCity Casino Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel was a great place to stay. It was clean and comfortable with its modern decor. We stayed in a room on the 13th floor. The area surrounding the hotel is rough due to the dilapidated state of Detroit in general, and it is surrounded by either run-down or vacant housing. This hotel was great because with the casino, parking, and several restaurants all with indoor access, you didn't have to go outside if you didn't want to.

I really liked that there was a parking garage with both valet and self service. I would recommend self-parking though since it's only one floor higher and seemed quicker to get in and out due to not having to wait for someone to get your car which seemed to be taking a long time for other people we saw using valet.

I don't know if all the bathrooms are like this or just in the rooms on the upper floors, but the bathroom was huge! It had a walk-in stone shower, separate from the bath tub, separate from a water closet, all given access by the large room with the sink. This was great because everyone could be doing something separate, and was great as we had two couples staying in this room.

My only complaint was the snack bar/fridge in the room. You don't see until much later that on the hidden card, on the back, in tiny print it says, "For your convenience, any items removed for longer than 45 seconds will be automatically charged to your room." This seemed deceptive, especially since each container was plastic wrapped. This also made the fridge unavailable for use of anything you might bring to your room because it was fully stocked with the hotel's drinks.

Room Tip: Floors 13 and up are only accessible in the elevator by key card, so our 13th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
MotorCityCasinoHotel, Review Team at MotorCity Casino Hotel at MotorCity Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hello, LR,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Fridges are available for personal items; let us know next time and we’ll make arrangements for you!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

First time we've ever stayed at the Motorcity Hotel and Casino. We've spent many nights in Las Vegas at various hotels, but we have never had a room/suite as beautiful and large as this one.

There were always two security employees at a desk near the elevators to make sure only those with proper ID could proceed to the rooms.

Hotel was very easy to get around and there were several good places to eat. To be honest, when we first looked at the prices in the different restaurants they seemed a little high, but we decided to grab a bite anyway. What a pleasant surprise. The portions were huge. Two people can easily split a meal and still be full. Our server was very pleasant and had a great smile, too.

Now for The Room. The room was the largest we've ever had in a hotel/casino. The bathroom is huge with a private area for the toilet, a very large separate walk-in shower and a large soaking tub all with marble walls and floor. A very comfortable king sized bed with lots of pillows for setting up or reclining. The radio had USB ports for charging your Ipad or cellphone. There was also a table with two chairs. This room had a media center in a large wooden wardrobe with separate closets at both ends complete with luxurious robes and plenty of hangers and drawers for clothes.

Parking and entry into hotel was easy and quick. The valet parking is supposed to be complementary and might have been, but it just seems customary to tip a person who dashes off into the parking structure to deliver your vehicle to you.

Cons: The free wireless was very spotty on 6th floor. No shuttle to airport. There is supposed to be a complimentary shuttle to Comerica Park for the Tigers Package, but we couldn't find the shuttle before or after the games. Taxi costs to and from the games averaged $6-$7 which is cheaper than parking in a lot by far.

Overall I would rate this a very nice experience.

Hi, Vicksburger,

We appreciate you taking the time to include the details of your stay in your review! We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was a business trip into the greater Detroit area, and I had visited this property a few weeks back and was taking advantage of their "Play for an Hour and get a Free Room" promotion. While this seemed a bit too good to be true, it is as advertised, and I was not charged a cent for my promotional room that was earned 8 weeks ago. I was not quite sure what to expect since this property is located in downtown Detroit which has been the subject of less than complimentary stories over the last few years. Parking was easy, and checking into the property was an absolute breeze, however, it was 8:00 PM on a Wednesday evening, and the lobby was not too crowded. I showered and headed to the casino for a couple of hours and held my own, but they did keep a few of my dollars. After the recreation portion of my evening, I decided that I would get some food before turning in. Since it was a bit late, my only real choice was "The Lodge Diner" unless I wanted pizza. This menu is made up of basic sandwiches and a few staples like Ribs and Chicken. I ordered a Philly Steak sandwich and was not disappointed. The meal was excellent, and my server did a vary nice job staying in touch and asking if I required anything more. So, experience #1 was just fine. I chose the same restaurant the next morning as it seemed the best/only breakfast venue at the hour I was looking to eat. The morning experience was 180 degrees from the prior evening. My server was less than attentive and my coffee was gone before she had the courtesy to come back around and check on me. (I do not take points off if a restaurant is busy and understaffed, however, this was not the case. Only 7 or 8 patrons in the place and the waitress spent time talking with co-workers rather than seeing to her tables.) My food was delicious and more than I could possibly eat, so they do not short you by any means when it comes to portions!
To sum my stay up, I have to say that my room was extremely nice and for $0.00 it was doubly satisfying. Every pluming fixture was in perfect operating condition, sheets were clean and crisp and the towels were thick and luxuriant. I will stay again if the opportunity arises. While my restaurant experience was so-so, I could certainly say that maybe my waitress was having a personal crisis or something else going on that had her distracted. no reason to condemn what seemed a very nice diner within a lovely property.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bradley B
MotorCityCasinoHotel, Review Team at MotorCity Casino Hotel at MotorCity Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Bradley,

We appreciate your feedback and hope we’ve made you a regular at our place!

The Review Team at MotorCity Hotel

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place is gross. Bottom line, the service is poor. Noticed a giant blonde hairball on the bathroom floor as soon as I walked in. My sheets had large makeup smudge right where my face lay (I don't wear makeup, I'm a guy). The toilet seat is loose and flops around like a cheap gas station. The clock in my room doesn't work, it just constantly displays the wrong time. I tried to adjust it to find all of the scrapes made from previous guests trying to fix it as well. Walking down the hallway I glanced into a room a maid was cleaning. There was another hotel staff person lounging on the furniture while she cleaned. Also, there is a dog barking a high-pitched yelp next door, but it's not quite as loud as the woman yelling and doors slamming last night. Oh, and if you walk out of the resort, prepare to see the walking dead.

The casino is okay, I guess, and the food court was decent. The patrons here are gross too.

Room Tip: Choose a room not at this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
MotorCityCasinoHotel, Review Team at MotorCity Casino Hotel at MotorCity Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hey, SunshineStateGuy,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We’ve forwarded your comments to our hotel management so they can look into them.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here in early June during convention at Ford Field. Had never stayed at Casino before tried it since they are supposed to be nice. Was not disappointed, room was very nice, bathroom even nicer (spacious, bath, shower, separated toilet). If have ride into downtown like we did, this workes great, if not getting into downtown is bother as don't want to have to walk rundown neighborhood to downtown. Due to this and Casino, have many restauraunts downstairs so don't have to leave, heard they were very good but pricy. Also restuaraunt area seemed smoky most of the time. Also have concert venue. We drove 3mins to Corktown and greatly enjoyed Mercury Burger Bar and Slow's BBQ (both excellent).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hi, Medinatraveler,

Glad we made a good first impression! Come back and see us soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at Motor City Casino hotel last night and when we got in our room first thing we noticed was the tile floor in the room was dirty,Then we started looking the room over and there was potato chips on the floor under the table and pieces of lint and dirt and crumbs all over the floor,there was also hair in the bath tub and pieces of plastic from soap wrappers in the shower,we called the desk and told them our room was dirty. We were then told they would send someone up to clean the room.they wanted us to wait around while they cleaned the room.I was not happy with having to wait.We sat there for over 1/2 an hour and no cleaning personnel ever showed up so we called the desk again and asked for a supervisor.He told us to come to the desk and leave our luggage at the front desk while they cleaned the room and said we could hang out at the casino,We both had our medications with us and did not feel comfortable leaving all our stuff at the front desk and eventually got a different room.That room also had crumbs on the floor behind the chairs and in the corners.The bathroom was a little cleaner but the shelves in front of the tub where they store towels was covered in dust.we called the desk again and told them we were not happy.The hotel NEVER tried to do much about the dirty rooms and NEVER offered any kind of upgrade or comps.We will never go back to motor city hotel

Room Tip: The Rooms are Dusty and Dirty was not a pleasent stay at all :(
2  Thank Tracy M
MotorCityCasinoHotel, Review Team at MotorCity Casino Hotel at MotorCity Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Tracy,

Thanks for your feedback. Based on your review, it sounds like your reservation was with Skully13. We’d like to apologize for your recent experience at our property. We’ve forwarded your comments to hotel management, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome both of you back soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

1  Thank Skully13
MotorCityCasinoHotel, The Review Team at MotorCity Casino Hotel at MotorCity Casino Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Skully13,

Thanks for your feedback. Based on your review, it sounds like your reservation was with Tracy M. We’d like to apologize for your recent experience at our property. We’ve forwarded your comments to hotel management, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome both of you back soon.