“Very nice staff and good room”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Brooklyn, New York
“Very nice staff and good room”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Clean, great shower, great bed, quiet, and staff that was very helpful. Not an especially exciting part of town, but so be it. Felt, overall, very well appointed, and a cozy haven. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
New York
Reviewed 24 June 2012

When you walk in it looks like a Weston. That of course is not a bad thing, but I expected architectural charm on the inside. It is all tucked away in to the side room/bar which was lovely. I understand this was a massive renovation, but to walk in through such a grand exterior and see Westin modern (and again that is not a bad thing) was disappointing. The people behind the desk were exceptionally friendly and helpful, although some were very new to the city and did not know the way around. (The concierge was not around). Our room was extremely large and well appointed, although you would expect 2 bathrobes rather than 1 in a king size room.
The restaurant Roast was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Des Moines, Washington
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We had a lovely time staying at the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit. The staff there are attentive, and went out of their way to ensure our comfort. When calling the front desk, they always called us by name. This hotel has a great location, downtown within easy walking distance to all of Detroit's sports stadiums. This is a lovely hotel restored to it's glory. We will definately stay there again when we next visit Detroit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryElle
Ashton, MD
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This was my first trip to Detroit and I must admit that this can be a very depressing city. The Westin was very nicely appointed with a very upscale feel. Rooms were large, clean, and fresh.

It is on the edge of some iffy streets with homeless people and some drunks but just be careful where you are headed.

All in all a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 20 June 2012

In the heart of downtown, close to everything. Very large suite !!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
allover
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I chose this because my Mother had been here in it's heyday with it's parisian silks and woods throughout. I'd only been inside before they fixed it up,it looks nice reminds me of NY but quieter. Our neighbor was a legacy,a Book family member from the original Book Cadillac and was thrilled we we staying.
My only complaint~which is a rather big one, is it was pouring when we arrived and the valet..(their job is to open the car door and perhaps have an umbrella and escort the guest to the door) I waited,nothing~opened my Mothers door (btw,she's 92)had to even get our own luggage ~all this while they just stood there under the awning. They did this for every guest that arrived. When I checked out there was one real "motivated" valet, I made sure I gave him my ticket, so he'd get the tip. ps. your Housekeeping staff was awesome though ~so I guess they made up for the valet, seeing as I asked for everything~can't eat pastry from Astoria Pastry Shop out of a box with my fingers. Thanks. We will be back again in August 2012,we love your hotel,perhaps you will have new valet staff. The Friedrichs'

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I mean.....

If you're staying in Detroit, stay here. It's right downtown, 5 minutes from the Canada-US border, cheap when booking on an online booking site and has FANTASTIC customer service, amenities and gigantic rooms with views of the Ambassador Bridge so clear I swear I saw Eminem walking across all like "Detroit, what....Detroit, baby!"

But seriously. It's a Starwood hotel with crazy amenities including a full gym where the equipment wasn't broken or 20 years old (a problem I often encounter while staying away from home), two onsite restaurants and a coffee shop. They also have an indoor pool and hot tub and the most friendly and helpful staff you could ask for.

Sadly there's not much else to do in Detroit, other than peruse the waterfront and let GM loom over you. It's kind of like Gotham City now. Just across the street from this beautiful hotel with fantastic architecture is another beautiful old building, but completely abandoned, with all of the windows smashed in, any fixtures having been looted from it long ago, and nothing really going on. And every other building is in this condition, which is not an exaggeration.

Detroit's mayor suggests that parts of the downtown have been "repatriated" in one of the tourist guides in our room but I beg to differ. I went out, baby and running stroller in tow, for a 6 or 7 K jog and saw decrepit building after decrepit building after decrepit building. There's a significant police presence which I never know what to think about (I might watch The Wire too much people...) and there's a disproportionate number of homeless (or seemingly homeless) people panhandling in the streets, and few other people at all.

We took a quick drive out into the suburbs (mostly so I could take a picture of the 8 Mile Road sign....) and even outside of the core, there are blocks and blocks and blocks (I cannot stress the quantity enough) of abandoned century homes, the kind people engage in bidding wars over here in Toronto, just 5 hours away by car. The disparity is apparent and I assume The Westin Book Cadillac Hotel knows this all too well, which may be why they've done a fantastic job of making their property so easy to stay in. Because you kind of want to once you've ventured out once or twice in the streets.

Anyway, highly recommend it. They were great, really accommodating, fastest valet retrieval of a car I've ever experienced and overall fantastic.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank CharlotteBeebo
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and our staff left you with such a positive impression. Next time you are with us, check in with our Concierge. Detroit is such a large and diverse city that many of our gems are hidden. Our Concierge is excited to help all guests see all the city has to offer. Thank you again.

David W