“Love this place”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We are in Detroit maybe 4 times a year, initially coming down to visit family but now because we have come to love the city. The Westin is the best home base in town - fantastic pool, great bars (Motor Bar, 24 Grille and of course Roast) and always a buzz in the lobby with whatever film shoots may be going on in town being hosted.

Detroit is easy to get to from Toronto. You will need a car in town (the hotel has secure parking). The access choices are either a manageable 4 hour drive, Porter/ Air Canada to Windsor airport (about 15 min from downtown detroit, closer than the Detroit airport is) and rent a car at the airport, or VIA rail to Windsor (about 10 min from downtown) and then taxi across to the hotel. They can arrange for transportation.

Roast is our favourite restaurant in town. The bar area is spectacular and always packed, and the food delicious. I crave the porterhouse and brussels sprouts.

Rooms are nothing spectacular but clean, large, modern and attractive with great beds/linens /bathrooms. Ask for one facing outward - architecture in Detroit is gorgeous and there are some great views. Ask the concierge about things to do and where to go, where to avoid. Biking in Detroit is a fun way to get around town and the city is undergoing rapid change, for the better in the core areas.

Make sure you get into the Guardian building and to the DIA. Amazing.

Room Tip: Facing outward, view of the city
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ron R
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experiences with your fellow TripAdvisor readers. You offer three great tips – biking is great especially along the River Walk where you can rent bikes. The Guardian building and the DIA are must visits. Thank you for your loyalty and we will continue to work hard to provide you we great stays each and every time.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I regularly escape to Detroit (I know, but it's true.. we love the D!!) and our go-to hotel is the Book Cadillac. It is a superb hotel with excellent service. The renos on this hotel are amazing, and true to the hotel's history... it's beautiful from the inside out! We frequently walk or are a short drive to lots of restaurants and other sites.
We love, love, looove the Motor Lounge. I have never been disappointed by one of their cocktails, and my husband and I always laugh with the server when he orders up a "Dirty Blonde" (their blonde beer.) Servers have always been phenomenal and the snacks on the bar menu are to die for. The spot is just so gorgeous that we are so happy to relax there after a day of walking around, visiting and getting to know more of Detroit.
We often order in on the Room Service menu, just as a treat, and it's always delicious, never disappointing. I find that rarely in a hotel, and appreciate that what I am paying is absolutely worth it!
Sincerely, this is a great spot to get away to with your beloved, or even just a respite from a busy schedule.
Thank you Westin for your good work here! We hope to be back again soon! :)

Room Tip: Request a particular view if you want one... it IS downtown Detroit ;)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NostalgiaQueen

Thank you for your excellent review. It is always a joy to hear about our team’s service levels and how our amenities, such as the Motor Bar, are so well enjoyed. We hope to continue to be your pick when visiting The D.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

friendly staff, good crowd (of preppy, business travellers)

negative:
- they make you pay for internet, which comes in 2 versions, and the slower option is painfully slow, much slower than advertised
- ugly stain on daybed, not much of a problem though

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

We are glad you enjoyed your stay dispute the overlook stain and challenges with the internet. We have recently made a sizable investment in upgrading our internet service and are happy to tell you we have worked out the kinks relating to the base service. We look forward to having you back very soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

After years away from downtown Detroit, I was at the Crowne Plaza (formerly Pontchartrain) last month and now at the Book Cadillac this weekend, both for meetings. Westin has done a great job with the old Book Cadillac; service was uniformly top notch, from the door and valet staff through check-in all the way to check-out. The banquet meal we had was good, not "wow" but I don't expect that in a banquet setting. They gave us a very reasonable block room rate. The Sunday brunch in the first floor restaurant (not Roast) was very nicely done, and everything surrounding our meetings (for about 130 folks) was well handled. Downtown Detroit has a lot yet to be done, but walking around in the evenings I found it already feels so much more vibrant and alive than it did 6-7 years ago. Would definitely choose the Westin again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you and welcome back to Detroit. You are correct - the past 6 years have brought great positive change to the downtown area which is now vibrant and getting more so every day. Our culinary team will be delighted to hear your praise of the meal you enjoyed at the meeting. We hope that The Westin Book Cadillac will now be your number one choice when visiting Detroit.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the NHL winter classic. Though my husband was working at the game and I didnt go I found myself with plenty to do in the hotel. I didnt want to leave the hotel because there isnt much to do in downtown Detroit. They have an amazing gym that I was able to use. The restaurant in the hotel (I dont remember the name of it but its the steak house style restaurant) has the best steak I have ever eaten in my life. My mother in law and I watched the game in the lounge bar where we also at lunch. The bartender Dave was incredible! He completely exceeded my expectations. After the game I retired back to my room where I was able to watch some tv in comfort. Overall what a wonderful stay!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Candice L

Thank you for your positive comments and review. We are pleased that you enjoyed Dave’s service, we are lucky to have him in the Motor Bar. We hope if you do return that you will visit our Concierge who will help you find all the great things to do in the D.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Just returning from my nephew's in Detroit Michigan. They had a block of rooms at the Westin Book Cadillac for their wedding guests. The rooms were fabulous, very comfortable and luxurious. Guest services took care of all our wants and needs including parking. They were extremely pleasant and helpful. Location was perfect for enjoying the sites of downtown Detroit which is on it's way back to being a great city. Looking forward to staying there in the future.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pattytime

Thank you for your kind comments. Congratulations to our Nephew. We are pleased that you and the other guests had such pleasant stays and we too look forward to your return to Detroit.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Usually I like this place having stayed here 3 or 4 times. This time was a little off. At check in the desk agent was completely devoid pf personality (it's a nit I know). I did get upgraded which was fine. I don't know if it was the elevator or the keys but there was a bit of a snafu getting the elevator to accept my key. Just wanted to get to my room as it was fairly late. Additionally the key did not give me access to the club lounge as it should have the following morning. Neither of the remotes in the room seemed to work; the TV in the bedroom had sound but no picture. When I called she said I needed to turn the TV off and back on using the button on the TV (whats the use of remote?). It is obviously a known issue so why not fix it. My associate in another room on a lower floor called after dinner to ask for a mini bar key so he could purchase a water bottle. The girl at the desk actually said "we don't stock those for people on the lower floors". She may as well have told him he was of a lower class. She tried to charge a delivery fee to bring the water to his room. (note there was no glass in the room and my associate is handicapped). None of these items alone are a big deal but combined seem to indicate a lack of training and attention to detail.

The final issue I had was a bit out of the ordinary. Some of the rooms, mine included, have these useless benches at the foot of the bed, the ends of which are heavy blocks of wood with sharp edges. When I got up in the middle of the night I bashed my shins so bad that one was gashed and bleeding and the next morning was swollen by an inch or so. I feel stupid for doing that but really why is that obstacle course there in the first place. I mentioned to the desk agent at checkout the next morning and was met with a uh oh sorry. He did give me 500 points (whoopee) but I would have rather not have experienced the leg bashing (still hurts 3 days later).
I will likely stay here again but the real reason I do is for the chance to eat at Roast just off the lobby, owned by Clevelander Michael Symon. Great food!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank beachandflipflops

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your prior stays and are disappointed that the most recent was not indicative of the level of service we continually provide. Please accept our apologies as we obviously we fell short in multiple areas. Your comments are important and I have shared them with our hotel leadership team. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you a stay that is flawless.