“Great if you want to pay high prices for bad service, bad food, and no A/C”

The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked this hotel for an event we were going to in Detroit. We had never been to Detroit before so we didn't know where to stay but this hotel is a 4 star hotel and ranked #4 out of all Detroit hotels so we thought we couldn't go wrong. We definitely went wrong although I am not sure Detroit would have anything better to offer. The staff at the hotel, in person were all nice and friendly but over the phone they were rude and unhelpful. Once we got to our room it was 80 degrees and the air conditioner did not work. We called immediately to have it fixed and then went to our event. Upon arriving back to our room it was still 80 degrees and we were told that we would need to move rooms at 11:30 at night in which we had to wake up the kids, pack our stuff, and move. Luckily our new room had A/C. We asked if there was a soda machine, water machine, ice machine, or anything in the entire hotel where we could buy something to drink. We were told we could either walk 2 blocks down the street that was covered with bums at this time or we could order a can of soda for $4 plus $3 delivery and 20% service charge. No, I'm not joking. They were serious. By this time we were starving because there is no where to eat in Detroit apparently. The hotel has restaurants but only if you are willing to pay 30 plus a plate so we decided to just go ahead and order room service. It was overpriced and absolutely terrible. It was freezing cold but that is probably because it took an hour to get to our room. Once it finally got there they had forgot some of our food and they wouldn't split our check half cash/half credit without charging us $3 additional to do it. If you need wifi plan on spending 14.95 to use it because that is not included either. There is no continental breakfast. The rooms are small. The only good thing I can say is that the hotel is clean and easy to get to. For the price of the hotel I expect more. I have staying in cheaper hotels with a lower rating that would blow this place out of the water. The Westin Book Cadillac look nice but they do not take any extra steps to make you comfortable during your stay. Actually they do everything to make you uncomfortable and have no apologies about it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank charmedlife357
Westin_Book_Cadillac, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Please accept our apologies for not being able to provide you a satisfactory stay. If you wish to discuss your stay I would be happy to hear from you. You can contact me at westin.bookcadillac@westin.com.

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed on Friday. easy to find off main interstate for us "out of towners". Huge room - no view (looked into courtyard) but who cares as only use it to sleep in. Found empty water bottle and key hair under bed-when was the last time they vacuumed there?
Hubby did some work on laptop as rest of family used pool. Very nice". Good breakfast and quick walk to stadium.
Perfect!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nice hotel. Customer service/communication stinks. I stayed at this hotel for a trade show, and booked this official show hotel through the event website. When I arrived and asked at check-in if there was a shuttle to the convention center, the clerk said she thought so because other travelers had mentioned it, but that she didn't know. I asked, "Aren't you an official show hotel?" She said, "Yes, but they don't give us that information." She later asked what time I thought I'd be checking out, "so housekeeping doesn't disturb you." I told her 9 a.m. Guess who was knocking on my door at 8:30 a.m. the next day? Yes, housekeeping. Finally, I realized about 5 p.m. that I had left my iPhone charger plugged in next to the bed and immediately called the hotel. I was put through to the concierge's voicemail. I left a message, expecting him to call me back the next day. When he didn't call back in two days, I called again and was again put through to his voicemail. I called back and asked to speak to an actual human. The operator took a message for me. No one has EVER called back. The rooms are surprisingly large for a historic hotel and the heavenly bed is nice, but I will never stay here again. (By the way, you don't have to use the valet service. I parked in the public garage right next door. The hotel will validate your ticket for a reduced overnight rate.)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kristen S

Thank you for your review. We are sorry for service challenges you faced during your stay. This is certainly not what our guest expect nor is it what we expect of ourselves. Your comments have been shared with the hotel leadership. We can assure you that if you are will us again your stay will be more indicative of the high level of service we have become know for.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here around 2009 not long after it reopened for the North American International Auto Show down the street (walkable). Exquisitely restored, it's gorgeous now. Such cool history with guests like JFK and the steps were Lou Gehrig collapsed before the Tigers game which ended his historic record of consecutive games played. We walked to the Auto Show, to dinner on Woodward at Hockeytown Cafe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DC-Christopher
Reviewed 16 August 2014

As I booked a stay at this hotel but I was not able to actually be there, my review cannot give a feedback on the hotel itself but I will definitively do on the service that I have received from the management.
By mistake I booked online two different kinds of room for the two nights that my wife and I were supposed to spend there. When I realized my mistake I contacted Westin and explained it to the person in charge. She was extremely kind and able to adjust my mistake in the best possible way.
A few days after, I got a situation that made impossible for us to actually visit Detroit. I contacted again Westin and explained it for them. Once again they were accommodating, helpful and professional, even stretching the rules in order to satisfy my request of cancellation.
If they have such an exceptional level of customer service, I am sure that the stay at Westin Book Cadillac Detroit must be a fantastic experience in every other aspect. Thank you guys!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel rooms are nice but customer service is terrible. I have never been able to get to speak to them over missing personal items. I stayed for 5 days and paid full price and yet, customer service is terrible. No refrigerator, microwave and staff is stingy with replacing lotions etc.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 671aravindm

We are sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay. With regards to refrigerators (other than the refreshment station in your room) and microwaves (which are not standard in any room), we do offer these on a per request basis. We hope that to have another opportunity to provide you a better service experience, on that is more typical of what we provide guests each day.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Homeless people followed us for blocks. I didn't have a decent meal the whole time we were downtown. The AC was not working correctly in our room. Surprisingly the AC wasn't working properly in my inlaws room either. Windows were filthy but the rooms were clean. Beds were comfortable. The hotel REQUIRES you to use the valet parking. The wait to check your car with a valet is like an hour and a half. And forget luggage carts. They are no place to be found. I'm not comfortable using a valet (thanks Ferris Bueller!). What the Westin didn't tell us is that the valet is a third party vendor and the hotel will not cover the damages to your vehicle. I felt this is misleading at best since they wear a uniform that indicates they are backed by the hotel. This actually happened to one of the couples we were traveling with. We all used the required valet parking. However the valet did not park our friends new Cadillac in the hotel parking garage. They found their car on blocks missing all 4 tires and rims. The hotel said they were not responsible because it's a third party vendor....that wears their uniform and is required to be used by the hotel. By the way, the third party valet did not pay for the damages either. What kind of set up is that? I have no idea but that was out last stay at the westin.

Room Tip: The Westin charges $429 for a standard room. That does not include $14.95 for wifi that you can get...