“Very nice hotel, excellent value, but service could use improvement”

The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC
“Very nice hotel, excellent value, but service could use improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2006

I stayed two nights at this hotel in mid-September 2006. Rates were very reasonable. If booking on westin.com remember to check for special offers because for the weekend I was there they had rates from $79-99. I ended up booking on Priceline to save a little and got it for $70/night. The hotel is located in the Northwest terminal of the airport. Decor is chic, Asian-inspired (bamboo "forest" in the lobby), dark, and spare. Cookies at the checkin desk were a nice touch. Front desk staff were young and clearly inexperienced, but polite and friendly. Ordering room service from the "service express" staff was a trial. Wines are not listed on the in-room menu and upon inquiry as to what white wines were available by the glass the reply was, "We have Benziger." I asked what kind of Benziger (chardonnay? sauvignon blanc?) and was placed on hold. The answer turned out to be "$11 per glass." Hmm. I declined and chose a split of sparkling wine from the minibar instead for the bargain price of $10. The caesar salad with shrimp was good and arrived quickly. Bed was very comfy and the granite bathroom was spotless. Room 508 overlooked the roof of the terminal so view was nothing to write home about, but the room was very quiet. Ordering room service breakfast the next morning was another experience. An inquiry as to what kind of breakfast pastries were available was apparently too challenging, as was the question, "what kind of fresh fruit do you have?" However, the food, when it finally arrived, was fine, and the fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice was excellent. My Dema wrap sandwich that evening was also good. Room service was spendy as it is everywhere (no matter what you order your bill is going to end up being at least $25), but no more so than expected by anyone who travels regularly. Checkout was quick and easy. In short, a very good, convenient hotel with excellent room rates and service that needs improvement.

• Liked — convenient location at airport and inexpensive room price
  • Disliked — "Service Express" staff didn't know anything about room service food or wine offerings
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room on a high floor away from the elevator with an exterior view
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank lisak12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cocoa Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2006

Actually, my initial impression of this hotel was that it would end up being one of the best hotels - ever. Decor is extremely tasteful and modern, while the staff members definitely know a few things when it comes to professionalism, and putting the customer at ease. Upon being escorted to my room I was told, among other things "we have over 400 soundproof rooms". I can tell you that I didn't sleep a wink. My room was anything but soundproof, located right across from an elevator. All night long, every time the elevator arrived at my floor, a stiking "F" ( I am a musician with so-called "perfect pitch") could be heard loud and clear.

So - there it is - I can not recommend a hotel that claims to be soundproof, when it is anything but. If I don't sleep, the hotels star rating becomes irrelevant. The allure of decor and amenities can quickly fade in such a scenario.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank flipperpie
Seattle, Wa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2006

Stayed at this Property for one night (July 31) with my wife and two children (3 and 6 months). Stayed here due to an AM departure the next day. This property is amazing. Incredibly convenient for travelers (even us wtih small children) and the service was amazing.

Front of hotel is on the airport drive at the end of the NW terminal (arrivals). Arrived with a rental car and the bellman helped us unload our rig and temporarily keep the car out front (for 30 minutes, no charge) while I checked our family in. Returned the rental car with no issues.

Check in was smooth and effortless. Asked for a room with a view of the planes and recieved one on the 4th floor. The room was fantastic. Two heavinly beds, and a heavinly crib (not porta crib, a real crib). Asked for a high chair and it was delivered immediatly.

Bathroom was excellent as was the room size. I love the heavinly shower and in room amenities. In room coffee maker was bonus that I did not expect..Mini-bar was fully stocked, although we did not purchase anything from it. Did notice that someone had drained a few beers wtihout opening the top and put them back in the fridge...I left them in the back as I found them and notifed the front desk at check out.

We ate the the Restaurant in the lobby. Great service and decent food with an asian flare. This and room service are your only option for food if you are not leaving the property. Can't get to the food in the terminal unless you have a boarding pass.

Used the pool with my three year old and had a blast. Hot tub looked a little beat up and low on water but not an issue. Workout room looked in great shape, but didn't use it.

Only draw back was that we departed from the Smith Terminal and had to take the Terminal to Terminal shuttle in the morning. It comes every 10 mintues or so. The property would have been off the charts if we were flying NW or out of the Mclarren terminal. Check in and security screening can be done right by the front desk.

Overall I would for sure stay here again. Simply for convenience, high class style and comfort this property gets an A+. Great job Westin on this one.

• Liked — Location to Airport and high class style
  • Disliked — Limited food options--$$$$'s
  • Tips/Secrets — try and book with an airline that used the same terminal.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Donald D
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2006

I stayed at the Westin DTW for one night 30 June. Check-in was very fast and I loved the airport exit to the hotel directly off the A concourse. The "heavenly" bed was indeed heavenly, and I slept very well with little airport noise. The hotel decor is asian modern an very clean looking. Pool was nice (but small) and the spa-whilrpool was only warm. Definitely recommend! I was through the dedicated security to the airport in about 2 minutes!

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2006

I am a Hilton HHONORS Diamond and a Marriott Reward Gold member - I stay in ALOT of hotels all the time. You'd think my favorite hotel would be a boutique hotel or a top-tier hotel (W, Ritz, Four Seasons), but I have to say, this Westin is my favorite hotel. Period.

Why? Rooms are upgraded, clean and the bedsand showers are fantastic (heaven bed? dream bed? I forget what they call it). The lobby is inviting (feng shui?) and the people are helpful. But it is the small things that make a difference for the business traveller. I've stayed here 6 times, and each time has been problem-free and usually leaving me better off than I arrived...
- Originally planning to go home, I had an unexpected meeting the next day. I arrived late at night (1am) with no clean clothes. The front desk person took the shirt off my back and had my shirt cleaned and pressed for 7am the next morning - no charge. (Nicely tip the bellman who brings it to you!)
- I arrived from Asia late with a connection in the morning. The front desk person saw how exhausted I was and upgraded me to a suite on the executive floor (I booked a basic room). They had a hostess bring me a quick breakfast the next morning with a note from the manager hoping my short sleep was revitalizing.
- I woke up and had a meeting from my room that ran late. I called the concierge who checked me into my NWA flight and checked me out of the hotel. He had my ticket ready as I ran out. The direct entrance to the airport was also a big time saver.

All in all, this is a great hotel...

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
7 Thank mmmanic
Grand Blanc, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2006

Great hotel. Booked it online for an early morning flight out of metro airport. The beds were the best hotel beds I have ever slept on. The showers were fantastic as well. Plus, I had a cool outside view to the tarmac where I could watch planes pull up to and leave the gate.

Pricing seems to be hit and miss. I booked it for $80 online (a fantastic bargin) when I stayed. However, 5 months later, I had a late international arrival at the airport and wanted to stay the night before driving home. For the same room, the price was $240 (way too expensive).

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank spartanfan2006
Northville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2006

Couldn’t be happier with this hotel, what you should expect from the Westin. The hotel itself is beautiful, the lobby is amazing. Even though this hotel is on airport property I didn’t even notice much plane noise. We were checked in and out in a matter of minutes, everyone was exceptionally friendly. Making this hotel even better was the $79 a night deal I got off priceline. I very highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2005