“Hit all the marks”

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Hamilton, Canada
“Hit all the marks”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 days while three of us saw a hockey game at Joe Louis followed up by a Lions game on Sunday. Staff were more than friendly, from Curtis who met us at the front door, a personable guy who gave us the lowdown on getting around to our events to the front desk boss who was good enough to reissue a breakfast voucher to me after it somehow got misplaced during the check-in process. The rooms were very clean , bathroom was awesome and the suite
was very large allowing our third party in our group to finish up some university assignments during our down time while still giving us enough room for others to chill and hang out in the other part of the suite.
Had a great buffet brunch on Sunday at the hotel restaurant before the trip to Ford Field which is only a short walk up the street. The Atheneum is also located right inside the heart of the Greektown District allowing us to be close to other restaurants and bars within easy walking distance.
This is an excellent choice if you want a hotel that is close to everything downtown and offers well above average amenities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Great location, literally across the street from greektown casino and people mover, safe area considering it is Detroit. Lots of police and people around, lively spot. Hotel was nice and clean, front desk was prompt and courteous. Valet parking is the only option if you dont park at the casino.. besides the hotel hallways being a little outdated I have no complaints!

• Stayed November 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here for a business trip. I really do love Detroit. Despite all the city's flaws, its one of my favorite cities to go to for business. The people always seem very knowledgeable and the staff at this hotel is no exception to the rule. The hotel to me however, just seemed a little tired. The building from the outside does not resemble a hotel. The staff, as good as they are work very hard with what they have. The hotel inside on its own looks very nice. The room itself, since its an all suites hotel was very large, and well equipped. Some of the furnishings were broken, and there was a couple holes in one of the walls where there must have been a picture hanging. You would think they would quickly patch that up. The the walls and windows seemed a little thin as well. You could hear the people next door, street noise, and music playing in the bar. For what I needed the place for, the location could not be better. Would be a great place to stay for a football game or baseball game as the stadiums are close by. Greektown casino is behind the hotel so there is a fair bit of action going on near by. The hotel I believe only offers valet parking, but there is a parking garage across the street, and they do have a shuttle that will take you to where you need to go. Comes in handy since like many other American cities, taxi service in Detroit is horrible. The Greektown people mover station is behind the hotel as well adjacent to the casino.
Since the company I work for booked this hotel for me, I would probably not choose to stay here next time I am in the area. I would not say its a poor property, as I said before the staff here is great, the hotel is too noisy to do work and be comfortable

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a Saturday night while we were in town for a Red Wings game. The hotel was easy to find in Greektown and close to restaurants, casinos, nightlife and public transportation.

The hotel is beautiful inside, the rooms are huge and nicely appointed. The staff are very friendly and helpful. the hotel also offers shuttle service within 5 miles of the hotel.

The hotel only has valet parking but there is a parking structure across the street.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have lived in the Detroit area all of my life however, I have never had a chance to stay at this hotel. I must say this is one of the finest hotels I have visited. Just thinking about the other hotels I've visited this one ranks at the top of my list. The rooms are truly worth every dollar. The service was top notch. I will make a point to visit this hotel again very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators, higher rooms gives you a better view of the city at night.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Pinckney, Michigan
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed here for a banquet function this past weekend. The rooms we nice size, clean, although big holes in wall of bathroom where a picture obviously was ripped from the wall and never replaced..they are all suites in this place. One huge thing to request is upper floor. The area right outside of your room is a loft style down to the lobby so it was SO LOUD from the bars below. I mean, we were three floors up and the floor vibrated from the music two stories below. The windows are not well insulated for sound either. I heard it through ear plugs.

If you are going for their banquet function, the food was great, service good.

Our biggest issue behind the noisiness at night was the valet lost our car. We literally stood outside in the cold for 45 minutes. We saw the guy running back and forth and talking about an issue but nobody bothered to inform us. Other patrons came and went. When a finally approached a valet guy, he said they couldn't find our car but a guy was looking. One of the four guys doing is job. Why they didn't make it priority one to find ours I'm not sure! One unhappy customer versus many if they use multiple guys to look? I asked for the hotel mgr who showed then disappeared. Finally our car was found and not stolen with zero apologies or concessions. It was very never wracking to say the least. Would I say here again? The jury is out..... For the price they've got some customer service issues to improve upon.

Room Tip: Definitely high floors for sound elimination.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Coronado, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

They had the best prices downtown when I was looking to be in town for business. The location is great. Greektown is around the corner. The staff was really friendly and there's a quick valet service.

The building and rooms are really well designed, they look really grand. However the building was made really cheap and is showing ware. Scratched up elevators, cheap floors that squeak when you walk. Worn towels.

I stayed here instead of the casino hotel across the street because they say fitness center. It was just cardio equipment, which is fine, but like the rest of the hotel was pretty worn out or looked on the verge of breaking. (in fact one of the 2 treadmills was out of order all week)

All that said, I will stay here again. For the money it's convenient and great. But if you're looking for a luxury or more refined experience I'd try the greektown casino hotel, Westin Book or the MGM grand.

Room Tip: Request a room facing south or west higher than the 7th floor and there's a little view of the c...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business