The Atheneum
US$229
US$200
US$194
US$184
All reviewsgreektown casinoglass blockfishbones restaurantsitting roombedroom arealarge bathroomfree shuttledeep tubpeople movervalet parkingford fieldflat screencontinental breakfastshuttle servicehotel shuttlebeautiful hotelthe entire hotel
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Quick valets who had personality, good front desk staff, and good location, especially if you're going to a ball game. They knew what spots to go to for the things we wanted (I just can't stand it when the staff does not know the area!!!!! - which was not the case here). Room (2 room suite) was huge and at a great price with a wet bar (yay!) which was also reasonable :)
Bathroom was quite nice and all in all it all went dow without a hitch…y'all.
Close to casino, restaurants and easy to get to from i-94.

I'd def. stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here on a 1 night business trip to Detroit and had a good stay at the Atheneum. When I arrived I was a little fearful that I had traveled back in time to the late 80's. However, I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the upkeep and overall cleanliness of a hotel that is obviously dated. They've done a good job with what they have. My room was in surprisingly good shape given the age of many of the features.
Good points included: Free wifi, huge room with a separate living room area, really clean, good price, comfy bed, friendly staff, great location in Greektown within walking distance of everything.
Not so good: Room was pretty dark, a little stuffy, mini-bar had not been refilled to include water, and no other water options in the room, and a lot of noise from the hallway when in the living room area.
Overall, would recommend this for those looking for value, space, and location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night seeing a Tigers game July 1st. I have high standards, and this hotel was a good choice.

Pros:

Large, clean rooms. Very friendly staff. Proximity to Greektown restaurants and the parks. Comerica/Ford Field a very easy safe walk.

Cons: rooms skimpy on towels and other necessities (i.e. no conditioner). No restaurant on site but Fishbones is attached and is excellent. No store or anywhere to pick up sundries on site.

Overall a good choice for us to see the Tigers play. And they won!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank J1Saylor
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed there for one night while visiting Detroit. As soon as you walk in, the lobby is spectacular. The staff is all so friendly and professional. Our room was the Deluxe Suite with a living area, luxurious bathroom, and a spacious bedroom. We loved every bit of the hotel and our room. The location of the hotel was perfect. It was a short walk from everything! I work in a five-star hotel on the strip in Las Vegas and I prefer this hotel the hotel I work at because of the level of service we received, the fantastic room, and the short walk to everything we wanted to do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a couple days, the room was big and clean but I didn't like it's set up. The bathroom had a glass wall that looked into the bed room, you couldn't see anything but the light would shine through and disturb whoever was sleeping. Plus, the entire hotel was hot, the rooms air conditioner was too small to cool off the entire thing, we asked for someone to check in on it but no one ever did. The hotels staff was very friendly, they and the location made up for everything else. Greek town has a lot of food choices, plus it's not that far from the baseball field if you want to catch a game. It's also right near the Greek town casino, but I would recommend taking a shuttle to the MGM, it's a much nicer casino.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business