Comfort Inn Downtown Detroit
US$229
US$200
US$194
US$184
All reviewsnight managershuttle serviceminute drivestayed two nightslions gameford fieldcomerica parkandreproximitycanadagreektown
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a great get away place,From when I checked in till I left.The stay was simply great
I checked in on the 3rd, and left on the 5th. And thay had a brand new ford van for there guests
plus taxi service 24 hrs.the price was reasonable..You have to check this hotel out.. For a great get away without doing your budgit in.. so welcome....

Room Tip: Make your reservation at least 2 days in advance of checking in.....
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I often stay in very low-budget hotels/motels/inns when I travel. All I stayed in while I was in Europe were hostels, and they were a 5-star compared to this place.

I'll start by saying that the staff are great. The guys who were working behind the desk when I checked in were very friendly and helpful. I completely understand that it's not their fault and this review is in no way a reflection on them. This is directed at the owners of the hotel, who very much need to update this place with new carpets, bleach and fresh paint. That's all it takes!

Good points about the hotel: the beds were comfortable. The air conditioner worked. I liked that our big window slid open. It's very close to downtown. It's affordable if you just need a place to crash for the night. The internet, at least when we were there, worked just fine... but you'll have to call the front desk to retrieve the wifi password.

And on to the bad...

The main reason I booked this hotel is because it advertises a free shuttle service to/from Cobo Hall on the booking website. We were in town for a concert at Joe Louis, so this seemed perfect for the price. We get there and ask about it as we're checking in and are told the shuttle isn't available. I drove all the way from Midland, Ontario. I spent enough money (not to mention time trying to track down an appropriate place) just to get down to Detroit, so that's the kind of thing that would prompt me to give a negative review online. False advertising in order to attract clientele is a very low business tactic.

The other reviewers aren't kidding when they say how gross this place is on the inside... in fact, they're so on the mark with their points that I wonder if they were in the same room as I was. The smell was repulsive... like stale sweaty everything that had never been frebrezed or aired out. The first thing I did was walk over to the window and slide it right open, and I left it that way all day and night... and it still didn't help. At least they had remote controls, even if they didn't work. Our TV didn't even have one. I walked into the bathroom and called out to my niece "Well at least the bathroom is clean. Oh... wait..." which is when I noticed black mould growing along the base of the wall, and a yellow ring in the tub. The hairdryer didn't work, so thank god one of us brought one. The coffeemaker was dirty and the inside covered in dust, which was kind of a bummer when we woke up and missed the breakfast and just wanted a cup of joe. Not like I could brew one anyway - it didn't come with any filters, although it had two packets of coffee.

I didn't notice if the carpets were clean. I didn't notice if the beds had stains, like the others are saying. I did wake up with bite marks though, which I had just assumed was from mosquitos... maybe not. I don't even want to entertain the idea of what it could have been.

The location is in a bad area. I didn't even feel safe walking around in broad daylight. I understand this isn't something the hotel can really change; it was probably built at a time when Detroit was booming. But, like most of the city, it's in a run-down area. Take cabs or drive yourself (which you'll have to do anyway, since there likely won't be a shuttle). On that note, although parking is free, it's not in a secured lot - and in this area, it should be. I was certain when I woke up that I'd find my car had been broken into, and certainly relieved when it wasn't.

This hotel must make a fortune off all the events that are held in downtown - particularly Cobo Hall & Joe Louis Arena. And given the conditions of the rooms, it's clear that they're understaffed... which means more money saved. So there's really no excuse not to upgrade.

Bottom line... if the hotel adjusted its online booking write-ups to accurately reflect what people are to expect when they come (ie: shuttle schedule), and put a little more care in to the facilities, it would be your average low-budget 2-star hotel that most would find suitable. Until then... plan for parking or cab fare, and bring a set of linens. And a can of Febreze.

Room Tip: I don't know that there are any.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Teezy
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The best part about staying at the Regency for the second year in a row was the shuttle service. Our shuttle driver Andre was very dependable, knowledgable and personable. He was on time, went out of his way to help us with directions, dealt with complicated pick-up and drop off for the grand prix, provided great conversation and a first hand history lesson about the great city of Detroit. We felt safe, and appreciated. Andre is a shining example of what Detroit has to offer. We have never had a better experience in a big city. No pressure, honest and sincere. Thank you Andre and thank you Detroit for a great racing experience on Belle Isle.

Room Tip: Please talk to the staff if you have a problem. Our door had issues. Staff fixed it within minutes. No problem, great weekend. Cleaning staff were helpful with extras. Extra towels not a problem. A/C was good. Lots of hello's and good morning's from staff. Manager went out of his way to get us where we needed to go.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Art G
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Had a great experience while staying at the Detroit Regency for Movement weekend. The staff was VERY hospitable and accommodating. What you see is what you get but it's definitely worth what you pay. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to stay in downtown Detroit that's on a budget. Give them a shot and support Detroit!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kobro
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Pictures of rooms were misleading. We had to change rooms. The first room had a window that was a block glass window. The air conditioner did not work. The room was very musty. The television remote only turned the tv on and was a very old style. The bathroom had long black hair on the floor. Our room was changed with no problem except for the fact we had to have a smaller bed. The air did work and so did the tv. We did not get logged on to the internet we tried with 3 different devices. The bathroom again had the black hair on the floor.The fitness room was under renovations as it has been for some years. The only door you could enter was the main lobby. You could get out other ones just couldn't use your key to get back in. The beds were good enough. We didn't bother to go to breakfast. On our way out we did see cereal, milk and juice and some cut up pieces of a banana bread. If you are just looking for a cheap place for one night this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple