“You get what you pay for”

Comfort Inn Downtown Detroit
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed 29 January 2014

If you are looking for a cheap(er) hotel to stay at with absolutely no frills, then this is your place. Very little of the amenities work or even exist. The bed luckily had clean sheets, but that was about it for cleanliness in the room. I avoided sitting on the chairs in the room as they had a variety of stains adorning them. If you are coming to Detroit on business, think about having a backup workspace as there was only one open outlet outside of the bathroom and the WiFi is spotty at best. Although minor in the scheme of things, the hangars weren't strong enough to hold anything beyond a shirt. (not that the closet was deep enough to fit anything anyway) So everything stayed in my suitcase. The area around the hotel seemed safe enough, but the glass-enclosed front desk is a bit jarring to see when you check in. The shower was clean and the water was hot, but pretty much no water pressure. On the plus side, I checked my room every night for bedbugs and never found any. Plus the staff (though very few in number and unavailable) were quite kind when I could find them. Of the advertised amenities that existed, they actually do have a morning breakfast, which was fine. And they also offered a surprisingly frequent shuttle service to the Cobo Center for the auto show during the press preview.

Room Tip: You should probably ask to stay on the upper floors if you're concerned about noise. Also, the A...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank NYreporter2014

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was a terrible experience for the money!! I understand it was New Years Eve and everyone jacks up the prices!! But you have to have the establishment to back that price hike up!! $200.00 for a dirty, filthy, hair infested room!! The bed was a king size and broken in the middle, good luck sleeping on that!! Our lamps didn't work unless we wanted to crawl under the bed and plug in the extension cord, REALLY??? Our friends room had blood on the floor under the sink. Other customers were complaining of dirty stained up bedding. Let talk about the "free" shuttle they offer. An 8 person van CANNOT accommodate 300 guests.. What a joke!! we had to take a cab to and from... Thank you for leaving us stranded!! I called the hotel several times asking for shuttle service but they couldn't pick us up. They only pick up from one location and we couldn't find it. Thanks for that info before we left!! So frustrating!! It was zero degrees outside and the employee is telling me "Ma'am, use your brain and figure out your own way back"... I was NOT HAPPY!! Not to mention we were freezing and also in downtown Detroit!! UGH!!!.......
Had I paid a reasonable amount of money I could have dealt with this. But the fact it cost $394.00 for 2 crappy rooms plus cab fair...... NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You do not have the right to charge such prices!! I certainly will never go back!!
We complained of our stay to the night man. Of course he couldn't do anything. Another man did come to me later and apologize for everything and offered us back our cab fair. I was thankful for that. I realize they are only employees and probably cannot do much with a manager. They are probably also aware of the crappy hotel services!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank catekane73
Reviewed 28 December 2013

DO NOT BOOK with the Detroit Regency Hotel.

We pre-booked a New Years stay almost a year in advance here, only to find out a couple days before arrival that our reservation would not be honored at the price we booked at. We were 'offered' a new deal at almost twice the price as our original booking. Quickly took our business elsewhere in downtown Detroit...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SDF560
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I was quite apprehensive about going to Detroit, given that you don't see or hear many positive images of this city in the news. I had business in downtown Detroit, and I was driving my own car there.
Initially, I made a reservation in one of the large chain hotels, right in the heart of the downtown area. Somehow, though, I found the Regency, which was half the price *and* offered free parking. Big bonus! So I decided to give the Regency a try.
Lucky choice!
I had a very clean, comfortable, spacious room -- and everything worked! (air conditioning, microwave, TV, and fridge)
Andre was very courteous and friendly; happy to give me a ride on the shuttle, and recommended a wonderful restaurant for me (Royal BBQ, by the way)
Rose was very, very sweet about cleaning up my spills, letting me stay a little past checkout time, wishing me safe travels -- and calling me "dear".
Joe was exceptionally helpful in giving me walking and driving directions, suggesting places to visit (go to Windsor for a good meal!) Joe urged me to enjoy the Riverwalk, which was just lovely; and he helped me figure out how to get to the Motown Museum (Hitsville, USA) which is not to be missed.

I felt very safe in the neighborhood; didn't worry about my car or belongings. Downtown is about 1 and 1/4 or 1 and 1/2 miles away, a fairly easy walk and again, I felt perfectly safe walking there in daylight hours.

A couple of small minuses: breakfast was nice on the second morning of my stay. The first morning, when I had to leave early on business, breakfast wasn't ready at the stated time, so I missed out.
Also: I was concerned about getting downtown for my morning meeting. I asked the front desk the night before about lining up a cab, but they assured me that it was an easy cab ride, "$5 and 5 minutes", and told me that they'd call a cab for me in the morning. So the following morning, I asked the front desk to call a cab for me about 40 minutes before I actually needed it. They said they called three times, but no cab was forthcoming. Someone happened to arrive at the hotel by cab just when I was starting to bite my nails. I jumped in, and didn't ask any questions when the cab driver charged me $10.

All things considered, my stay in Detroit was a pleasant surprise, and the Regency was a big part of making it so enjoyable. The city declared bankruptcy a few days after I visited there. I'm not sure how that could have happened; I felt like I did my part to stimulate the local economy ;o) I'd be happy to go back and help them out some more!

Room Tip: I stayed kind of in the back of the hotel. No view, but a nice quiet room. Sometimes hard to fin...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ComradeCamper
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was my first visit in 30+ years to Detroit. My daughter and I were there for a concert at Ford Field. The staff was great, the room was awesome and I felt very safe!!!!! The shuttle driver was a great guy, he made us feel very comfortable. From our 3rd floor there was no road noise which is good for me since I can't sleep well in the cities because of the noise. Would definitely stay there again if I ever decide to go back to Detroit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CountryBumpkin49625
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a great get away place,From when I checked in till I left.The stay was simply great
I checked in on the 3rd, and left on the 5th. And thay had a brand new ford van for there guests
plus taxi service 24 hrs.the price was reasonable..You have to check this hotel out.. For a great get away without doing your budgit in.. so welcome....

Room Tip: Make your reservation at least 2 days in advance of checking in.....
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I often stay in very low-budget hotels/motels/inns when I travel. All I stayed in while I was in Europe were hostels, and they were a 5-star compared to this place.

I'll start by saying that the staff are great. The guys who were working behind the desk when I checked in were very friendly and helpful. I completely understand that it's not their fault and this review is in no way a reflection on them. This is directed at the owners of the hotel, who very much need to update this place with new carpets, bleach and fresh paint. That's all it takes!

Good points about the hotel: the beds were comfortable. The air conditioner worked. I liked that our big window slid open. It's very close to downtown. It's affordable if you just need a place to crash for the night. The internet, at least when we were there, worked just fine... but you'll have to call the front desk to retrieve the wifi password.

And on to the bad...

The main reason I booked this hotel is because it advertises a free shuttle service to/from Cobo Hall on the booking website. We were in town for a concert at Joe Louis, so this seemed perfect for the price. We get there and ask about it as we're checking in and are told the shuttle isn't available. I drove all the way from Midland, Ontario. I spent enough money (not to mention time trying to track down an appropriate place) just to get down to Detroit, so that's the kind of thing that would prompt me to give a negative review online. False advertising in order to attract clientele is a very low business tactic.

The other reviewers aren't kidding when they say how gross this place is on the inside... in fact, they're so on the mark with their points that I wonder if they were in the same room as I was. The smell was repulsive... like stale sweaty everything that had never been frebrezed or aired out. The first thing I did was walk over to the window and slide it right open, and I left it that way all day and night... and it still didn't help. At least they had remote controls, even if they didn't work. Our TV didn't even have one. I walked into the bathroom and called out to my niece "Well at least the bathroom is clean. Oh... wait..." which is when I noticed black mould growing along the base of the wall, and a yellow ring in the tub. The hairdryer didn't work, so thank god one of us brought one. The coffeemaker was dirty and the inside covered in dust, which was kind of a bummer when we woke up and missed the breakfast and just wanted a cup of joe. Not like I could brew one anyway - it didn't come with any filters, although it had two packets of coffee.

I didn't notice if the carpets were clean. I didn't notice if the beds had stains, like the others are saying. I did wake up with bite marks though, which I had just assumed was from mosquitos... maybe not. I don't even want to entertain the idea of what it could have been.

The location is in a bad area. I didn't even feel safe walking around in broad daylight. I understand this isn't something the hotel can really change; it was probably built at a time when Detroit was booming. But, like most of the city, it's in a run-down area. Take cabs or drive yourself (which you'll have to do anyway, since there likely won't be a shuttle). On that note, although parking is free, it's not in a secured lot - and in this area, it should be. I was certain when I woke up that I'd find my car had been broken into, and certainly relieved when it wasn't.

This hotel must make a fortune off all the events that are held in downtown - particularly Cobo Hall & Joe Louis Arena. And given the conditions of the rooms, it's clear that they're understaffed... which means more money saved. So there's really no excuse not to upgrade.

Bottom line... if the hotel adjusted its online booking write-ups to accurately reflect what people are to expect when they come (ie: shuttle schedule), and put a little more care in to the facilities, it would be your average low-budget 2-star hotel that most would find suitable. Until then... plan for parking or cab fare, and bring a set of linens. And a can of Febreze.

Room Tip: I don't know that there are any.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends