“Super, Grand, Loved the Kirby House”
Review of The Kirby

The Kirby
Ranked #3 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
Chicago, IL
“Super, Grand, Loved the Kirby House”
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Both my partner and I needed a break form the Chicago buzz, my partner Mike told me to find the place, I chose the Kirby House over the others because it had the warmth and charm that indeed made it superior to all the others. The house was imaculate, the landscaping, very lush and colorfull. The wrap around porch including a porch swing gave one the feeling of truly being home.
The Hosts, Jim and Ray each offer the special talents they have, Jim being the host he is, who stopped at nothing to make sure your stay was above your expectation, Ray, with his culinary talents made sure seating was approriate, and on time as 10am the bell rings and my tastebuds stood at attention.
The pool deck area was exceptional, everything required was thought thru for our convenience, towels, chairs, pool toys, including a hot tub which made for a relaxing end to the day.
Jim always made himself available, and would join his guests at the pool for conversation and just being his overall friendly self. Ray made sure every plant was blooming, watered and a view to be seen, especially the roses which would adorn tables create such a wonderful old world atmosphere.
I was sad to depart, but will certainly make Kirby House, my second home on the western shore of Lake Michigan. Thanks again for a restful, relaxing stay. Steve, Chicago, IL

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeJM
TheKirbyHouse, Owner at The Kirby, responded to this review, 22 August 2008
Steve and Mike:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and to see your smiling faces every morning. We truly do hope you will return for another stay with us!

Jim Gowran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2008

It's okay. Just okay. The house is dark and gloomy like the owners. There is a palpable unhappiness. If this is supposed to be a joyful occasion, it's not. The room was sufficiently smaller than your smallest swinging cat and the bed was obviously an instrument of torture in the 19th century. The pool is reasonably clean and the breakfast edible. I'd give Saugatuck a miss entirely and go to the beach elsewhere. It's only charm is the treacherous drive through road construction from Chicago. Saugatuck itself is a mis-mash of really, really bad art galleries and over-priced, deep-fried food. On the food note, if anyone suggests you go to "Everyday People's Cafe" remind yourself that for $100 you don't want to be "everyday" and run the other way.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank Wudja
TheKirbyHouse, Owner at The Kirby, responded to this review, 9 August 2008
I love Trip Advisor because of the candid and unbiased reviews. I think that reading ALL reviews of my establishment will give an individual a real sense of Kirby House. So far most of the reviews this user has posted about other establishments all seem the same, he is not easily satisfied. Everyday People Cafe is a wonderful restaurant and I am sorry that he took out his distaste for it in a review about my establishment. (He should write a separate review.) By the way, I don't see how I can be held responsible for the summer traffic due to construction from Chicago or the fact that he didn't have a "joyful occasion." A person's own "joy" is dependent upon themselves. Come stay with I, I think you'll be glad you did!
Huntley, Illinois
Reviewed 14 July 2008

This was our first stay at a bed and breakfast, and our first trip to Michigan. The weekend will be forever in our memories and we plan to go back soon.

To start with, the Kirby House is beautiful. The attention to detail and the overall experience cannot be beat. The owners, Ray and Jim, were very friendly and helped us make the most out of our short 2-evening stay. They directed us to local favorites and even helped with directions. They made the stay extra special since we were celebrating a birthday. They provided balloons, cake, and a sign for the door. They even sang Happy Birthday at breakfast! Speaking of the breakfasts, they were outstanding. We are vegetarians and there was always plenty of food to select from. The cookies by the door morning, noon, and night were a great touch too. I think I gained some weight during our short stay (LOL).

We stayed in the Ann Bolyn room which had a very nice private bath adjacent to the room as well as a nice porch overlooking the beautiful pool and hot tub. We lucked out with great weather so we hit the pool a few times. The water was crystal clear and nice and warm.

The Saugatuck/Douglas area is a real gem. There is so much to do and see. So many shopping options and this is no traditional little quaint shopping village, these shops really had some different things that I have never seen before. I was really impressed with the prices too. Things were not marked up as they are in some of our shopping areas in Illinois and Wisconsin. Food was good everywhere we ate, but our two favorite places were in Douglas. You absolutely must try the Everyday People Cafe. The food was outstanding and very reasonably priced. We were completely impressed. The other good place is right across the street at the Fire Dog Grill. This was a beautiful place with a great outdoor eating area.

We will be going back to the Kirby House soon. I can't rate it high enough.

• Liked — The house was beautiful and the staff was wondeful.
  • Disliked — Would have like to pay a little less, but the Kirby House is comparable to other B&B in the area.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cmsxqt
Reviewed 14 October 2007

The Kirby House was our first bed-and-breakfast experience, and likely, our best. Having stayed at other b&bs since then, it still remains at the top of the list. The Kirby House has a delicate balance of everything: privacy yet sociability, comfort yet elegance, modernity yet antiquey, and peaceful yet fun.

To begin, Jim and Ray are extremely friendly, helpful, and sociable. They are interested in their guests and they really take the time to get to know them. Therefore, the guests they attract are similarly fun, easy going, and open-minded folks. Breakfast time is the best; most of the fellow guests are very easy to talk to and the atmosphere isn't pompous. Everyone is welcome at the Kirby House.

Another reason to stay at the Kirby House is for the breakfast menu. Presented buffet style, there is a perfect mix of all kinds of items from gourmet pancakes to omelets. No four course menu of miniature portions that are drawn out and overly etiquette driven. There's good eatin' here and the eatin's quick for those who want to get out early and shop/sightsee.

I recommend The Kirby House for those who want a stress-free experience in an elegant setting without the stuffy attitude.

• Liked — Room size, food, location, hospitality
  • Disliked — No TV
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank whitesandfreak
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 September 2005

For 18 years, my partner and I have spent Labor Day at the Kirby House in Saugatuck/Douglas, Michigan. We love it! The current owners, Ray Riker and Jim Gowran, have really found the perfect formula: warm hosts, gorgeous Victorian home, and breakfasts to die for (thanks Ray!). It is a gay friendly house, but lots of families and straight couples stay here, too. It's a very open and welcoming place.

Check it out. You'll fall in love too.

Stayed September 2005
8 Thank Douglas D
Reviewed 19 February 2005

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Kirby House once per year for the last 5 years. We love it! Jim and Ray are wonderful hosts. The Kirby House is in Douglas-right down the street from Saugatuck. The house is great in winter or summer. The rooms are very comfortable (some have fireplaces) and you can get rooms with a private bathroom. There is an inground pool as well as a hot tub in the back yard. The Breakfast is not to be missed-perfection! Be sure to get the homemade coffeee (we always take some home with us). You will feel at home in this B&B (we have stayed at 2 others in the area, and this is our favorite). One February we were driving to Kirby House from Chicago and there was a terrible snow storm-the driving conditions were terrible and we were tense when we finally arrived late Friday night. As soon as we walked in and smelled the freshly baked cookies, were handed a glass of wine and went to our room where Jim and Ray had put on jazz music, we knew we were in for yet another great weekend.

• Stayed February 2004
6 Thank Essie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
#5 of 24 in Saugatuck
Starlite Resort
Starlite Resort
#1 of 10 in Saugatuck

Been to The Kirby? Share your experiences!