“The Kirby House is like having family to visit in a great resort area.”
Review of The Kirby

The Kirby
Ranked #3 of 7 Douglas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2009

The house is magnificent. I couldn't help but get carried away with it's history, architecture and decor. I felt like I was living in 19th century luxury. Mrs. Kirby was quite a lady.

Ray made sure we felt welcome and that all of our needs were met. The breakfasts were delicious and ample. The atmosphere was always relaxed.

We were directed to fantastic restaurants. I don't believe I've ever eaten so lavishly.

This was definitely the nicest off-season getaway we have experienced.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smittydressage

Reviewed 3 October 2008

The Kirby House is one of my favorite places to stay! I am a Purser with a large airline, and I'm based here in Detroit. I can fly off to some really glamourous destinations all over the world, but I choose to go to beautiful Saugatuck and stay at the wonderful Kirby House. I've been staying here for years, and I find that the owners, (Jim and Ray) are very accomodating, gracious and quite fun! The house is beautiful. Nothing beats having breakfast outside by the pool or out on the beautiful front porch. The pool is wonderful in the summer, and the cozy fireplaces equally wonderful during a snowy winter stay. The variety of guests, young and old, straight and gay/lesbian makes the experiece feel like you are staying with a big family. Thank you Jim and Ray, for always making me feel welcome!--Chris

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank chrisDTW
Reviewed 10 September 2008

Our first trip to Lake Michigan for my boyfriend and I and it was very enjoyable. The Kirby House is immaculately clean with a welcoming atmosphere. Fresh flowers adorned the tables each morning for the 10 am breakfast served under candlelight and the food was especially tasty!! All the amenities from the pool to the porch swing to the player piano that you hear each morning are all worth staying here. If you are going to area of Douglas we would definitely recommend the Kirby House. Thanks Jim and Ray for the hospitality!!

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank dme32875
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Both my partner and I needed a break form the Chicago buzz, my partner Mike told me to find the place, I chose the Kirby House over the others because it had the warmth and charm that indeed made it superior to all the others. The house was imaculate, the landscaping, very lush and colorfull. The wrap around porch including a porch swing gave one the feeling of truly being home.
The Hosts, Jim and Ray each offer the special talents they have, Jim being the host he is, who stopped at nothing to make sure your stay was above your expectation, Ray, with his culinary talents made sure seating was approriate, and on time as 10am the bell rings and my tastebuds stood at attention.
The pool deck area was exceptional, everything required was thought thru for our convenience, towels, chairs, pool toys, including a hot tub which made for a relaxing end to the day.
Jim always made himself available, and would join his guests at the pool for conversation and just being his overall friendly self. Ray made sure every plant was blooming, watered and a view to be seen, especially the roses which would adorn tables create such a wonderful old world atmosphere.
I was sad to depart, but will certainly make Kirby House, my second home on the western shore of Lake Michigan. Thanks again for a restful, relaxing stay. Steve, Chicago, IL

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MikeJM
TheKirbyHouse, Owner at The Kirby, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2008

Steve and Mike:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and to see your smiling faces every morning. We truly do hope you will return for another stay with us!

Jim Gowran

Reviewed 26 July 2008

It's okay. Just okay. The house is dark and gloomy like the owners. There is a palpable unhappiness. If this is supposed to be a joyful occasion, it's not. The room was sufficiently smaller than your smallest swinging cat and the bed was obviously an instrument of torture in the 19th century. The pool is reasonably clean and the breakfast edible. I'd give Saugatuck a miss entirely and go to the beach elsewhere. It's only charm is the treacherous drive through road construction from Chicago. Saugatuck itself is a mis-mash of really, really bad art galleries and over-priced, deep-fried food. On the food note, if anyone suggests you go to "Everyday People's Cafe" remind yourself that for $100 you don't want to be "everyday" and run the other way.

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank Wudja
TheKirbyHouse, Owner at The Kirby, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2008

I love Trip Advisor because of the candid and unbiased reviews. I think that reading ALL reviews of my establishment will give an individual a real sense of Kirby House. So far most of the reviews this user has posted about other establishments all seem the same, he is not easily satisfied. Everyday People Cafe is a wonderful restaurant and I am sorry that he took out his distaste for it in a review about my establishment. (He should write a separate review.) By the way, I don't see how I can be held responsible for the summer traffic due to construction from Chicago or the fact that he didn't have a "joyful occasion." A person's own "joy" is dependent upon themselves. Come stay with I, I think you'll be glad you did!

Reviewed 14 July 2008

This was our first stay at a bed and breakfast, and our first trip to Michigan. The weekend will be forever in our memories and we plan to go back soon.

To start with, the Kirby House is beautiful. The attention to detail and the overall experience cannot be beat. The owners, Ray and Jim, were very friendly and helped us make the most out of our short 2-evening stay. They directed us to local favorites and even helped with directions. They made the stay extra special since we were celebrating a birthday. They provided balloons, cake, and a sign for the door. They even sang Happy Birthday at breakfast! Speaking of the breakfasts, they were outstanding. We are vegetarians and there was always plenty of food to select from. The cookies by the door morning, noon, and night were a great touch too. I think I gained some weight during our short stay (LOL).

We stayed in the Ann Bolyn room which had a very nice private bath adjacent to the room as well as a nice porch overlooking the beautiful pool and hot tub. We lucked out with great weather so we hit the pool a few times. The water was crystal clear and nice and warm.

The Saugatuck/Douglas area is a real gem. There is so much to do and see. So many shopping options and this is no traditional little quaint shopping village, these shops really had some different things that I have never seen before. I was really impressed with the prices too. Things were not marked up as they are in some of our shopping areas in Illinois and Wisconsin. Food was good everywhere we ate, but our two favorite places were in Douglas. You absolutely must try the Everyday People Cafe. The food was outstanding and very reasonably priced. We were completely impressed. The other good place is right across the street at the Fire Dog Grill. This was a beautiful place with a great outdoor eating area.

We will be going back to the Kirby House soon. I can't rate it high enough.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cmsxqt
Reviewed 14 October 2007

The Kirby House was our first bed-and-breakfast experience, and likely, our best. Having stayed at other b&bs since then, it still remains at the top of the list. The Kirby House has a delicate balance of everything: privacy yet sociability, comfort yet elegance, modernity yet antiquey, and peaceful yet fun.

To begin, Jim and Ray are extremely friendly, helpful, and sociable. They are interested in their guests and they really take the time to get to know them. Therefore, the guests they attract are similarly fun, easy going, and open-minded folks. Breakfast time is the best; most of the fellow guests are very easy to talk to and the atmosphere isn't pompous. Everyone is welcome at the Kirby House.

Another reason to stay at the Kirby House is for the breakfast menu. Presented buffet style, there is a perfect mix of all kinds of items from gourmet pancakes to omelets. No four course menu of miniature portions that are drawn out and overly etiquette driven. There's good eatin' here and the eatin's quick for those who want to get out early and shop/sightsee.

I recommend The Kirby House for those who want a stress-free experience in an elegant setting without the stuffy attitude.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whitesandfreak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douglas
Hampton Inn Holland
#2 of 24 in Saugatuck
Sherwood Forest Bed and Breakfast
Best Western Plaza Hotel Saugatuck
Hidden Garden Cottages & Suites

Been to The Kirby? Share your experiences!